it uses ftpd iirc.
I've turned my knoppix box, running from CD, into an ftp-server. I use the commandto start it.Code:/etc/init.d/inetd
To configure it right I need to know which deamon is started.
I know it's not proftp.
Does anyone know which one knoppix uses?
I need to know this, so I can find out how to restart it after reconfiguration.
Thanks.
it uses ftpd iirc.
Thanks. Now I know which man-pages I should look at.
Tigren,
Are you sure? I can not find any howto's or man-pages on that.
works for me:
ftpd - Internet File Transfer Protocol server
.
How do you restart the ftp deamon?
--Why do you not want to use inetd for this? What are you trying to accomplish, in other words...
--I normally use xinetd myself, but on debian it's kind of a pain. Right now I've got proftpd running standalone, outside of inetd.
Originally Posted by Hermanh
I use inetd. I try to get security arranged. I know some people who know a lot about Linux. They all say that I should restart the deamon and not inetd to get chroot working.
I (maybe just a little bit simple) thougth I just stop inetd and restart it. But those people say: No you should restart the deamon, not inetd, which is just the Superserver. They do not know which deamon it is, and I do not know which deamon it is. So how can I restart it.
I just want to change the root of the remote user to /mnt/hda1/ftp. So he can not see the whole distro.
(Next step will be tunneling trhough SSH).
sorry, I'm not a big fan of initd. I do understand the point behind it, for example minimize resources but for the purpose of this it's best to start FTP as a dedicated service...
here's an alternative to INITD which starts ftp daemon as a standalone dedicated service.
# -D = Detach and become deamon
# -h = Passive mode
/usr/sbin/in.ftpd -Dh
The ftp accounts are controled via passwd (standard Unix authentication) ...
/usr/sbin/adduser ftpuser
# or whatever it is
I believe when logging into FTP you will default into your Home directory.
From there you can simply create soft links to other directories.
ln -s /mnt/hda1 /ramdisk/home/ftpuser/hda1

Macintosh Platinum Mouse - Apple 128K 512K 512Ke Mac Plus Lisa IIe M0100 - NEW
$49.99
1984 APPLE MACINTOSH 128K FIRST MAC Model M0001 PICASSO KIT Discs Harvard Rare
$1800.00
1984 APPLE MACINTOSH 128K MATCHING # BOX Set Original Mac Model M0001 WORKS RARE
$6299.00
Apple Macintosh 128k Desktop computer. Upgraded to 512k
$300.00
Vintage Apple Macintosh 128K 512K Carrying Case Rainbow Logo Excellent Cond
$140.00
Apple Keyboard and Cable for Macintosh 128k 512k Mac Plus RARE Vintage M0110
$129.99
Macintosh Platinum Mouse - Apple 128K 512K 512Ke Mac Plus Lisa IIe M0100 - NEW
$59.99
Vintage Early Week 12 1984 Apple Macintosh 128K Computer M0001 w/Analog Board+
$209.99
Apple Keyboard for Macintosh 128k 512k Mac Plus RARE Vintage M0110 (010)
$149.00
Apple Macintosh Mac 128k - 512k Boot / Diagnostics 2 Disk Set for Classic Macs
$14.99