Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 26

Thread: Current status of knoppix on Dell machines?

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    555

    Current status of knoppix on Dell machines?

    Hello, I find it embarrassing when handing over a knoppix CD to someone
    to have to warn them not to try it on a Dell computer. Thats's because
    problems of lost bios settings have occured iin the past if memory serves.
    Is this problem resolved in more recent betas? Say 3.3 or with 2.4.22 kernel?
    If not which are the affected models, and what's the cure if anyone
    encounters it?

    Thanks in advance,

    --bald.

  2. #2
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    3

    Status of Dell Machines

    I don't want to give a sense of false security because I was unaware of any problems with Dell machines. But I have been using it with my Dell 2300 for about 2 weeks and have found no ill effects from it.

    Is there something I should be aware of?
    BTW I am running 3.3

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    3
    I'm not sure about anyone else, but I got Knoppix working fine on my Dell Inspiron 600M Laptop. I've also used it to troubleshoot other people's windows machines. I can't remember specific model numbers, but one was an older Dell Laptop and the other was a Dell desktop. I can't remember what version of Knoppix it is but it seems like I downloaded it ages ago. I'll try to remember to post when I get home from the office...

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    555

    Re: Status of Dell Machines

    Quote Originally Posted by os2mac
    Is there something I should be aware of?
    Just do a search for "dell" or "inspiron" on this site. But I hope this a past
    problem, and your post seems to confirm it. If people who have reported
    problems in the past could confirm it vanished with recent knoppix versions,
    that'd be useful to know...

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Posts
    7
    Have no problems on my dell lattitude other than i can't load the zip drive.

  6. #6
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    692
    I've run it successfully on a Latitude C610 at work, too.

  7. #7
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    3

    Dell Status

    I checked the posts and they all seem to apply to the Inspiron and Optiplex lines. I have a Dimension. and this has had no problems.

  8. #8
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragan
    I'm not sure about anyone else, but I got Knoppix working fine on my Dell Inspiron 600M Laptop. I've also used it to troubleshoot other people's windows machines. I can't remember specific model numbers, but one was an older Dell Laptop and the other was a Dell desktop. I can't remember what version of Knoppix it is but it seems like I downloaded it ages ago. I'll try to remember to post when I get home from the office...

    I'm running 3.2 on my Inspiron 600M...

  9. #9
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    10
    3.3 seems to work fine on my Inspiron 8200. Only thing that doesn't work is the wifi card (1180), but it doesn't run in any linux distro (without that windows driver loader thing).

  10. #10
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Europe
    Posts
    148
    Knoppix 3.2/3.3 runs fine on an Inspiron 8100 as long as a HDD is present (!?!) - recently I had to have the HDD replaceed, so I removed it ready to hand over to the courier. I then attempted to boot from a Knoppix CD. No go. Didn't want to know. Later that day when I had the replacement HDD installed (but not necessarily formatted etc) I *could* boot from CD. yeah whatever!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. What's the current apt repository for java?
    By TimWhite in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 12-29-2004, 01:03 AM
  2. 3.4 CD won't boot on two machines
    By cottlestonpie in forum General Support
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 07-14-2004, 02:22 AM
  3. Remastered CD cannot boot on certain machines
    By pendrag in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 06-29-2004, 08:19 AM
  4. how to connect two Knoppix machines
    By andrei in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 11-10-2003, 12:39 PM
  5. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-14-2003, 11:48 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Gigabyte 4U AI Server 10x Nvidia GPU 2x Xeon Gold 6150 36 Core 2.7GHz DDR4 RAM picture

Gigabyte 4U AI Server 10x Nvidia GPU 2x Xeon Gold 6150 36 Core 2.7GHz DDR4 RAM

$1625.00



Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram  2x 550W PSU No HDD picture

Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD

$275.00



Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Cores / 64gb / Raid / 2x 1Tb picture

Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Cores / 64gb / Raid / 2x 1Tb

$374.99



867959-B21 HPE ProLiant DL360 G10 CTO Server W/ 2x 865414-B21 1x 840140-001 picture

867959-B21 HPE ProLiant DL360 G10 CTO Server W/ 2x 865414-B21 1x 840140-001

$245.00



Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W picture

Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W

$409.99



Dell PowerEdge R730XD 28 Core Server 2X Xeon E5-2680 V4 H730 32GB RAM No HDD picture

Dell PowerEdge R730XD 28 Core Server 2X Xeon E5-2680 V4 H730 32GB RAM No HDD

$378.93



Dell EMC PowerEdge R740 8 Bay Server w/ 32GB RAM 2x GOLD 6132 2x 1600W PSU H730p picture

Dell EMC PowerEdge R740 8 Bay Server w/ 32GB RAM 2x GOLD 6132 2x 1600W PSU H730p

$499.88



Dell PowerEdge R640  8xSFF Server Barebone 2 x Heat Sink w / 2x 1100W PSU picture

Dell PowerEdge R640 8xSFF Server Barebone 2 x Heat Sink w / 2x 1100W PSU

$315.00



Microsoft Windows Server 2025 Standard 64Bit 16 Core-50 CALs DVD With Key Sealed picture

Microsoft Windows Server 2025 Standard 64Bit 16 Core-50 CALs DVD With Key Sealed

$41.19



Microsoft Windows Server 2025 Datacenter 64Bit 24 Core 50 cal Freeshipping picture

Microsoft Windows Server 2025 Datacenter 64Bit 24 Core 50 cal Freeshipping

$54.99