If I hd install knoppix as the only OS on the drive (and the PC), do I still need to install a boot loader or boot floppy for the hd to start the installed OS? I do plan on more linux partitions and another drive for swap.
TIA
If I hd install knoppix as the only OS on the drive (and the PC), do I still need to install a boot loader or boot floppy for the hd to start the installed OS? I do plan on more linux partitions and another drive for swap.
TIA
You still need the boot loader, but if you only want it to start linux immediately, you can just adjust the delay time in LILO to zero. That way it should boot linux immediately. Just open the configuration (as root) from konsole:
kwrite /etc/lilo.conf
change "delay=20" to "delay=0"
save changes and exit kwrite.
enter the command "lilo" as root for the changes to take effect.
Either that, or just remove the "prompt" command.
Don't forget to run lilo!
Of course one can create a bootable CD on the Floppy image, and load from that. It is VERY much faster than booting from a floppy, and does not get in the way of any other installations one may have.
I have tried to add the installed Knopper to my Redhat Grub menu, but for some reason I can't figure out, it refuses to work like that. The bootable CD is the best solution I have come up with so far.
Using the MBRTOOL one can set upalternative MBR boots, but restoring them means going back into DOS each time - far more cumbersome than a Boot CD for whatever refuses to work on a Grub menu, IMO.
John
--Here's the script I use to make bootable CDRs; on my system the eltorito.img lives in /mnt/cdtemp/boot:
BEGIN mkbootcdrom
--As a side benefit, it will also copy whatever is in /mnt/cdtemp to the bootable CD, as long as it fits in 700MB.Code:#!/bin/sh # Make a bootable Linux utility cdrom mount /mnt/cdtemp ##mount /mnt/cdtemp/image1.raw /mnt/cdburn2 -t ext2 -o rw ##cd /mnt/cdburn2 cd /mnt/cdtemp /bin/ls -al echo Making bootable CDROM... PK: read #mkisofs -r -f -U -v -o - * \ # -c is an OUTPUT file time \ mkisofs -b boot/eltorito.img -c boot/boot.catalog \ -d -D -f -l -J -N -r -T -v \ -log-file ~/bootcd.errlog \ . \ | cdrecord -v fs=5120k -eject speed=$CDR_SPEED -data - #dev=1,0,0 # mkisofs -b boot/eltorito.img -c boot/boot.catalog \ # -d -D -f -l -J -N -r -T -v . \
Originally Posted by John Richards

OPNsense pfSense 8-Core Atom C3758 2.2GHz 8GB DDR4 64GB SSD 8x NIC QAT AES VPN
$145.00
pfSense Firewall 16-Core Atom C3958 8GB DDR4 RAM 64GB SSD 8x 1Gbe QAT AES-NI VPN
$184.99
OPNsense pfSense 16-Core Atom C3958 16GB ECC RAM 512GB SSD 8-Port QAT AES-NI VPN
$258.00
NETGEAR ProSafe 8-Port Gigabit VPN Firewall FVS318G NEW IN BOX
$69.99
Firewalla Gold Pro - 10 Gbps Cyber Security Firewall
$610.00
Fortinet FortiGate 60F FG-60F P24286-03-13 Network Firewall Security Appliance
$155.75
Palo Alto PA-220 Next-Gen Firewall 520-000309-00J
$40.00
TWO (2) Firewalla Gold Pro Devices - 10 Gbps Cyber Security Firewall
$1111.00
SonicWall TZ280 Firewall 03-SSC-6933 Advanced Edition 3YR NEW SEALED
$999.99
Zero Trace Pen: All-in-one Tor Network Anonymous Drive + Cryptocurrency Wallet
$147.00