Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: initrd or not?

  1. #1
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    46

    initrd or not?

    I have knoppix v. 3.2 installed on my hd and it works quit fine,
    but now I wanna install a standard kernel (2.4.22) which I have patched for
    xfs and Win4lin. The kernel compiles just fine with no errors, but I can't boot
    Can anybody tell when I need to make an initrd...... .img ( and initrd.... .img entry in lilo.config) and when not if I install and compile a new kernel??

    ps I installed and compiled kernel before (with debian-way) succesfully which
    also gave me an initrd...img file , but then win4lin-patch didn't work , now
    I compiled and installed with classic linux-way : make dep, clean , bzImage,
    modules , modules install.

    When do I need to use initrd?

    Thanks,
    jackren

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Muscat.Oman
    Posts
    262

    Re: initrd or not?

    Quote Originally Posted by jackren
    When do I need to use initrd?
    You only need initrd if the file system for the partition where knoppix is installed is compiled as a module. Check your .config file if the line for the file system is "m" for example "reiserfs=m". If it is " reiserfs=y" then you don't need initrd.

    I recommend that you compile with the fs into the kernel(filesystem=y) as I have done this many times before. Creating the initrd file is a bit difficult.

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    2
    What I did as part of installing 2.6.0-test11 on SuSE9 is
    mkinitrd -k vmlinuz-2.6.0-test11 -i initrd-2.6.0-test11
    ln -sf /boot/initrd-2.6.0-test11 /boot/initrd

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Muscat.Oman
    Posts
    262
    Jackren,
    I am just curious,2.4.22 kernel comes with the latest 3.3 knoppix. Why do you need to compile with 2.4.22?

  5. #5
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    46
    because I have installed knoppix 3.2 and done a lot of work to get scanner
    working and installed kde 3.2 and amny other programs and don't wanna start all over if I install knoppix 3.3 plus I need to get Win4lin working.

    But I do know now when to use initrd, thanks

Similar Threads

  1. Initrd after kernel rebuild?
    By juerg in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-08-2005, 02:45 PM
  2. how to recreate initrd.img for 2.4.26 in knoppix 3.4?
    By tnorala in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-13-2004, 08:32 AM
  3. How do you recreate initrd?
    By hbomb in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 04-11-2004, 12:25 AM
  4. lilo and initrd=
    By knulle in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-17-2004, 07:45 PM
  5. What is this initrd=/boot/initrd.gz
    By alex52 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 02-01-2004, 06:08 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


(New) AMD Ryzen 7 5700X 8 Core 16 Thread AM4 Unlocked 3.4 GHz CPU OEM Tray picture

(New) AMD Ryzen 7 5700X 8 Core 16 Thread AM4 Unlocked 3.4 GHz CPU OEM Tray

$169.99



Intel Core i9-9900K SRG19 3.60GHz 16MB 8-Core LGA1151 B Grade CPU Processor picture

Intel Core i9-9900K SRG19 3.60GHz 16MB 8-Core LGA1151 B Grade CPU Processor

$175.00



HP Pavilion Laptop Computer 15.6 8-Core Intel i3 8GB RAM 628GB Storage, Open Box picture

HP Pavilion Laptop Computer 15.6 8-Core Intel i3 8GB RAM 628GB Storage, Open Box

$299.00



Dell OptiPlex 5070 SFF i7-9700 (8-Core) 3.0GHz 16GB 256 SSD Windows 11 picture

Dell OptiPlex 5070 SFF i7-9700 (8-Core) 3.0GHz 16GB 256 SSD Windows 11

$250.00



AMD RYZEN 7 9800X3D 8-Core, 16-Thread Desktop Processor picture

AMD RYZEN 7 9800X3D 8-Core, 16-Thread Desktop Processor

$399.00



Apple Macbook Pro 13

Apple Macbook Pro 13" M1 8-Core 16GB 512GB - Good

$464.99



AMD Ryzen 5 PRO 4650GE 100-000000153 6-Core 3.30GHz 8MB AM4 CPU Processor picture

AMD Ryzen 5 PRO 4650GE 100-000000153 6-Core 3.30GHz 8MB AM4 CPU Processor

$59.99



AMD Ryzen 7 9700X 8-Core 16-Thread 40MB Cache Socket AM5 9000 Series Processor picture

AMD Ryzen 7 9700X 8-Core 16-Thread 40MB Cache Socket AM5 9000 Series Processor

$245.99



Dell T7810 Workstation 8-Core 2.40GHz E5-2630 v3 No RAM GPU HDD OS picture

Dell T7810 Workstation 8-Core 2.40GHz E5-2630 v3 No RAM GPU HDD OS

$259.98



AMD Ryzen 7 9800X3D 8-Core 16-Thread AM5 CPU Processor Brand New Unused picture

AMD Ryzen 7 9800X3D 8-Core 16-Thread AM5 CPU Processor Brand New Unused

$365.00