Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: used gnoppix once - now my monitor is dark !

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    2

    used gnoppix once - now my monitor is dark !

    I used the gnoppix cd once and I liked it. Unfortunately, now the LCD Display of my Laptop doesn´t work anymore. It is so dark, that it took my a while to recognize that it´s showing something at all. This occurs already while booting, so it seems that using the gnoppix cd once changed the hardware settings somehow.
    I confess that I`m quite desperated cause I´m writing on my thesis right now and all the files are on this computer that I´m not able to use anymore. Can anybody help me ?
    Configuration: My Laptop is a Desknote i-Buddie 928; I have SuSE and Windows 2000 installed.

  2. #2
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    1

    External Monitor

    Have you tried connecting your laptop to an external monitor?

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    colorado springs, colorado
    Posts
    1,933
    I presume the screen is dark when you boot any of your OS's. It is possible that when Linux probes your monitor for settings that it gets them wrong. Sending Hsync and Vsync frequencies that are too far out of range for your monitor could definitely cause some permanent damage. Hopefully this is not what has happened and I am not certain that this is what has happend. Perhaps the solution for the moment is as was already suggested- connect another monitor.

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    2
    -> Connecting my Laptop to an external monitor works.

    -> You're right, the screen stays dark in all the Os.
    I don't think (actually hope !?) that Linux got my settings so wrong, because the monitor worked properly under gnoppix. The problem only occured as I shut gnoppix down and rebooted the system.

  5. #5
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Royal Oak, Michigan USA
    Posts
    199
    Quote Originally Posted by joerg
    -> Connecting my Laptop to an external monitor works.
    -> You're right, the screen stays dark in all the Os.
    I don't think (actually hope !?) that Linux got my settings so wrong, because the monitor worked properly under gnoppix. The problem only occured as I shut gnoppix down and rebooted the system.
    Hmmm... On an LCD monitor or laptop display, the backlight is an entirely separate function from the display. I don't see how Gnoppix could have caused this problem, but it is possible; the backlight on an LCD is under software control (as a "screensaver"), and it's possible that BIOS settings have been munged--but not likely.

    In my opinion (as a hardware and monitor technician), you have a coincidental event. I think that the backlight inverter (the circuitry that turns DC into high-frequency AC to drive the fluorescent-tube backlight) died at the same time you rebooted from Gnoppix.

    My only suggestion is to look at the power-management settings in your BIOS, and try to set the backlight to always ON and see what happens.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    -- Michael Rudas
    Oak Park Computer Club: http://opcc.2ya.com
    Metro Detroit Linux Users' Group: http://www.MDLUG.org
    PenguiCon 2.0 Open Source & Science Fiction convention, April 2004: http://www.PenguiCon.org[/code]

Similar Threads

  1. Any here of Gnoppix?
    By aquaxpillx108 in forum Other Live CDs
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-09-2005, 01:54 AM
  2. prints in gimp too dark with deskjet 895C? Solution!!
    By eradusfalk in forum Tips and Tricks
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 12-22-2004, 09:04 AM
  3. networking in Gnoppix
    By mcovey in forum Networking
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-07-2004, 01:44 AM
  4. [Help]Gnoppix hd install
    By Jonas in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 03-26-2004, 02:34 PM
  5. dual boot from the dark side
    By socalgail in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 08-25-2003, 01:34 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


🔀 Juniper Networks EX2300-C-12P 12× Gigabit PoE+ • 2× 10G SFP+ Compact Switch ⚡ picture

🔀 Juniper Networks EX2300-C-12P 12× Gigabit PoE+ • 2× 10G SFP+ Compact Switch ⚡

$109.99



Juniper EX2300 12-Port Gigabit PoE+ Managed Network Switch P/N: EX2300-C-12P picture

Juniper EX2300 12-Port Gigabit PoE+ Managed Network Switch P/N: EX2300-C-12P

$149.99



Juniper QFX5100-48S-3AFI 48-Port SFP+ 6 QSFP+ 2x SFP/RJ-45 Management picture

Juniper QFX5100-48S-3AFI 48-Port SFP+ 6 QSFP+ 2x SFP/RJ-45 Management

$249.97



Juniper Networks EX2300-48P 48-Port Gigabit PoE Managed Ethernet Switch picture

Juniper Networks EX2300-48P 48-Port Gigabit PoE Managed Ethernet Switch

$79.99



Juniper QFX5120-48Y-AFO 48 x 1/10/25GB SFP28 + 8 x 40/100GB Switch w/Dual AC picture

Juniper QFX5120-48Y-AFO 48 x 1/10/25GB SFP28 + 8 x 40/100GB Switch w/Dual AC

$10499.99



Juniper MX204 +JUNOS and Dual Power Supply picture

Juniper MX204 +JUNOS and Dual Power Supply

$7299.99



Juniper EX2300-C 12 Port Compact Gigabit Switch EX2300-C-12p picture

Juniper EX2300-C 12 Port Compact Gigabit Switch EX2300-C-12p

$89.99



Juniper EX2300-C-12P 12 Port Gigabit PoE+ 2x10G SFP+ Managed Compact  Switch picture

Juniper EX2300-C-12P 12 Port Gigabit PoE+ 2x10G SFP+ Managed Compact Switch

$179.99



Juniper Networks EX2300-48P 48-Port PoE Gigabit Switch (Renewed) picture

Juniper Networks EX2300-48P 48-Port PoE Gigabit Switch (Renewed)

$361.91



Juniper Networks Mist Wireless Access Points, Model AP45 picture

Juniper Networks Mist Wireless Access Points, Model AP45

$59.99