Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: Swapping video cards, suggestions, thoughts.....

  1. #1
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Midlands, UK
    Posts
    145

    Swapping video cards, suggestions, thoughts.....

    I have a second PC which uses my 'seconds/spares' - I wanted to swap the video card and see what sort performance the others have. I've done a 'Debian style HD install' on this machine.

    Right, I understand I can boot from the Knoppix CD and it will auto-configure the card, but how do I go about making a permanent change to a HD install?

    I don't really have any good ideas where to start, other than noting what Knoppix auto-detects.....

    I'll be busy reading this forum and Googling in the meantime, hoping for a tool that does this for me! - but any help appreciated.

    Stu.....

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Podunk, Idaho, USA
    Posts
    470
    Boot your cd, and make sure your mouse, and video is working properly, then from a root console mount your hd partition read/write then:

    Backup your existing /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 file on your hard drive which will be at: /mnt/hdXy/etc/X11/XF86Config-4
    (where hdXy corresponds to your hard drive device ie: hda1, hda2, hdb3 etc.)

    I usually add the card module name to the end of the name ie: XF86Config-4-sis, XF86Config-4-nv, XF86Config-4-ati etc.

    then copy the knoppix created file from /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 to /mnt/hdXy/etc/X11/XF86Config-4

    HTH

    ~rock

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Midlands, UK
    Posts
    145
    Many thanks for a quick reply!

    I had a look through the /etc/XF86Config-4 file and it had (lots of) the following clue:-

    "The following line is auto-generated by KNOPPIX mkxf86config"

    - I might play around with this and see what I can break!

    Cheers, Stuart.....

Similar Threads

  1. Swapping CD's under Knoppix
    By mrmr96 in forum General Support
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 03-07-2004, 04:27 AM
  2. Thoughts from a new user
    By Worm in forum Ideas
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-14-2004, 04:13 AM
  3. SB Audigy cards & ATI Radeon ALL-IN-WONDER 7500 Cards
    By ShavedHawk in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 10-01-2003, 04:13 AM
  4. swapping boot partitions
    By ferreter in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 08-29-2003, 02:25 AM
  5. Replies: 5
    Last Post: 07-05-2003, 06:02 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Intel Xeon E5-2680 V2 2.8GHz 10-Core 25MB 8GT/s SR1A6 LGA2011 B Grade Server CPU picture

Intel Xeon E5-2680 V2 2.8GHz 10-Core 25MB 8GT/s SR1A6 LGA2011 B Grade Server CPU

$7.95



NEW HP Z4 G4 Workstation Xeon W-2123 16GB ECC 256GB NVMe NVIDIA T400 750W Win11 picture

NEW HP Z4 G4 Workstation Xeon W-2123 16GB ECC 256GB NVMe NVIDIA T400 750W Win11

$450.00



Dell Precision Tower 7810 Xeon E5-2630 v3 @ 2.40GHz , 32GB Ram, NO HDD, NO OS picture

Dell Precision Tower 7810 Xeon E5-2630 v3 @ 2.40GHz , 32GB Ram, NO HDD, NO OS

$239.99



Intel Xeon Phi 5110P 60-Core 1.053GHz Coprocessor   picture

Intel Xeon Phi 5110P 60-Core 1.053GHz Coprocessor

$50.00



Dell Precision T5820 Workstation 3.70GHz W-2135 No RAM/ GPU/ HDD/ OS picture

Dell Precision T5820 Workstation 3.70GHz W-2135 No RAM/ GPU/ HDD/ OS

$179.98



Lenovo ThinkStation P520c Intel Xeon W-2133 6-Core 3.60GHz -NO RAM/ HDD/ GPU/ OS picture

Lenovo ThinkStation P520c Intel Xeon W-2133 6-Core 3.60GHz -NO RAM/ HDD/ GPU/ OS

$127.54



Dell Precision T7820 2x Xeon Silver 4114 2.20GHz 950W No RAM GPU HDD 4x SATA picture

Dell Precision T7820 2x Xeon Silver 4114 2.20GHz 950W No RAM GPU HDD 4x SATA

$354.48



Intel Xeon E5-2699 V4 2.20GHz 55M 22-CORES LGA2011-3 Server Processor 145W SR2JS picture

Intel Xeon E5-2699 V4 2.20GHz 55M 22-CORES LGA2011-3 Server Processor 145W SR2JS

$84.49



For Parts - Lenovo ThinkServer TS460 Part Number: 70TT-0020UX picture

For Parts - Lenovo ThinkServer TS460 Part Number: 70TT-0020UX

$149.99



HP Z420 Tower Workstation Xeon E5-1620 3.60GHz, 4GB Ram, NO HDD, NO OS picture

HP Z420 Tower Workstation Xeon E5-1620 3.60GHz, 4GB Ram, NO HDD, NO OS

$140.00