-
used gnoppix once - now my monitor is dark !
I used the gnoppix cd once and I liked it. Unfortunately, now the LCD Display of my Laptop doesnīt work anymore. It is so dark, that it took my a while to recognize that itīs showing something at all. This occurs already while booting, so it seems that using the gnoppix cd once changed the hardware settings somehow.
I confess that I`m quite desperated cause Iīm writing on my thesis right now and all the files are on this computer that Iīm not able to use anymore. Can anybody help me ?
Configuration: My Laptop is a Desknote i-Buddie 928; I have SuSE and Windows 2000 installed.
-
External Monitor
Have you tried connecting your laptop to an external monitor?
-
Senior Member
registered user
I presume the screen is dark when you boot any of your OS's. It is possible that when Linux probes your monitor for settings that it gets them wrong. Sending Hsync and Vsync frequencies that are too far out of range for your monitor could definitely cause some permanent damage. Hopefully this is not what has happened and I am not certain that this is what has happend. Perhaps the solution for the moment is as was already suggested- connect another monitor.
-
-> Connecting my Laptop to an external monitor works.
-> You're right, the screen stays dark in all the Os.
I don't think (actually hope !?) that Linux got my settings so wrong, because the monitor worked properly under gnoppix. The problem only occured as I shut gnoppix down and rebooted the system.
-
Senior Member
registered user

Originally Posted by
joerg
-> Connecting my Laptop to an external monitor works.
-> You're right, the screen stays dark in all the Os.
I don't think (actually hope !?) that Linux got my settings so wrong, because the monitor worked properly under gnoppix. The problem only occured as I shut gnoppix down and rebooted the system.
Hmmm... On an LCD monitor or laptop display, the backlight is an entirely separate function from the display. I don't see how Gnoppix could have caused this problem, but it is possible; the backlight on an LCD is under software control (as a "screensaver"), and it's possible that BIOS settings have been munged--but not likely.
In my opinion (as a hardware and monitor technician), you have a coincidental event. I think that the backlight inverter (the circuitry that turns DC into high-frequency AC to drive the fluorescent-tube backlight) died at the same time you rebooted from Gnoppix.
My only suggestion is to look at the power-management settings in your BIOS, and try to set the backlight to always ON and see what happens.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
-- Michael Rudas
Oak Park Computer Club: http://opcc.2ya.com
Metro Detroit Linux Users' Group: http://www.MDLUG.org
PenguiCon 2.0 Open Source & Science Fiction convention, April 2004: http://www.PenguiCon.org[/code]
Similar Threads
-
By aquaxpillx108 in forum Other Live CDs
Replies: 0
Last Post: 01-09-2005, 01:54 AM
-
By eradusfalk in forum Tips and Tricks
Replies: 0
Last Post: 12-22-2004, 09:04 AM
-
By mcovey in forum Networking
Replies: 1
Last Post: 09-07-2004, 01:44 AM
-
By Jonas in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 4
Last Post: 03-26-2004, 02:34 PM
-
By socalgail in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 7
Last Post: 08-25-2003, 01:34 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

TP-Link TL-SG105 5-Port Gigabit Ethernet Unmanaged Metal Desktop Network Switch
$19.99

TP-Link TL-SG1048 48-Port Gigabit Rackmount Switch New Factory Sealed
$199.99

Cisco WS-C3650-12X48UR-L 48-Port Stackable Layer 3 8x10G SFP+ Port Switch
$129.99

NETGEAR GS308EP Essential Series 8-Port Gigabit PoE+ Unmanaged Switch
$49.99

5 Port Gigabit Unmanaged Ethernet Switch, Home Network Hub, Office Ethernet S...
$9.64

TP-Link TL-SG105, 5 Port Gigabit Unmanaged Ethernet Switch, Network Hub, Ethern
$15.25

10-Port Gigabit PoE Network Switch with 8 PoE+ Ports with 2 Combo SFP Slots 125W
$39.99

NETGEAR 5-Port Gigabit Ethernet Unmanaged Switch (Gs305) - Desktop Quiet Fanless
$16.41

D-Link DGS-1210-28P 28-Port PoE Gigabit Web Smart Switch With Cord
$49.99

5Ports Gigabit Network Switch w/ 4 PoE+ Ports Total 52W each port 30W Plug&Play
$31.99