I want to continue using CD version of Knoppix, but would like to permanently edit dhcpd.conf file and to store it onto HD linux partition.
Is there any way to force system to look into new location?
Thanks in advance.
I want to continue using CD version of Knoppix, but would like to permanently edit dhcpd.conf file and to store it onto HD linux partition.
Is there any way to force system to look into new location?
Thanks in advance.
you did a dhcp server?
i try that but i have problems with the permissions when i try to edit the dhcpd.conf.
how do you did that?
You probably have to switch to root.
Well I am surely not a Linux expert, but what I do is issuing "su" command (without any options) before editing dhcpd.conf, which gives me the root access.
I have stored dhcpd.conf into HD linux partition and called everything with a small script I made and put in the same partition.
The script initialize my network card ("ifconfig" specifying IP, etc) and calls dhcpd3 (thus NOT dhcpd!) command with "-cf" option, which specify the new location of dhcpd.conf file.
Don't forget to unlock write permission on your Linux HD mount. Right mouse click (over the partition) gives you that possibility.
Success.
run as root is not enought to change some files
As far as I know, you can do anything you want as the root.
However, maybe there are some other reasons you can't change some files.
Keep in mind that switching to root is valid only to current terminal window, by doing "su" you can't do things around thinking you are the root. Only if you log in as root gives you the right to do everything everywhere (see link below, how to do that).
Also, some files were set up with r(ead), w(rite), x(ecutable) permissions off for security reasons. Use chmod command if you need to.
Of course, if you are running knoppix from CD only, you can't write anything on it. As soon as you turn PC off, all of you changes are lost.
Search this forum for similar problems you have, I think you can find most answers.
Here are some topics you may be interested in:
http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5447#24936
http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4049#21825
/KNOPPIX/* (ram) problems:
http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5499#25198
etc

Apple Mac Pro 2019 1TB OEM SSD Kit-832GB +128GB - 656-0122/ 656-0121
$69.99
Samsung 2.5" 870 EVO SSD SATA III 250GB 500GB 1TB Internet Solid State Drive Lot
$60.00
Dell Latitude 14" Laptop Computer Intel i5 Up To 32GB RAM 1TB SSD Windows 11 Pro
$545.25
External SSD 1TB 2TB 4TB Portable Hard Drive USB 3.0 Type-C High Speed PC Mac
$19.99
SAMSUNG T7 Portable SSD 1TB Indigo Blue USB 3.2 Gen2 External MU-PC1T0H/AM
$159.99
1TB Kingston DataTraveler Max DTMAX/1TB USB Type-C Flash Drive
$86.95
Acer Predator Helios Neo 16S AI 16" i9 275HX 2S RTX 5070 Ti 32GB 1TB SSD Refurb
$1746.47
Netac 2TB 1TB 500GB Internal SSD M.2 NVMe PCIe3.0 Solid State Drive lot
$139.99
Dell Latitude 14" Laptop Computer Intel i7 Up To 32GB RAM 1TB SSD Windows 11 Pro
$330.73
EDILOCA EN880E 1TB M.2 NVMe PCIe Gen4 Internal SSD for Laptop/PC
$115.00