-
I'll answer my own question...
After some research on this forum I did:
<ctl><alt>1 to switch to vt1
telinit 2 to switch to runlevel 2
X -broadcast to start X and request xdmcp responses from the server
following this the RH login screen appeared and X ran very well with no perceptable loss in performance from running from the console of the RH machine. Much faster than Xmanager on Windows.
Killing the X session was clunky - quitting the session from th RH system put me back to the login screen, to kill the X session I had to <ctl><alt>1 to the vt1 again and use <ctl>c to kill the session. Not very tidy.
Why can't I have an xterminal session running on the Knoppix machine as well as the kde desktop?
Also, I tried from a Knoppix terminal:
telnet myRHserver
login blah blah....
...then in the telnet session
export DISPLAY=ipaddrofknoppixmachine:0.0
xterm
An xterm screen from the RHbox should then appear on my knoppix box.
It does when I use Xmanager or Exceed on a windows machine.
What I get is .....
Xlib: connection to "ipaddrofknoppixmachine:0.0" refused by server
Xlib: no protocol specified
term Xt error: Can't open display: ipaddrofknoppixmachine:0.0
How do I enable an incoming xterminal session? nb this is a CDROM system.
Doug
Similar Threads
-
By lewisp in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 1
Last Post: 03-22-2005, 02:22 PM
-
By dougvega in forum Networking
Replies: 1
Last Post: 02-10-2005, 10:01 PM
-
By Merdock in forum General Support
Replies: 0
Last Post: 12-27-2004, 06:00 AM
-
By dougvega in forum General Support
Replies: 0
Last Post: 12-13-2004, 11:33 PM
-
By mshanmuga in forum General Support
Replies: 1
Last Post: 11-28-2004, 08:41 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Fujinet 1.7.1 Atari 400 800 800XL 130XE 65XE XEGS Assembled, Tested, Working
$99.99

Atari 130 XE/Atari 1050 Bundle W/ Cords And Extras (Powered On)
$300.00

Atari 800 8-bit Computer System Fully Tested Great Condition 48k READ
$350.00

VTG Atari 1200XL Home Computer System 1200 XL ** Tested ** Parts or Repair
$323.75

Atari XE 130XE Computer NTSC with Power Supply Powers On Untested
$159.95

Gotek USB Floppy Emulator v3.44 OLED (no speaker) Amiga Atari IBM Roland AKAI
$44.00

Atari 520ST Vintage Home Computer Keyboard Unit
$199.97

SOLD AS IS Lot of 5.25" Floppy Disks w/ Games & Software? Commodore 64 Atari 800
$59.99

DEFECTIVE Atari 810 Vintage Computer Disk Drive powers on Unit Only Boo G3D
$49.29

ATARI HDD Drive ACSI Emulator 520-1040ST/STF/STFM, STE, Mega STE, TT030 acsi2stm
$48.95