Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: Can not load on IBM Server

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Portage, IN, USA
    Posts
    3

    Can not load on IBM Server

    I am trying to run Knoppix on an IBM PC Server 330. The server has dual processors and 4 SCSI harddrives configured as a RAID array using IBM serveRAID. I could not get the CD-ROM to boot the CD (which I think is a SCSI drive) so I created the boot floppy image and that gave me this message:

    SYSLINUX 2.04 (Debian, 2003-06-06) Boot failed

    On the bottom right of the screen it says "CP 7F".

    I thought the boot disk might be bad so I redid the image on another disk and I was able to load Knoppix on another computer fine.

    --
    Any help would be appreciated
    Blaine Hilton

  2. #2
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    27
    I 'm wondering why you couldn't get the cdrom to boot, did you check your boot devices order in your bios.

    I'm not sure why the disk didn't work.

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Portage, IN, USA
    Posts
    3
    I checked the BIOS and it would only allow me to choose between the disk drive and the hard drive. I can not choose the CDROM. There is another BIOS for the serveRAID or some SCSI one and I believe it showed that the CD Drive was on SCSI #7 and I was able to choose a SCSI start up device, which I set to 7 and still no luck.

    Any suggestions?

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    USA, IL
    Posts
    1,041

    Re: Can not load on IBM Server

    1. DON'T use CDRW on SCSI cdroms. Use CDR.

    2. Move the cdrom to device 0 and set the SCSI card to boot off device 0.

    --Try that and see if anything changes.

    Quote Originally Posted by blainehilton
    I am trying to run Knoppix on an IBM PC Server 330. The server has dual processors and 4 SCSI harddrives configured as a RAID array using IBM serveRAID. I could not get the CD-ROM to boot the CD (which I think is a SCSI drive) so I created the boot floppy image and that gave me this message:

    SYSLINUX 2.04 (Debian, 2003-06-06) Boot failed

    On the bottom right of the screen it says "CP 7F".

    I thought the boot disk might be bad so I redid the image on another disk and I was able to load Knoppix on another computer fine.

    --
    Any help would be appreciated
    Blaine Hilton

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Portage, IN, USA
    Posts
    3

    Oh Oh

    I am using a standard CDR.

    So I next tried to change the boot order and SCIS ID#. Went through all 3 BIOSes and nothing let me do it that way so I opened up the case and found that the 4 harddrives are connected to a RAID adapter that plugs into the SCSI connector on the motherboard. The RAID adapter also has an extra connection that the CD-ROM is plugged into. The CD Rom didn't appear to have any jumpers on it so I tried plugging the CD ROM directly to the motherboard SCSI connector, ended up pulling on the wrong area and pulling the conector off of the cable. I will try to fix it and try again. My first experience with SCSI

    Knoppix works good on another IBM computer I have laying around with a standard IDE CD-ROM and no SCSI RAIDs.

    Thanks for the hlep

  6. #6
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Pennsauken, NJ USA
    Posts
    1
    I have been working with an IBM PC Server 330 8640 PBO I just got. I used the procedure on the URL http://www.tek-tips.com/gfaqs.cfm/le...d/513/fid/3049 to move the CDROM from the RAID controller to the external SCSI controller and was able to install RedHat 7.2 from CDROM succsessfully. Good luck.

Similar Threads

  1. knoppix will load, but after system starts, GUI wont load.
    By n()()dle in forum General Support
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 12-23-2004, 01:39 AM
  2. Good Grief!! Can't Load, Won't Load
    By Medicate in forum General Support
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 11-26-2004, 07:08 AM
  3. k3b and cpu load
    By mhelleboid in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-05-2004, 05:09 PM
  4. X server crash: "Fatal server error: Active ring not fl
    By cmcclean in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-03-2003, 01:52 PM
  5. Terminal Server: Suspend to Server for clients
    By Robert Michel in forum Ideas
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-26-2003, 01:21 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Samsung DVI to DVI Cable 6 ft Digital Video Interface Audio Video NEW picture

Samsung DVI to DVI Cable 6 ft Digital Video Interface Audio Video NEW

$30.89



SAMSUNG GALAXY BOOK 6 - 14

SAMSUNG GALAXY BOOK 6 - 14" Intel Ultra 7 355 16GB RAM/512GB Win11 *BARELY USED

$850.00



Samsung Galaxy View Tablet 18.4 SM-T670/677A Digitizer 100% Original Oem picture

Samsung Galaxy View Tablet 18.4 SM-T670/677A Digitizer 100% Original Oem

$152.99



Samsung XE303 C12 Chromebook 11.6 1.7GHz, 2GB Ram, 16GB SSD, working condition picture

Samsung XE303 C12 Chromebook 11.6 1.7GHz, 2GB Ram, 16GB SSD, working condition

$42.00



Kids Case for Samsung Galaxy Tab A9+/A9 plus 11 Inch 2023 Case, with Strap, Shoc picture

Kids Case for Samsung Galaxy Tab A9+/A9 plus 11 Inch 2023 Case, with Strap, Shoc

$27.99



Samsung SCXSTP000, SCX-STP000 (Swingline Staple Cartridge - 3 Refills) picture

Samsung SCXSTP000, SCX-STP000 (Swingline Staple Cartridge - 3 Refills)

$57.99



Samsung JC95-01514A Cover-Side Roller T2 Compatible picture

Samsung JC95-01514A Cover-Side Roller T2 Compatible

$39.00



Samsung JC93-01078A Transfer Roller T2 picture

Samsung JC93-01078A Transfer Roller T2

$89.00



Samsung Galaxy Tab A9+ SM-X218U WIFI + 4G AT&T 64GB picture

Samsung Galaxy Tab A9+ SM-X218U WIFI + 4G AT&T 64GB

$99.99



Samsung Galaxy Tab A7 Lite 32GB Gray Wi‑Fi 8.7in Android Tablet SM-T220 picture

Samsung Galaxy Tab A7 Lite 32GB Gray Wi‑Fi 8.7in Android Tablet SM-T220

$75.00