Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: Swapping video cards, suggestions, thoughts.....

  1. #1
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Midlands, UK
    Posts
    145

    Swapping video cards, suggestions, thoughts.....

    I have a second PC which uses my 'seconds/spares' - I wanted to swap the video card and see what sort performance the others have. I've done a 'Debian style HD install' on this machine.

    Right, I understand I can boot from the Knoppix CD and it will auto-configure the card, but how do I go about making a permanent change to a HD install?

    I don't really have any good ideas where to start, other than noting what Knoppix auto-detects.....

    I'll be busy reading this forum and Googling in the meantime, hoping for a tool that does this for me! - but any help appreciated.

    Stu.....

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Podunk, Idaho, USA
    Posts
    470
    Boot your cd, and make sure your mouse, and video is working properly, then from a root console mount your hd partition read/write then:

    Backup your existing /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 file on your hard drive which will be at: /mnt/hdXy/etc/X11/XF86Config-4
    (where hdXy corresponds to your hard drive device ie: hda1, hda2, hdb3 etc.)

    I usually add the card module name to the end of the name ie: XF86Config-4-sis, XF86Config-4-nv, XF86Config-4-ati etc.

    then copy the knoppix created file from /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 to /mnt/hdXy/etc/X11/XF86Config-4

    HTH

    ~rock

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Midlands, UK
    Posts
    145
    Many thanks for a quick reply!

    I had a look through the /etc/XF86Config-4 file and it had (lots of) the following clue:-

    "The following line is auto-generated by KNOPPIX mkxf86config"

    - I might play around with this and see what I can break!

    Cheers, Stuart.....

Similar Threads

  1. Swapping CD's under Knoppix
    By mrmr96 in forum General Support
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 03-07-2004, 04:27 AM
  2. Thoughts from a new user
    By Worm in forum Ideas
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-14-2004, 04:13 AM
  3. SB Audigy cards & ATI Radeon ALL-IN-WONDER 7500 Cards
    By ShavedHawk in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 10-01-2003, 04:13 AM
  4. swapping boot partitions
    By ferreter in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 08-29-2003, 02:25 AM
  5. Replies: 5
    Last Post: 07-05-2003, 06:02 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Acer Aspire 14

Acer Aspire 14" AI Copilot+PC Laptop Core Ultra 5 226V Gen 4 ARC 16GB 1TB Refurb

$480.63



WAVLINK Thunderbolt 5 Dock, 13-in-1 TB5 Docking Station with NVMe M.2  picture

WAVLINK Thunderbolt 5 Dock, 13-in-1 TB5 Docking Station with NVMe M.2

$162.98



Dell Latitude 14

Dell Latitude 14" Laptop Computer Intel i5 Up To 32GB RAM 1TB SSD Windows 11 Pro

$372.48



External SSD 1TB 2TB  Portable Hard Drive USB 3.1 Type-C High Speed PC Mac picture

External SSD 1TB 2TB Portable Hard Drive USB 3.1 Type-C High Speed PC Mac

$16.99



Acer Predator Helios Neo 16S AI 16

Acer Predator Helios Neo 16S AI 16" i9 275HX 2S RTX 5070 Ti 32GB 1TB SSD Refurb

$1794.16



SAMSUNG T7 Portable SSD 1TB Indigo Blue USB 3.2 Gen2 External MU-PC1T0H/AM picture

SAMSUNG T7 Portable SSD 1TB Indigo Blue USB 3.2 Gen2 External MU-PC1T0H/AM

$159.99



Fanxiang 1/2/5/10Pcs 2.5'' SATA SSD Lot 1TB 2TB 4TB 512GB 256GB TLC Internal SSD picture

Fanxiang 1/2/5/10Pcs 2.5'' SATA SSD Lot 1TB 2TB 4TB 512GB 256GB TLC Internal SSD

$129.99



Dell ST91000640SS 1TB 2.5

Dell ST91000640SS 1TB 2.5" 6Gb/s 64MB 7.2K RPM SAS Hard Drive Dell P/N: 0VXTPX

$16.99



SGIN 15.6

SGIN 15.6" Laptop 16GB RAM 1TB SSD Win 11 Intel i3-10100Y Backlit Keyboard FHD

$335.99



Dell Latitude 15.6” FHD Core i5 Laptop PC Up To 32GB RAM 1TB SSD Windows 11 picture

Dell Latitude 15.6” FHD Core i5 Laptop PC Up To 32GB RAM 1TB SSD Windows 11

$382.48