Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Toshiba Notebook Display too small

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    4

    Toshiba Notebook Display too small

    I ran Koppix from the CD on my Tosibia 650mhz Celaron and the windows are small, and xchat, for example is small and centered in the middle of the screen, I can not make it any bigger...

    any suggestions?

  2. #2
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    27
    Hi, I run into the same thing everytime I run knoppix from cd, to solve this problem you have to get knoppix to use vesa as its video mode. I'm not sure how to do that, search the site. But since I have knoppix installed on my hd, vesa mode takes up the whole screen. It would be nice if 1440x900 video res. was supported as my monitor is 17inch wide screen on a toshiba laptop.

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    872
    talking about vesa, I learnt a nice little trick from spblinux's author. One can use mplayer to query what vesa mode is supported by the display chip by :

    mplayer -v some_video_file > log

    the log would contain all the available one for the vga= parameter. Though it is listed in hex and somehow 512(decimal) is needed to be added to the value to come out the proper vga= value.

    So one can always boot with vga=normal and fine out what vesa modes is there then later fix that in the boot configure in LILO/GRUB for future use, should vesa is needed.

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    4
    Ah ok..
    Though I still do not know how to run Versa.

    What command do I need to run at the "boot" command to get it to get it to work?

  5. #5
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts
    2,479
    Quote Originally Posted by Kamakize
    Ah ok..
    Though I still do not know how to run Versa.

    What command do I need to run at the "boot" command to get it to get it to work?
    Try using the frame buffer when you boot with fb1024x768 at the prompt.

  6. #6
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    4
    How the heck do I do this?

    SOmeone giove me what I should do at boot.

    Thanks!

  7. #7
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    27
    Press f2 at boot prompt and look at the knoppix cheats on top

  8. #8
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    4
    Still No luck. I have tried to do screen= , i tired expert, tried dont detect monitor.. still disaplays just in the center of the screen...

  9. #9
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    555
    try "knoppix xserver=XFree86 xmodule=fbdev fb1024x768"

  10. #10
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts
    2,479
    Quote Originally Posted by baldyeti
    try "knoppix xserver=XFree86 xmodule=fbdev fb1024x768"
    The knoppix at the start is not needed the fb1024x768 is a kernel image just like the knoppix the correct line would be:
    Code:
    fb1024x768 cheat_code cheat_code .....

Similar Threads

  1. Knoppix on an old Notebook
    By pschuett in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-25-2005, 04:07 PM
  2. Notebook and Beamer
    By the_viper in forum Laptops
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-06-2005, 07:56 PM
  3. Old Notebook Display Problems
    By merlin232 in forum Laptops
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 09-24-2004, 04:51 PM
  4. Replies: 14
    Last Post: 08-08-2003, 07:21 PM
  5. Display Problems with Gateway Notebook
    By Chris Ruhl in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 03-01-2003, 02:57 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5

Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA III Internal SSD CT1000MX500SSD1

$102.99



Samsung 2.5

Samsung 2.5" 870 EVO SSD SATA III 250GB 500GB 1TB Internet Solid State Drive Lot

$90.00



Samsung 860 EVO 250GB SSD MZ-76E250 2.5

Samsung 860 EVO 250GB SSD MZ-76E250 2.5" SATA III Solid State Drive

$39.99



Micron MTFDDAK256TBN 256 GB, Internal ,2.5

Micron MTFDDAK256TBN 256 GB, Internal ,2.5" SSD

$23.00



Netac 2TB 1TB 512GB 256GB Internal SSD 2.5inch SATAIII Solid State Drive lot picture

Netac 2TB 1TB 512GB 256GB Internal SSD 2.5inch SATAIII Solid State Drive lot

$549.00



2 PACK 128 GB SSD M.2 2280 SATA Solid State Drive Major Brands, Samsung, LiteON picture

2 PACK 128 GB SSD M.2 2280 SATA Solid State Drive Major Brands, Samsung, LiteON

$28.80



Fanxiang 1/2/5/10Pcs 2.5'' SATA SSD Lot 1TB 2TB 4TB 512GB 256GB TLC Internal SSD picture

Fanxiang 1/2/5/10Pcs 2.5'' SATA SSD Lot 1TB 2TB 4TB 512GB 256GB TLC Internal SSD

$129.99



Samsung 256 GB Internal SATA SSD Fully Tested 50%-79% Health picture

Samsung 256 GB Internal SATA SSD Fully Tested 50%-79% Health

$24.00



SSD 2.5

SSD 2.5" SATA Hard Drive for Laptop Desktop Windows 10 pro 64 Pro Pre-installed

$42.00



SanDisk Ultra 3D SSD 1TB, SDSSDH3 2.5

SanDisk Ultra 3D SSD 1TB, SDSSDH3 2.5" SSD Drive SATA III 6GB/S (SDSSDH3-1T02)

$138.56