Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: Java development

  1. #1

    Java development

    Hi all.
    Can I develop and compile Java in Knoppix 3.3? Ideally I'd like to develop .java files from Kate and use some kind of compiler to create applets.

    Thanks.

  2. #2
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    US
    Posts
    3
    Yes. Over the weekend I introduced my brother to programming using the latest Knoppix ISO on my parent's computer. I was pleasantly suprised to find Sun's JRE v1.4.2 and the latest GCJ javac. We whipped up a quick AWT application and ran it without a hitch. We didn't try any applets, but I imagine Mozilla and/or Konqueror will handle them without any tweaking.

    Anyway, the thing to note is that the compiler is GCJ's javac and probably uses the GCJ classpath for compilation. This might be a problem if you need functionality that only Sun's SDK provides. In that case you'll need to install Sun's version on the hard disk. GCJ will probably suffice, though.

  3. #3
    So I'm assuming I can whip up .java files in Kate then open a shell and type javac myfile.java?

    Since it users Sun's JRE I'm assuming it supports Swing as well as AWT?

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    US
    Posts
    3
    So I'm assuming I can whip up .java files in Kate then open a shell and type javac myfile.java?
    Right. I use emacs, but otherwise that is exactly what I did.
    Since it users Sun's JRE I'm assuming it supports Swing as well as AWT?
    I didn't try doing anything in Swing, but probably. The only catch is that the GCJ classpath may not have a complete-enough version of Swing to compile against. If you can get it to compile, it will definitely run, though. Go ahead and try it.

    BTW, you can check the status of GCJ's classpath versus Sun's here:

    http://japi.sab39.org/htmlout/h-jdk14-libgcj.html

    However, that table shows implementation status as opposed to interface status, so even though the Swing implementation is clearly not done, the interfaces may be complete enough to compile against.

Similar Threads

  1. About learning game development !
    By rangalo in forum General Support
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 06-15-2005, 12:32 PM
  2. Does even/odd mean stable/development verions ?
    By rcs in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-16-2005, 05:01 AM
  3. C-language and Java development
    By citpeks in forum The Lounge
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 07-29-2004, 05:14 PM
  4. KDevelop / c++ Development
    By AS in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-01-2004, 07:36 PM
  5. Newbie: Using Knoppix for web development
    By HCSS in forum The Lounge
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-13-2004, 09:32 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Dell 6P85J 4TB ST4000NM0063 7.2k 6Gb/s 3.5” SAS SED Hard Drive with Tray picture

Dell 6P85J 4TB ST4000NM0063 7.2k 6Gb/s 3.5” SAS SED Hard Drive with Tray

$39.99



Western Digital HUS726T4TAL5204 4TB 7.2K SAS 12Gb/s 3.5

Western Digital HUS726T4TAL5204 4TB 7.2K SAS 12Gb/s 3.5" 512e HDD NetApp X375A

$64.00



20TB 7200 RPM SATA III Internal 3.5

20TB 7200 RPM SATA III Internal 3.5" White Label Hard drive

$349.99



HGST Ultrastar HUS726040AL5210 4TB 7200RPM SAS 12Gb/s Enterprise HDD picture

HGST Ultrastar HUS726040AL5210 4TB 7200RPM SAS 12Gb/s Enterprise HDD

$41.00



Western Digital WD Red 4TB NAS Hard Drive WD40EFRX SATA 64MB 3.5

Western Digital WD Red 4TB NAS Hard Drive WD40EFRX SATA 64MB 3.5" HDD

$70.00



Dell ST6000NM0034 1HT27Z-150 NWCCG 6TB SAS 3.5 7.2K ENTERPRISE SERVER DRIVE picture

Dell ST6000NM0034 1HT27Z-150 NWCCG 6TB SAS 3.5 7.2K ENTERPRISE SERVER DRIVE

$68.99



Lot of 2 HP 4TB / 128MB SATA 7.2K RPM 3.5

Lot of 2 HP 4TB / 128MB SATA 7.2K RPM 3.5" Hard Drive MB4000GCWDC /ST4000NM0033

$125.00



Seagate Exos ST2000NX0253 HDD 2TB SATA 7.2K 2.5

Seagate Exos ST2000NX0253 HDD 2TB SATA 7.2K 2.5" 512b/s

$58.00



Toshiba DT01ACA100 1 TB 3.5

Toshiba DT01ACA100 1 TB 3.5" SATA III 3.5 in Desktop Hard Drive

$24.99



DELL 2TB Enterprise HDD (7200RPM, 3.5

DELL 2TB Enterprise HDD (7200RPM, 3.5", SATA III, 128MB Cache) HUS722T2TALA600

$49.95