Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 16

Thread: How to install Knoppix 3.3

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    1

    How to install Knoppix 3.3

    Hello,
    After trying to get RedHat, Debian, and SuSE to work and the installer not working for any of them (I still have no clue why), I thought I'd try Knoppix. I formatted the hard drive from DOS as FAT, then booted from the CD (version 3.3). I'm seeing stuff about being able to install Knoppix somehow though, can someone tell me how to do it?

    My main problem right now is that Knoppix keeps locking up whenever I try to run anything; I've got a 6 GB hard drive, 256 MB of RAM (although no swap space yet), and a 633 MHz processor, and I can't see any reason why it's locking up. I'm guessing that by installing Knoppix that it has a smoother performance, but I need to know how to do this. Any help is very welcome!

    Thanks,
    - Smiley

  2. #2
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    13
    i think the command is knoppix-installer

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Beijing
    Posts
    51
    Do you intend to dual-boot? The reason I ask is so you can partition your disks differently...

    If you intend to install just Knoppix-Debian then you'd probably do okaywith making one primary partition for '/', one one FAT32 partition (I'll explain why in a bit, maybe just around 800 MB?), and one 512 mb swap partition.

    Now why the FAT32 partition? Well, you can copy the 'knoppix' folder from the Knoppix CD onto that partition and make a boot floppy from there. It's called an HD based install and you can read more about it here.

    From the HOWTO:
    1.4. Run Microsoft Windows, copy Knoppix to HD & make it bootable with bootfloppy

    Also called "poormans install"

    NOTE: The partition (i.e. drive) that you are copying to (the D partition in the example below) must be a fat32 partition. If it is NTFS, the install will not boot.

    * Copy the CD:\KNOPPIX\KNOPPIX file to HD:\KNOPPIX\

    E:\KNOPPIX\>mkdir D:\KNOPPIX
    E:\KNOPPIX\>copy KNOPPIX D:\KNOPPIX\
    1 files(s) copied

    * Make the bootfloppy. Start "mkfloppy.bat" on the CD in the KNOPPIX folder.

    E:\KNOPPIX\>mkfloppy

    * Boot from the floppy. It should scan for the KNOPPIX file and find it on the harddisk.
    * Enjoy

    It will function as if it's the live CD but your hard drive may offer better performance. Now open up a konsole, type 'su' (press return) then type "knoppix-installer"( press return), that should get you started. I suggest you start from the option to partition your hard drive so you can set up your swap and ext3 partitions.

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Iowa U.S.A.
    Posts
    226
    Hi Ulaire Smiley,

    Your sysem numbers look good. Are you haveing
    freeze ups when working from the CD boot?

    If so you may want to try some of the "no" boot
    cheat codes. Try especially nodm although this may
    be by default off.

    See DOCS and cheat codes.

    If this doesn't help tell us more specifics of what
    is on you computer.

    Best Wishes
    paradocs

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Morristown.TN
    Posts
    2
    just a thought, if those various installers didn't work...u might try checking the jumpers on your drives and see if they are set for proper master or slave RATHER THAN Cable Select. I ran into this many moons ago with various linux versions. I had hurriedly installed a new drive w/o checking the jumper, caught it many tries later. gl

  6. #6
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    1

    knoppix full cd

    how can i download the full iso of knoppix not knoppix live cd i like to hafe it on my pc not in the cd

  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Beijing
    Posts
    51
    Huh?

    The live CD -- IS -- the full CD...

  8. #8
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    14
    I think he is asking about installing Knoppix on the Hard Disk. What you need to do is to :
    - boot what you called "Live CD" Knoppix
    - Press Ctrl -Alt-F1. This will open a terminal session window.
    - You might have to hit return in that window to get the prompt
    - enter knx-hdinstall. This will lead you through the process of creating partitions (swap & /). The full procedure was on this site and I can't find it any more. I recently did that and the installtion went OK except the reboot failed. I have posted a message to see if any one has ideas and haven't heard yet.

    May be you will have better luck.

    -Abe

  9. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Beijing
    Posts
    51
    You can also use 'knoppix-installer' in place of knx-hdinstall. Easy and no probs with it so far.

  10. #10
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    14
    As I understand it, 'knoppix-installer' makes a copy of the CD which is compressed and does not allow you to add other apps. I prefer using Knx-hdinstall because it does create a normal Debian install but a lot easier than standard debian install.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Apt-get better with Debian install than Knoppix install?
    By susanjohnson in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 04-21-2005, 11:36 AM
  2. Upgrade Knoppix 3.6 HDD install to Knoppix 3.7 HDD install
    By techdesk in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-21-2005, 03:14 AM
  3. Knoppix install read error around 80%, install another way?
    By nmz787 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 11-21-2004, 09:17 AM
  4. Knoppix HDD install Vs. regular Debian install
    By Jez in forum General Support
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 08-09-2004, 09:06 PM
  5. saving home from hd-install, so i can install new knoppix
    By Superstoned in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 08-27-2003, 03:04 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Vintage Timbuk2 Crossbody Messenger Bag Forest Green/ Black  Y2k USA Made picture

Vintage Timbuk2 Crossbody Messenger Bag Forest Green/ Black Y2k USA Made

$85.00



Vintage Computer - PC Innovation Intel 486DX2 - Dos Ver 6.2 Windows 3.1 picture

Vintage Computer - PC Innovation Intel 486DX2 - Dos Ver 6.2 Windows 3.1

$250.00



Vintage Jetway J-620BF Socket 370 Celeron AT Motherboard SiS 620 Brand New picture

Vintage Jetway J-620BF Socket 370 Celeron AT Motherboard SiS 620 Brand New

$75.00



Vintage HP Hewlett Packard 2112A 21MX 1000 M-Series 16-Bit Minicomputer picture

Vintage HP Hewlett Packard 2112A 21MX 1000 M-Series 16-Bit Minicomputer

$419.99



Vintage Cherry W. Germany G80-0486H/05 Mechanical 25-Pin D-Sub Keyboard M8 picture

Vintage Cherry W. Germany G80-0486H/05 Mechanical 25-Pin D-Sub Keyboard M8

$170.99



Vintage cross Apple computer branded pen rainbow logo In original box picture

Vintage cross Apple computer branded pen rainbow logo In original box

$100.00



Vintage Apple computer Cross Metal Ballpoint Pen Black Ink Gold Trim picture

Vintage Apple computer Cross Metal Ballpoint Pen Black Ink Gold Trim

$125.00



Lot 14 Vintage ISA VGA Video Cards Trident CHIPS UMC 8-Bit 16-Bit 286 386 486 picture

Lot 14 Vintage ISA VGA Video Cards Trident CHIPS UMC 8-Bit 16-Bit 286 386 486

$199.95



Vintage Microsoft Office 4.2 for Windows Original Floppy Disks & Manuals 1994 picture

Vintage Microsoft Office 4.2 for Windows Original Floppy Disks & Manuals 1994

$119.99



ASUS A7V333 Vintage Motherboard | Untested | For Parts picture

ASUS A7V333 Vintage Motherboard | Untested | For Parts

$44.89