-
Toshiba Notebook Display too small
I ran Koppix from the CD on my Tosibia 650mhz Celaron and the windows are small, and xchat, for example is small and centered in the middle of the screen, I can not make it any bigger...
any suggestions?
-
Junior Member
registered user
Hi, I run into the same thing everytime I run knoppix from cd, to solve this problem you have to get knoppix to use vesa as its video mode. I'm not sure how to do that, search the site. But since I have knoppix installed on my hd, vesa mode takes up the whole screen. It would be nice if 1440x900 video res. was supported as my monitor is 17inch wide screen on a toshiba laptop.
-
Senior Member
registered user
talking about vesa, I learnt a nice little trick from spblinux's author. One can use mplayer to query what vesa mode is supported by the display chip by :
mplayer -v some_video_file > log
the log would contain all the available one for the vga= parameter. Though it is listed in hex and somehow 512(decimal) is needed to be added to the value to come out the proper vga= value.
So one can always boot with vga=normal and fine out what vesa modes is there then later fix that in the boot configure in LILO/GRUB for future use, should vesa is needed.
-
Ah ok..
Though I still do not know how to run Versa.
What command do I need to run at the "boot" command to get it to get it to work?
-
Senior Member
registered user

Originally Posted by
Kamakize
Ah ok..
Though I still do not know how to run Versa.
What command do I need to run at the "boot" command to get it to get it to work?
Try using the frame buffer when you boot with fb1024x768 at the prompt.
-
How the heck do I do this?
SOmeone giove me what I should do at boot.
Thanks!
-
Junior Member
registered user
Press f2 at boot prompt and look at the knoppix cheats on top
-
Still No luck. I have tried to do screen= , i tired expert, tried dont detect monitor.. still disaplays just in the center of the screen...
-
Senior Member
registered user
try "knoppix xserver=XFree86 xmodule=fbdev fb1024x768"
-
Senior Member
registered user

Originally Posted by
baldyeti
try "knoppix xserver=XFree86 xmodule=fbdev fb1024x768"
The knoppix at the start is not needed the fb1024x768 is a kernel image just like the knoppix the correct line would be:
Code:
fb1024x768 cheat_code cheat_code .....
Similar Threads
-
By pschuett in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 1
Last Post: 02-25-2005, 04:07 PM
-
By the_viper in forum Laptops
Replies: 0
Last Post: 01-06-2005, 07:56 PM
-
By merlin232 in forum Laptops
Replies: 6
Last Post: 09-24-2004, 04:51 PM
-
By gacjr in forum General Support
Replies: 14
Last Post: 08-08-2003, 07:21 PM
-
By Chris Ruhl in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 3
Last Post: 03-01-2003, 02:57 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA III Internal SSD CT1000MX500SSD1
$99.99

Dell Latitude 14" Laptop Computer Intel i5 Up To 32GB RAM 1TB SSD Windows 11 Pro
$316.61

Samsung 2.5" 870 EVO SSD SATA III 250GB 500GB 1TB Internet Solid State Drive Lot
$60.00

Dell Latitude 14" Laptop Computer Intel i7 Up To 32GB RAM 1TB SSD Windows 11 Pro
$349.48

Lenovo Legion 5 Gaming 15.1" WQXGA OLED 165Hz Core i9-14900HX 16GB 1TB RTX 5070
$1469.00

1TB Kingston DataTraveler Max DTMAX/1TB USB Type-C Flash Drive
$86.95

External SSD 1TB 2TB 4TB Portable Hard Drive USB 3.0 Type-C High Speed PC Mac
$19.99

SAMSUNG T7 Portable SSD 1TB Indigo Blue USB 3.2 Gen2 External MU-PC1T0H/AM
$159.99

Dell Precision 7670 i7-12850HX 2.1GHz 32GB 1TB NVMe 16" A1000 Win 11 Pro: Good
$649.00

EDILOCA EN880E 1TB M.2 NVMe PCIe Gen4 Internal SSD for Laptop/PC
$115.00