-
Member
registered user
Java development
Hi all.
Can I develop and compile Java in Knoppix 3.3? Ideally I'd like to develop .java files from Kate and use some kind of compiler to create applets.
Thanks.
-
Yes. Over the weekend I introduced my brother to programming using the latest Knoppix ISO on my parent's computer. I was pleasantly suprised to find Sun's JRE v1.4.2 and the latest GCJ javac. We whipped up a quick AWT application and ran it without a hitch. We didn't try any applets, but I imagine Mozilla and/or Konqueror will handle them without any tweaking.
Anyway, the thing to note is that the compiler is GCJ's javac and probably uses the GCJ classpath for compilation. This might be a problem if you need functionality that only Sun's SDK provides. In that case you'll need to install Sun's version on the hard disk. GCJ will probably suffice, though.
-
Member
registered user
So I'm assuming I can whip up .java files in Kate then open a shell and type javac myfile.java?
Since it users Sun's JRE I'm assuming it supports Swing as well as AWT?
-
So I'm assuming I can whip up .java files in Kate then open a shell and type javac myfile.java?
Right. I use emacs, but otherwise that is exactly what I did.
Since it users Sun's JRE I'm assuming it supports Swing as well as AWT?
I didn't try doing anything in Swing, but probably. The only catch is that the GCJ classpath may not have a complete-enough version of Swing to compile against. If you can get it to compile, it will definitely run, though. Go ahead and try it.
BTW, you can check the status of GCJ's classpath versus Sun's here:
http://japi.sab39.org/htmlout/h-jdk14-libgcj.html
However, that table shows implementation status as opposed to interface status, so even though the Swing implementation is clearly not done, the interfaces may be complete enough to compile against.
Similar Threads
-
By rangalo in forum General Support
Replies: 8
Last Post: 06-15-2005, 12:32 PM
-
By rcs in forum General Support
Replies: 1
Last Post: 01-16-2005, 05:01 AM
-
By citpeks in forum The Lounge
Replies: 3
Last Post: 07-29-2004, 05:14 PM
-
By AS in forum General Support
Replies: 0
Last Post: 04-01-2004, 07:36 PM
-
By HCSS in forum The Lounge
Replies: 0
Last Post: 03-13-2004, 09:32 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

NEW Cisco Meraki MS130-48P-HW 48-Port Gigabit PoE+ Cloud Manage Switch UNCLAIMED
$2999.99

Cisco WS-C3650-12X48UR-L 48-Port Stackable Layer 3 8x10G SFP+ Port Switch
$129.99

Cisco Acacia DP04QSDD-E25-840 400G QSFP-DD Coherent DCO Transceiver Module
$699.99

Cisco Catalyst C9130AXI-B WiFi 6 802.11ax Wireless Access Point Brand New
$101.99

Cisco Nexus N9K-C92160YC-X 48P 25GbE SFP28 6P QSFP+/QSFP28 PE Switch
$439.00

Cisco | N3K-C3232C | 32-Port 100G QSFP Network Switch W/ 2x PSU, 2x Power Cords
$240.00

Cisco C9300-48UXM-A Switch 9300 Series 48-port UPoE Network
$874.99

Cisco C9200-48P-E Cisco POE Network Switch
$749.99

nxa-pac-750w-pe v02 NEW OPEN BOX for Cisco Nexus 9300 Series power supply
$200.00

Cisco XFP-10G-MM-SR 10G XFP Transceiver
$79.89