Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: What can I (and possibly others) safely remove

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Posts
    3

    What can I (and possibly others) safely remove

    Hey!

    I would like to make a customized knoppix with basically just kde running and displaying a webpage. So it seems to me that I can safely remove everything that hasn't got to do with kde, apache, php and mysql.

    But I am really afraid that things might crash, i.e., that I remove packages that are needed for the hardware-discovering process, libs that are essential or anything that might interfere with basic functons.

    So I assume that I can save a lot of space by removing tetex-* and *emacs*-Packages, as well as koffice, abiword and those games (OOffice hast to stay ), yet there seems to be so much stuff left on the cd. I am aiming at a basic iso-Size of 300-400 Megs. Any Suggestions on what else I can remove?

    Any suggestions are greatly appreciated. Thanks a lot,
    Christoph

  2. #2
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Surabaya - Indonesia
    Posts
    28
    remove all international language support, except English

    install localepurge

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts
    2,479
    Quote Originally Posted by budhy
    remove all international language support, except English

    install localepurge
    And when you install localepurge make sure you edit the file /etc/locale.gen if it still contains the excess locales you do not want or they will still be generated next time the locales program is updated and check /etc/locale.nopurge to make sure that your locales you want to keep are in there as well.

Similar Threads

  1. What files can I safely delete from My HD
    By Mustang64 in forum General Support
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 12-14-2004, 03:06 AM
  2. NTFS: Read-Write Safely with INSERT (Knoppix-based)
    By David Ormsby-Gore in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 07-08-2004, 10:10 AM
  3. remaster (possibly DVD) with latex/kile and 2.6.5 only?
    By niknik in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-05-2004, 07:53 PM
  4. 64-bit CD Possibly?
    By linuxrob in forum Ideas
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-23-2004, 01:40 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Dell 6P85J 4TB ST4000NM0063 7.2k 6Gb/s 3.5” SAS SED Hard Drive with Tray picture

Dell 6P85J 4TB ST4000NM0063 7.2k 6Gb/s 3.5” SAS SED Hard Drive with Tray

$39.99



Western Digital HUS726T4TAL5204 4TB 7.2K SAS 12Gb/s 3.5

Western Digital HUS726T4TAL5204 4TB 7.2K SAS 12Gb/s 3.5" 512e HDD NetApp X375A

$64.00



Seagate BarraCuda 28TB 7.2K SATA 6Gb/s 3.5in Internal HDD ST28000DM000 - Tested picture

Seagate BarraCuda 28TB 7.2K SATA 6Gb/s 3.5in Internal HDD ST28000DM000 - Tested

$670.00



Seagate ST12000NM0127 12TB 256MB 7200RPM 3.5

Seagate ST12000NM0127 12TB 256MB 7200RPM 3.5" SATA 6.0Gb/s Enterprise Hard Drive

$318.99



Seagate ST4000NM0034 Enterprise 4TB 7200RPM SAS 12Gb/s HDD v4 picture

Seagate ST4000NM0034 Enterprise 4TB 7200RPM SAS 12Gb/s HDD v4

$39.00



Seagate ST500DM009 BarraCuda 500 GB 3.5

Seagate ST500DM009 BarraCuda 500 GB 3.5" SATA III Desktop Hard Drive

$14.99



HGST HUS724040ALA640 HDD 4TB SATA 6Gb/s 7.5K 3.5

HGST HUS724040ALA640 HDD 4TB SATA 6Gb/s 7.5K 3.5" 0F19459 512 b/s

$78.00



Toshiba 14TB MG07 MG07ACA14TEY 7.2K RPM SATA 6Gb/s 512e 3.5

Toshiba 14TB MG07 MG07ACA14TEY 7.2K RPM SATA 6Gb/s 512e 3.5" Enterprise HDD

$329.00



DELL 2TB Enterprise HDD (7200RPM, 3.5

DELL 2TB Enterprise HDD (7200RPM, 3.5", SATA III, 128MB Cache) HUS722T2TALA600

$49.95



Seagate ST8000NM0075 Enterprise Capacity 3.5 HDD 8TB SAS Hard Drive 8TB EXOS picture

Seagate ST8000NM0075 Enterprise Capacity 3.5 HDD 8TB SAS Hard Drive 8TB EXOS

$184.99