-
Can't print to HP Deskjet 3650
I'm having trouble getting my printer, an HP Deskjet 3650, to work with the Knoppix CD.
When I try to add a new printer with the KDE Printing Manager, there is no driver listed for the Deskjet 3650. I tried using the driver for the Deskjet 3420. When I click the "Test" button, I get the message, "Test page successfully sent to printer. Wait until printing is complete, then click the OK button." The printer doesn't do anything.
I've tried all sixteen of the USB device options ("/dev/usb/lp0" up to "/dev/usb/lp15") in the Local Port Selection dialog box. I've also tried the Deskjet 3425 driver and the two options for a generic "Deskjet" driver, with the local port set to "/dev/usb/lp0". The result is always the same.
linuxprinting.org claims that this printer "works Mostly" under linux, and that hpijs is the best driver.
Any suggestions would be much appreciated.
-Rob
Output from lspci -v:
00:00.0 Host bridge: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT8375 [KM266/KL266] Host Bridge
Subsystem: Elitegroup Computer Systems: Unknown device 0a85
Flags: bus master, 66Mhz, medium devsel, latency 8
Memory at e8000000 (32-bit, prefetchable) [size=64M]
Capabilities: <available only to root>
00:01.0 PCI bridge: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT8633 [Apollo Pro266 AGP] (prog-if 00 [Normal decode])
Flags: bus master, 66Mhz, medium devsel, latency 0
Bus: primary=00, secondary=01, subordinate=01, sec-latency=0
Memory behind bridge: ec000000-edffffff
Prefetchable memory behind bridge: e0000000-e7ffffff
Capabilities: <available only to root>
00:0a.0 Communication controller: Conexant HSF 56k HSFi Modem (rev 01)
Subsystem: Mac System Co Ltd: Unknown device 8d8b
Flags: bus master, medium devsel, latency 32, IRQ 18
Memory at ee000000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=64K]
I/O ports at d000 [size=8]
Capabilities: <available only to root>
00:0e.0 Ethernet controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL-8139/8139C/8139C+ (rev 10)
Subsystem: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RT8139
Flags: bus master, medium devsel, latency 32, IRQ 19
I/O ports at d400 [size=256]
Memory at ee010000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=256]
Capabilities: <available only to root>
00:10.0 USB Controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. USB (rev 80) (prog-if 00 [UHCI])
Subsystem: Elitegroup Computer Systems: Unknown device 0a85
Flags: bus master, medium devsel, latency 32, IRQ 16
I/O ports at d800 [size=32]
Capabilities: <available only to root>
00:10.1 USB Controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. USB (rev 80) (prog-if 00 [UHCI])
Subsystem: Elitegroup Computer Systems: Unknown device 0a85
Flags: bus master, medium devsel, latency 32, IRQ 17
I/O ports at dc00 [size=32]
Capabilities: <available only to root>
00:10.2 USB Controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. USB (rev 80) (prog-if 00 [UHCI])
Subsystem: Elitegroup Computer Systems: Unknown device 0a85
Flags: bus master, medium devsel, latency 32, IRQ 18
I/O ports at e000 [size=32]
Capabilities: <available only to root>
00:10.3 USB Controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. USB 2.0 (rev 82) (prog-if 20 [EHCI])
Subsystem: Elitegroup Computer Systems: Unknown device 0a85
Flags: bus master, medium devsel, latency 32, IRQ 19
Memory at ee011000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=256]
Capabilities: <available only to root>
00:11.0 ISA bridge: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT8235 ISA Bridge
Subsystem: Elitegroup Computer Systems: Unknown device 0a85
Flags: bus master, stepping, medium devsel, latency 0
Capabilities: <available only to root>
00:11.1 IDE interface: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT82C586A/B/VT82C686/A/B/VT8233/A/C/VT8235 PIPC Bus Master IDE (rev 06) (prog-if 8a [Master SecP PriP])
Subsystem: Elitegroup Computer Systems: Unknown device 0a85
Flags: bus master, medium devsel, latency 32, IRQ 16
I/O ports at e400 [size=16]
Capabilities: <available only to root>
00:11.5 Multimedia audio controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT8233/A/8235 AC97 Audio Controller (rev 50)
Subsystem: Elitegroup Computer Systems: Unknown device 0a85
Flags: medium devsel, IRQ 18
I/O ports at e800 [size=256]
Capabilities: <available only to root>
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: S3 Inc. VT8375 [ProSavage8 KM266/KL266] (prog-if 00 [VGA])
Subsystem: Elitegroup Computer Systems: Unknown device 0a85
Flags: bus master, 66Mhz, medium devsel, latency 32, IRQ 16
Memory at ed000000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=512K]
Memory at e0000000 (32-bit, prefetchable) [size=128M]
Expansion ROM at <unassigned> [disabled] [size=64K]
Capabilities: <available only to root>
-
Senior Member
registered user
You did read my parallel thread and the advice of aay?! All part of the same problem, I fear.
OG.
-
expand Your /etc/fstab with:
none /proc/bus/usb usbdevfs defaults 0 0
reboot.
Check with usbview if Your printer is part of the usb tree.
-
No, I hadn't seen your parallel thread, oldgeezer. Thanks for pointing it out. The suggestion to try dmesg was particularly helpful. I got the error message "device not accepting address". The FAQ on linux-usb.org suggests that when you get this message, passing the noapic boot prompt to the kernel can solve the problem. Sure enough, when I tried booting with "knoppix noapic", the printer worked.
Thank you both for your advice.
-Rob
Similar Threads
-
By mad bob in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 1
Last Post: 06-11-2005, 03:04 PM
-
By turbine in forum General Support
Replies: 1
Last Post: 06-13-2004, 11:02 PM
-
By heXen in forum General Support
Replies: 0
Last Post: 02-26-2004, 06:08 PM
-
By sandig in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 1
Last Post: 01-19-2004, 05:21 PM
-
By stukennedyuk in forum General Support
Replies: 1
Last Post: 11-12-2003, 08:40 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

NETAPP HCI NAF-1701 SuperMicro Server 4X BLADE H410C 8X GOLD 5120 4 NODE SERVER
$1499.97

Dell PowerEdge M630 Blade Server 2x Xeon E5-2680 v4, 2F3MP , 4GDP5 ,R10KJ ,JVFVR
$95.20

Dell PowerEdge M620 Blade Server 2x Xeon E5-2680v2 256GB DDR3 RAM NO HDD
$349.99

NEW Cisco UCSB-5108-AC2 Blade Server Chassis 8 Slot 6RU Chassis 4 X PSU - DW
$599.40

Supermicro 4U 32x 3.5 Bays 4-Nodes | 8x E5-2660 v3 2.6Ghz | 64gb RAM | 9207-8i
$699.99

Dell Poweredge C6400 24x 2.5’’ 2x 2400W 4x C6420 Nodes H330 | 2x SFP | 8x Trays
$799.99

Dell PowerEdge M640 Blade Barebone Server Dell P/N: HHB006 Tested Working
$149.99

DELL POWEREDGE FC640 Server FHH8V W/×2 Intel Xeon Gold 6142,0KHKN5. *READ⬇*
$130.00

Cisco UCS 5108 Blade Server Chassis Enclosure N20-C6508 4x PSU 8x Fans 2x Fabric
$174.99

Dell Poweredge VRTX 25Bay 2.5" 2x PERC 8, 2xCMC, I/O 1GB Pass Through, 4x PS
$578.08