Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: Swapping video cards, suggestions, thoughts.....

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Midlands, UK
    Posts
    145

    Swapping video cards, suggestions, thoughts.....

    I have a second PC which uses my 'seconds/spares' - I wanted to swap the video card and see what sort performance the others have. I've done a 'Debian style HD install' on this machine.

    Right, I understand I can boot from the Knoppix CD and it will auto-configure the card, but how do I go about making a permanent change to a HD install?

    I don't really have any good ideas where to start, other than noting what Knoppix auto-detects.....

    I'll be busy reading this forum and Googling in the meantime, hoping for a tool that does this for me! - but any help appreciated.

    Stu.....

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Podunk, Idaho, USA
    Posts
    470
    Boot your cd, and make sure your mouse, and video is working properly, then from a root console mount your hd partition read/write then:

    Backup your existing /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 file on your hard drive which will be at: /mnt/hdXy/etc/X11/XF86Config-4
    (where hdXy corresponds to your hard drive device ie: hda1, hda2, hdb3 etc.)

    I usually add the card module name to the end of the name ie: XF86Config-4-sis, XF86Config-4-nv, XF86Config-4-ati etc.

    then copy the knoppix created file from /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 to /mnt/hdXy/etc/X11/XF86Config-4

    HTH

    ~rock

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Midlands, UK
    Posts
    145
    Many thanks for a quick reply!

    I had a look through the /etc/XF86Config-4 file and it had (lots of) the following clue:-

    "The following line is auto-generated by KNOPPIX mkxf86config"

    - I might play around with this and see what I can break!

    Cheers, Stuart.....

Similar Threads

  1. Swapping CD's under Knoppix
    By mrmr96 in forum General Support
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 03-07-2004, 04:27 AM
  2. Thoughts from a new user
    By Worm in forum Ideas
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-14-2004, 04:13 AM
  3. SB Audigy cards & ATI Radeon ALL-IN-WONDER 7500 Cards
    By ShavedHawk in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 10-01-2003, 04:13 AM
  4. swapping boot partitions
    By ferreter in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 08-29-2003, 02:25 AM
  5. Replies: 5
    Last Post: 07-05-2003, 06:02 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Macintosh Platinum Mouse - Apple 128K 512K 512Ke Mac Plus Lisa IIe M0100 - NEW picture

Macintosh Platinum Mouse - Apple 128K 512K 512Ke Mac Plus Lisa IIe M0100 - NEW

$49.99



Apple Macintosh 512K 1MB MacSnap SCSI 128K ROM 800K + 400K Drive Keyboard Mouse picture

Apple Macintosh 512K 1MB MacSnap SCSI 128K ROM 800K + 400K Drive Keyboard Mouse

$995.00



Apple Macintosh 128k 1984 upgraded to Plus includes keyboard mouse picture

Apple Macintosh 128k 1984 upgraded to Plus includes keyboard mouse

$450.00



Apple Macintosh 128k Desktop computer. Upgraded to 512k picture

Apple Macintosh 128k Desktop computer. Upgraded to 512k

$300.00



Vintage Apple IIe Platinum 128k Computer A2S2128 ~ Powers On picture

Vintage Apple IIe Platinum 128k Computer A2S2128 ~ Powers On

$250.00



Apple IIe Platinum 128k Computer A2S2128 (Powers On) picture

Apple IIe Platinum 128k Computer A2S2128 (Powers On)

$250.00



Apple IIe Platinum 128k Computer A2S2128 ~ (Powers On) picture

Apple IIe Platinum 128k Computer A2S2128 ~ (Powers On)

$250.00



Vintage Apple Macintosh 128K 512K Carrying Case Rainbow Logo Excellent Cond picture

Vintage Apple Macintosh 128K 512K Carrying Case Rainbow Logo Excellent Cond

$140.00



VINTAGE Apple Mac OS X Computer Monitor picture

VINTAGE Apple Mac OS X Computer Monitor

$250.00



EARLY 1984 Apple Macintosh 128K Original ROM SET Dated 1983 TESTED Very RARE picture

EARLY 1984 Apple Macintosh 128K Original ROM SET Dated 1983 TESTED Very RARE

$179.99