Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: Network passwords??

  1. #1
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    981

    Network passwords??

    Having problems connecting from winME to Linux (Knoppix). I can connect ok the other way (from Knoppix to browse the winME shares. I can also connect winME to winME. Both systems are dual boot winME & Knoppix.

    I've set up users & passwords so that winME has Linux user account (name=Desktop, password=DesktopPassword) on the Knoppix system (box name=Laptop ie user prompt is 'user@Laptop'). I have also set up Desktop as a smb user with the same password ie 'DesktopPassword' and have set up /home/laptop as a share in smb.conf.

    [LaptopHomeShare]
    path = /home/laptop
    public = yes
    guest ok = yes
    writable = no

    Now the winME system finds the other computer 'Laptop' but prompts
    'Enter password for Laptop/IPC$'
    & none of the passwords work. Neither does the system user password or root password or null (blank). I have also tried setting the smb passwords to null with
    smbpasswd -n Desktop
    in which case the ME system prompts 'You do not have premission to access Laptop' when trying to connect.

    Same thing happens when trying to connect winME to Knoppix-running-from-CD.

    What password is it looking for & how do I set it up?

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    203

    similar problem on win98

    Howdy:

    Can't answer your question but I have similar problem. Maybe same answer to both questions. I start samba and give it password which I had previously set up for knoppix user and root. Then I go to win98 box and look in network neighborhood and there is the knoppix machine in workgroup. When I try to access knoppix shares I get dialog box asking for password. Anything that I enter is the wrong answer. Help!

  3. #3
    I have the same problem, and seeing as though the other posts are from 2003 and it is now *checks watch* 2005 I wounder to myself... Is there no answer?!?!

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Long Island, NY USA
    Posts
    1,510
    If you want to know why samba & Windows network behaves strangely then read http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=16306
    and this http://forums.lugradio.org/viewtopic.php?t=682

Similar Threads

  1. Passwords for Knoppix
    By Darkman348 in forum General Support
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 01-14-2005, 12:29 AM
  2. Setting up new passwords after HD install
    By turbines in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 04-20-2004, 01:23 PM
  3. Questions about passwords and apt-get update
    By Rayen in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-05-2004, 07:49 AM
  4. Passwords...
    By Meddigo Flame in forum General Support
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 02-03-2004, 06:24 PM
  5. need help recovering passwords on 2000 pro nt.
    By computerman0216 in forum Tips and Tricks
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-14-2004, 04:42 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Crucial Micron 8GB (1x8GB) RAM DDR4 3200MHz CT8G4SFRA32A picture

Crucial Micron 8GB (1x8GB) RAM DDR4 3200MHz CT8G4SFRA32A

$29.99



Netac DDR4 32GB 16GB DDR4 3200MHz UDIMM C16 Desktop Internal Memory RAM Kit picture

Netac DDR4 32GB 16GB DDR4 3200MHz UDIMM C16 Desktop Internal Memory RAM Kit

$99.99



Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 3200MHz CL16 CMK32GX4M2E3200C16 picture

Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 3200MHz CL16 CMK32GX4M2E3200C16

$159.99



128GB (2x64GB) NEW Crucial Micron DDR5 5600 Desktop RAM UDIMM (CP2K64G56C46U5) picture

128GB (2x64GB) NEW Crucial Micron DDR5 5600 Desktop RAM UDIMM (CP2K64G56C46U5)

$2085.00



Major Brand 16GB (2x8GB) PC3-12800U DDR3-1600MHz DDR3-12800 DESKTOP RAM NON-ECC picture

Major Brand 16GB (2x8GB) PC3-12800U DDR3-1600MHz DDR3-12800 DESKTOP RAM NON-ECC

$29.99



DDR4 Laptop RAM 4GB 8GB 16GB 32GB 2400 2666 3200 Samsung Hynix picture

DDR4 Laptop RAM 4GB 8GB 16GB 32GB 2400 2666 3200 Samsung Hynix

$30.00



RAMAXEL Lenovo 32GB LPDDR5X CAMM2 7500MHz Laptop RAM | UNTESTED picture

RAMAXEL Lenovo 32GB LPDDR5X CAMM2 7500MHz Laptop RAM | UNTESTED

$445.00



A-Tech 8GB DDR3 1600 PC3-12800 Laptop SODIMM 204-Pin Memory RAM PC3L DDR3L 1x 8G picture

A-Tech 8GB DDR3 1600 PC3-12800 Laptop SODIMM 204-Pin Memory RAM PC3L DDR3L 1x 8G

$21.68



16GB ( 4X 4GB ) MEMORY DDR3 PC3-10600 1333MHz FOR DELL OPTIPLEX 790 780 990 980 picture

16GB ( 4X 4GB ) MEMORY DDR3 PC3-10600 1333MHz FOR DELL OPTIPLEX 790 780 990 980

$39.99



Corsair Vengeance DDR3 8GB 16GB 32GB 1866MHz PC3-14900 Desktop RAM Memory DIMM picture

Corsair Vengeance DDR3 8GB 16GB 32GB 1866MHz PC3-14900 Desktop RAM Memory DIMM

$43.00