Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: FTP: Which deamon is used?/ How to restart this deamon?

  1. #1
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    54

    FTP: Which deamon is used?/ How to restart this deamon?

    I've turned my knoppix box, running from CD, into an ftp-server. I use the command
    Code:
    /etc/init.d/inetd
    to start it.
    To configure it right I need to know which deamon is started.
    I know it's not proftp.
    Does anyone know which one knoppix uses?

    I need to know this, so I can find out how to restart it after reconfiguration.

    Thanks.

  2. #2
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    73
    it uses ftpd iirc.

  3. #3
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    54
    Thanks. Now I know which man-pages I should look at.

  4. #4
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    54
    Tigren,

    Are you sure? I can not find any howto's or man-pages on that.

  5. #5
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    73
    works for me:
    ftpd - Internet File Transfer Protocol server
    .

  6. #6
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    54
    How do you restart the ftp deamon?

  7. #7
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    USA, IL
    Posts
    1,041
    --Why do you not want to use inetd for this? What are you trying to accomplish, in other words...

    --I normally use xinetd myself, but on debian it's kind of a pain. Right now I've got proftpd running standalone, outside of inetd.

    Quote Originally Posted by Hermanh
    How do you restart the ftp deamon?

  8. #8
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    54
    I use inetd. I try to get security arranged. I know some people who know a lot about Linux. They all say that I should restart the deamon and not inetd to get chroot working.
    I (maybe just a little bit simple) thougth I just stop inetd and restart it. But those people say: No you should restart the deamon, not inetd, which is just the Superserver. They do not know which deamon it is, and I do not know which deamon it is. So how can I restart it.
    I just want to change the root of the remote user to /mnt/hda1/ftp. So he can not see the whole distro.

    (Next step will be tunneling trhough SSH).

  9. #9
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    1

    Starting ftp daemon as a service

    sorry, I'm not a big fan of initd. I do understand the point behind it, for example minimize resources but for the purpose of this it's best to start FTP as a dedicated service...

    here's an alternative to INITD which starts ftp daemon as a standalone dedicated service.

    # -D = Detach and become deamon
    # -h = Passive mode

    /usr/sbin/in.ftpd -Dh

    The ftp accounts are controled via passwd (standard Unix authentication) ...

    /usr/sbin/adduser ftpuser
    # or whatever it is

    I believe when logging into FTP you will default into your Home directory.
    From there you can simply create soft links to other directories.

    ln -s /mnt/hda1 /ramdisk/home/ftpuser/hda1

Similar Threads

  1. restart or reboot?
    By elbarto in forum General Support
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 11-27-2004, 04:49 AM
  2. Starting Terminal Server Deamon at start up
    By mbokoma in forum Networking
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-28-2004, 02:18 AM
  3. How to restart
    By dex in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 11-10-2003, 12:29 PM
  4. How to make executable run as deamon ?
    By ktheking in forum General Support
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 09-15-2003, 11:11 PM
  5. starting a http deamon, and setting a shared folder
    By punk000 in forum General Support
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 07-08-2003, 06:37 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Dell Precision T5820 Workstation 3.70GHz W-2135 No RAM/ GPU/ HDD/ OS picture

Dell Precision T5820 Workstation 3.70GHz W-2135 No RAM/ GPU/ HDD/ OS

$179.98



Dell Precision Tower 7810 Xeon E5-2630 v3 @ 2.40GHz , 32GB Ram, NO HDD, NO OS picture

Dell Precision Tower 7810 Xeon E5-2630 v3 @ 2.40GHz , 32GB Ram, NO HDD, NO OS

$239.99



Dell Precision T7820 2x Xeon Silver 4114 2.20GHz 950W No RAM GPU HDD 4x SATA picture

Dell Precision T7820 2x Xeon Silver 4114 2.20GHz 950W No RAM GPU HDD 4x SATA

$350.48



Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram  2x 550W PSU No HDD picture

Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD

$275.00



INTEL XEON E5-2680V4 SR2N7 2.40GHZ CPU picture

INTEL XEON E5-2680V4 SR2N7 2.40GHZ CPU

$11.00



Intel Xeon E5-2699 V4 2.20GHz 55M 22-CORES LGA2011-3 Server Processor 145W SR2JS picture

Intel Xeon E5-2699 V4 2.20GHz 55M 22-CORES LGA2011-3 Server Processor 145W SR2JS

$84.49



DELL Precision 5820 Workstation Xeon W-2123 3.6ghz/NO RAM/NO SSD/P400 Vid picture

DELL Precision 5820 Workstation Xeon W-2123 3.6ghz/NO RAM/NO SSD/P400 Vid

$139.99



Genuine Intel Xeon W-2145 3.70Ghz  8 Cores LGA2066 CPU SR3LQ Tested USA SELLER  picture

Genuine Intel Xeon W-2145 3.70Ghz 8 Cores LGA2066 CPU SR3LQ Tested USA SELLER

$94.94



A Mini Windows Server w Xeon E3 Processor & (2) 500GB Hard Drive-Home/Industrial picture

A Mini Windows Server w Xeon E3 Processor & (2) 500GB Hard Drive-Home/Industrial

$319.00



Dell PowerEdge FX2s + 8x FC430 Blades 16x E5-2630v4 160 Cores Rails No PSU/RAM picture

Dell PowerEdge FX2s + 8x FC430 Blades 16x E5-2630v4 160 Cores Rails No PSU/RAM

$699.00