-
Knoppix Remaster for Windows Newbies
Hi everyone,
I am a new comer to Knoppix and just love it. Knoppix has a lof of software for both new comers as well as advanced linux gurus. It would be great to have a version of Knoppix for Windows users migrationg to linux. It could have only the programs that are very important for the average PC user. If Some one knows how to do that by remastering Knoppix, I am sure it would become wildly popular. I have a few suggestions for that version.
- should include wireless NIC drivers for almost all known cards in the market.
- Following software programs
Adobe Acrobat reader
F-Prot antivirus
Evolution email (equivalent of Outlook)
Mozilla browser
RipperX - A cd-ripping program
Downloader for X (equivalent of GetRight for windows))
XMMS (equivalent of WinAMP)
A simple graphics program (Linux equivalent of Irfanview for windows)
A ZIP program
K3B for CD burning (with DVD burning support)
A good backup program
Openoffice
QuickTime
Realplayer
VNC
Shockwave
Gaim
gFTP
A program to play VCD, DVi and DVD files (? Mplayer)
Firestarter (equivalent of ZoneAlarm for Windows)
Good support for Palmpilot and PocketPC hotsync
iSiloX for Palm installed.
A network monitor program (like DUmeter for windows)
Other standard utilities for disk partitioning and imaging
A lot of the software currently in Knoppix is used only by advanced users, and can be removed to create space for the above software.
Please suggest other good software for this project. If there is a Linux guru out there who can do this project, it would be absolutely fantastic (I wich I knew how to do it).
Azeem
UDF support (like DirectCD or InCD for windows)
-
Senior Member
registered user
hmm, knoppix has most of those things. One of my remastered iso's comes even closer.
I'm planning on some new iso's based off of jollix and clusterknoppix, so I may be able to add some of your package requests.
-
remaster with gftp, acrobat reader, etc..
it is very easy to remaster the cd to do what you want. My own remaster has 98% of what you listed and works wonderful.
once you have screwed up a few times, like I did. You will learn some of the files you can get rid of to make space for what you want. kde-i18n-*, gettext, latex, koffice sould be enough. I myself made more than enough space for gnome and xfce4, etc..
look for some "unofficial" repositories @ www.apt-get.org for mplayer (and w32codecs), acroread
as for evolution, gftp, etc.. apt-get them
I wish you all the luck, hope it works
freeballer
-
Hi freeballer,
I cannot apt-get to get those programs because what I am talking about, is a Knoppix CD (not HD install) which can be used on any PC with all my favourite applications - ready to go. I am not capable of doing it myself, since I am a techie myself, so I am trying to see if any of the advanced Knoppix users would be able to accomplish that.
Cheers,
Azeem
-
no need for hdinstall
dr_azeem,
no need for hdinstall
if you read http://www.knoppix.net/docs/index.ph...masteringHowto
and have about 5/10 gb HD it's fairly easy to remaster the cd to add whatever you'd like.
even the knoppix novices have had sucess remastering the cd. I myself being one of them. but most novices, like myself, remaster the cd for our own needs. While some of the advance users remaster because they have difference ideas which packages should be installed or what wm (window manager to use)
check out: http://www.knoppix.net/docs/index.ph...Customizations
to see if any of them fit your needs, there are alot to choose from
Similar Threads
-
By chris-uk in forum Customising & Remastering
Replies: 2
Last Post: 01-01-2005, 04:26 PM
-
By Anna in forum The Lounge
Replies: 12
Last Post: 06-10-2004, 11:09 AM
-
By stokesg in forum General Support
Replies: 7
Last Post: 05-05-2004, 11:44 AM
-
By andrei in forum The Lounge
Replies: 9
Last Post: 11-09-2003, 03:16 AM
-
By thewretchedbeaver in forum Customising & Remastering
Replies: 21
Last Post: 02-19-2003, 09:37 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Kingston 32GB 64GB 128GB 256GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Thumb Memory Stick Pen lot
$285.90

24x Micron MT40A512M16LY-062E IT:E 8Gb DDR4-3200 96-FBGA Memory IC
$349.99

24x Micron MT40A512M16LY-062E IT:E 8Gb DDR4-3200 96-FBGA Memory IC
$349.99

Dell 16GB PC4-21300 (DDR4-2666) Memory (SNPPWR5TC16G)
$89.99

USB 3.0 Flash Drive 32GB 64GB 128GB Memory Stick Thumb Stick Lot Pack
$826.09

Transcend 96GB (6x16GB) 2Rx8 PC4-2666V DDR4 ECC UDIMM Server RAM TS2GLH72V6B
$299.00

Samsung 32GB DDR4-2666V-2Rx4-RB2-12 RAM M393A4K40CB2-CTD6Q
$169.00

USB 3.0 Micro SD SDHC TF Card Reader Memory Adapter for PC Laptop Camera lot
$3.75

TF/SD Card Adapter Camera Reader Android Type-c For iPhone17 Pro Max Plusm lot
$573.98

Samsung Planet First 8GB 2Rx4 PC3-10600R
$341.00