-
How to start HD knoppix with just CD?
How do I start a harddisk-installed Knoppix using just the Knoppix CD? That is, boot off CD, but run off hard disk?
I installed Knoppix 3.3 onto my laptop's hard disk (hda4) using knx-hdinstall. I did not make a boot floppy as I do not have a floppy drive. I did not specify LILO as I did not want to mess up my finicky WinXP partitions. I thought I could specify at the Knoppix CD boot prompt, something to boot off hda4, using "knoppix fromhd=/dev/hda4", but that did not work. I then tried downloading loadlin.exe and used the hda4's vmlinuz, but I get a message that the WinXP command prompt is not really DOS. I tried (as root in CD Knoppix) mounting /mnt/hda4 and then doing a chroot, but it still ran off the CD.
Can someone help? I want to boot off the Knoppix CD and somehow get the hard disk Knoppix to then take over.
Thanks in advance!
Lynn
Similar Threads
-
By Barton71 in forum General Support
Replies: 4
Last Post: 03-05-2005, 06:03 PM
-
By ahnaqsh in forum General Support
Replies: 2
Last Post: 12-01-2004, 05:32 AM
-
By banevere in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 0
Last Post: 02-22-2004, 08:31 AM
-
By Login_Here in forum General Support
Replies: 1
Last Post: 02-19-2004, 05:24 AM
-
By mundhra_ritesh in forum General Support
Replies: 3
Last Post: 04-08-2003, 05:42 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

(New) AMD Ryzen 7 5700X 8 Core 16 Thread AM4 Unlocked 3.4 GHz CPU OEM Tray
$169.99

Intel Core i9-9900K SRG19 3.60GHz 16MB 8-Core LGA1151 B Grade CPU Processor
$175.00

HP EliteBook 840 G5 Laptop Intel Core i5 7200U 8GB RAM – No HDD
$64.00

AMD Ryzen 7 7700X 8-Core, 16-Thread Unlocked Desktop Processor
$250.00

AMD RYZEN 7 9800X3D 8-Core, 16-Thread Desktop Processor
$399.00

AMD Ryzen 5 PRO 4650GE 100-000000153 6-Core 3.30GHz 8MB AM4 CPU Processor
$59.99

Intel Xeon E5 - 2667V2 / SR19W 3.30GHz 25MB 8-Core CPU Socket LGA2011
$30.00

AMD Ryzen 7 9700X 8-Core 16-Thread 40MB Cache Socket AM5 9000 Series Processor
$245.99

Dell T7810 Workstation 8-Core 2.40GHz E5-2630 v3 No RAM GPU HDD OS
$259.98

Dell OptiPlex 5070 SFF i7-9700 (8-Core) 3.0GHz 16GB 256 SSD Windows 11
$250.00