Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: Can not load on IBM Server

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Portage, IN, USA
    Posts
    3

    Can not load on IBM Server

    I am trying to run Knoppix on an IBM PC Server 330. The server has dual processors and 4 SCSI harddrives configured as a RAID array using IBM serveRAID. I could not get the CD-ROM to boot the CD (which I think is a SCSI drive) so I created the boot floppy image and that gave me this message:

    SYSLINUX 2.04 (Debian, 2003-06-06) Boot failed

    On the bottom right of the screen it says "CP 7F".

    I thought the boot disk might be bad so I redid the image on another disk and I was able to load Knoppix on another computer fine.

    --
    Any help would be appreciated
    Blaine Hilton

  2. #2
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    27
    I 'm wondering why you couldn't get the cdrom to boot, did you check your boot devices order in your bios.

    I'm not sure why the disk didn't work.

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Portage, IN, USA
    Posts
    3
    I checked the BIOS and it would only allow me to choose between the disk drive and the hard drive. I can not choose the CDROM. There is another BIOS for the serveRAID or some SCSI one and I believe it showed that the CD Drive was on SCSI #7 and I was able to choose a SCSI start up device, which I set to 7 and still no luck.

    Any suggestions?

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    USA, IL
    Posts
    1,041

    Re: Can not load on IBM Server

    1. DON'T use CDRW on SCSI cdroms. Use CDR.

    2. Move the cdrom to device 0 and set the SCSI card to boot off device 0.

    --Try that and see if anything changes.

    Quote Originally Posted by blainehilton
    I am trying to run Knoppix on an IBM PC Server 330. The server has dual processors and 4 SCSI harddrives configured as a RAID array using IBM serveRAID. I could not get the CD-ROM to boot the CD (which I think is a SCSI drive) so I created the boot floppy image and that gave me this message:

    SYSLINUX 2.04 (Debian, 2003-06-06) Boot failed

    On the bottom right of the screen it says "CP 7F".

    I thought the boot disk might be bad so I redid the image on another disk and I was able to load Knoppix on another computer fine.

    --
    Any help would be appreciated
    Blaine Hilton

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Portage, IN, USA
    Posts
    3

    Oh Oh

    I am using a standard CDR.

    So I next tried to change the boot order and SCIS ID#. Went through all 3 BIOSes and nothing let me do it that way so I opened up the case and found that the 4 harddrives are connected to a RAID adapter that plugs into the SCSI connector on the motherboard. The RAID adapter also has an extra connection that the CD-ROM is plugged into. The CD Rom didn't appear to have any jumpers on it so I tried plugging the CD ROM directly to the motherboard SCSI connector, ended up pulling on the wrong area and pulling the conector off of the cable. I will try to fix it and try again. My first experience with SCSI

    Knoppix works good on another IBM computer I have laying around with a standard IDE CD-ROM and no SCSI RAIDs.

    Thanks for the hlep

  6. #6
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Pennsauken, NJ USA
    Posts
    1
    I have been working with an IBM PC Server 330 8640 PBO I just got. I used the procedure on the URL http://www.tek-tips.com/gfaqs.cfm/le...d/513/fid/3049 to move the CDROM from the RAID controller to the external SCSI controller and was able to install RedHat 7.2 from CDROM succsessfully. Good luck.

Similar Threads

  1. knoppix will load, but after system starts, GUI wont load.
    By n()()dle in forum General Support
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 12-23-2004, 01:39 AM
  2. Good Grief!! Can't Load, Won't Load
    By Medicate in forum General Support
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 11-26-2004, 07:08 AM
  3. k3b and cpu load
    By mhelleboid in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-05-2004, 05:09 PM
  4. X server crash: "Fatal server error: Active ring not fl
    By cmcclean in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-03-2003, 01:52 PM
  5. Terminal Server: Suspend to Server for clients
    By Robert Michel in forum Ideas
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-26-2003, 01:21 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Ubuntu Server 26.04.1 LTS Bootable USB Flash Drive – Latest September 2026 picture

Ubuntu Server 26.04.1 LTS Bootable USB Flash Drive – Latest September 2026

$12.99



Sun Enterprise e450 400mhz cpu(x4), 4gb ram, 9gb HD w/spud most complete on ebay picture

Sun Enterprise e450 400mhz cpu(x4), 4gb ram, 9gb HD w/spud most complete on ebay

$500.00



OPNsense pfSense 8-Core Atom C3758 2.2GHz 8GB DDR4 64GB SSD 8x NIC QAT AES VPN picture

OPNsense pfSense 8-Core Atom C3758 2.2GHz 8GB DDR4 64GB SSD 8x NIC QAT AES VPN

$115.00



OPNsense Firewall VPN QAT 8-Core Atom C3758 2.20GHz 16GB DDR4 128GB SSD 8xNIC picture

OPNsense Firewall VPN QAT 8-Core Atom C3758 2.20GHz 16GB DDR4 128GB SSD 8xNIC

$175.00



1U Rackmount PC Intel Core i5-2520M 8GB RAM 500GB HDD Ubuntu Linux Server picture

1U Rackmount PC Intel Core i5-2520M 8GB RAM 500GB HDD Ubuntu Linux Server

$109.99



Linux 5.2 The Complete Redhat Operating System Deluxe Secure Server 3 CD Book picture

Linux 5.2 The Complete Redhat Operating System Deluxe Secure Server 3 CD Book

$37.49



Microsoft SQL Server 2019 Enterprise 40 Core Unlimited CAL Retail License FPP picture

Microsoft SQL Server 2019 Enterprise 40 Core Unlimited CAL Retail License FPP

$299.00



All New Ubuntu 26.04 LTS Linux Bootable USB Flash Drive picture

All New Ubuntu 26.04 LTS Linux Bootable USB Flash Drive

$15.95



SQL Server 2022 Enterprise 96 Core License & DVD Unlimited CALs with CoA picture

SQL Server 2022 Enterprise 96 Core License & DVD Unlimited CALs with CoA

$284.99



Red Hat Enterprise Linux 5 Server DVD English OS Media Kit RHF0382US picture

Red Hat Enterprise Linux 5 Server DVD English OS Media Kit RHF0382US

$41.30