Have you tried connecting your laptop to an external monitor?
I used the gnoppix cd once and I liked it. Unfortunately, now the LCD Display of my Laptop doesnīt work anymore. It is so dark, that it took my a while to recognize that itīs showing something at all. This occurs already while booting, so it seems that using the gnoppix cd once changed the hardware settings somehow.
I confess that I`m quite desperated cause Iīm writing on my thesis right now and all the files are on this computer that Iīm not able to use anymore. Can anybody help me ?
Configuration: My Laptop is a Desknote i-Buddie 928; I have SuSE and Windows 2000 installed.
Have you tried connecting your laptop to an external monitor?
I presume the screen is dark when you boot any of your OS's. It is possible that when Linux probes your monitor for settings that it gets them wrong. Sending Hsync and Vsync frequencies that are too far out of range for your monitor could definitely cause some permanent damage. Hopefully this is not what has happened and I am not certain that this is what has happend. Perhaps the solution for the moment is as was already suggested- connect another monitor.
-> Connecting my Laptop to an external monitor works.
-> You're right, the screen stays dark in all the Os.
I don't think (actually hope !?) that Linux got my settings so wrong, because the monitor worked properly under gnoppix. The problem only occured as I shut gnoppix down and rebooted the system.
Hmmm... On an LCD monitor or laptop display, the backlight is an entirely separate function from the display. I don't see how Gnoppix could have caused this problem, but it is possible; the backlight on an LCD is under software control (as a "screensaver"), and it's possible that BIOS settings have been munged--but not likely.Originally Posted by joerg
In my opinion (as a hardware and monitor technician), you have a coincidental event. I think that the backlight inverter (the circuitry that turns DC into high-frequency AC to drive the fluorescent-tube backlight) died at the same time you rebooted from Gnoppix.
My only suggestion is to look at the power-management settings in your BIOS, and try to set the backlight to always ON and see what happens.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
-- Michael Rudas
Oak Park Computer Club: http://opcc.2ya.com
Metro Detroit Linux Users' Group: http://www.MDLUG.org
PenguiCon 2.0 Open Source & Science Fiction convention, April 2004: http://www.PenguiCon.org[/code]

Dell PowerEdge HBA330 LP PCI-E 12GBs RAID SAS Controller Adapter J7TNV
$18.95
EMC KTN-SL3 15-Bay Disk Array Enclosure w/2x 303-108-000E Cards, Dual PSU,No HDD
$239.99
G-Technology G-SPEED Studio XL 48TB Thunderbolt 2 Storage - Housing Only
$200.00
Areca ARC-1882IX-24 (16i4e)24-Port RAID Controller Card w/BBU /HDD Monitor Board
$300.00
OWC Mercury Elite Pro 2 Bay RAID Enclosure with USB 3.2 for Dual 3.5 inch HDDs
$87.99
Broadcom LSI 9305-16i 12Gbps SAS-3 PCIe x8 HBA 16-Ports Raid Controller
$64.99
MegaRAID 9580-8i8e 16-port 12G SAS/SATA/NVMe 8GB PCIe RAID - 05-50076-00
$1619.26
OWC Express 4M2 USB4 40Gb/s 4-Slot NVMe M.2 SSD RAID Enclosure w/ Cable
$125.00
Broadcom MegaRAID 9480-8e Fujitsu PRAID EP540e SAS RAID Card (Replac 9380-8e) 8i
$228.00
New BroadCom 9500-8i Tri-Mode HBA Card Storage Adapter New-Sealed
$245.57