Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Why cann't I boot from CD?

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    5

    Why cann't I boot from CD?

    I had downloaded the iso file, and then I put it into the virtual CD, thus I can get all the files of the iso file, then I burned all the virtual CD to a CD ,but I cann't boot from it?

    Is the right way of burning CD is to burn the iso file to CD directly withouting unzipping it?

  2. #2
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    32
    You have to change your BIOS setting so that bootingfrom Cdrom is possible.

  3. #3
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    32
    Look in the instruction of your PC how you enter the BIOS and how you make the changes.

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts
    2,479

    Re: Why cann't I boot from CD?

    Quote Originally Posted by windinrain
    I had downloaded the iso file, and then I put it into the virtual CD, thus I can get all the files of the iso file, then I burned all the virtual CD to a CD ,but I cann't boot from it?

    Is the right way of burning CD is to burn the iso file to CD directly withouting unzipping it?
    In addition to the suggestions above you have to use the option in your burning program (whatever it may be called) to create a bootable CD from an ISO image.

  5. #5
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    32
    You have to make a ISO-image.
    (There is no unzipping)

  6. #6
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    12
    IF you have correctly made the iso, and find NO boot from cd, you will have to make a boot floppy. My machine I am on now will NOT boot from floppy.. the bios has no option.

  7. #7
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    5
    Quote Originally Posted by rudiz
    You have to change your BIOS setting so that bootingfrom Cdrom is possible.
    I have done that, so I think the problem is in the procedure of burnding the CD. The iso_image could be unzipped with the software ' winrar' , after unzipping, there will be several files and folders.

    In the CD I have burnned, the files and folders are as follow:
    Demos KNOPPIX Talks autorun.bat autorun.inf cdrom.ico index.html

    When I put the CD in windows, the file index.html will auto run,.
    In folder KNOPPIX there has the file boot.img and many other files

    I have redownloaded a new ISO-image, and I will burned the CD second time, may this time I'll be successful.

    Think all of you!

  8. #8
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    5
    Now I have successful booted from CD, and now I am very happy on linux.

    But now I have some questions 1: Can I setup some software ? if i do, where should i put it? Now I don't have the "home' directory and don't have the super user ID and special user ID, how can I do that?

    2: there have three partitions of the hard disk of my windows system, in linux, I can enter every partition and can see all the messages in it from GNU, but from terminal , when I do as follow:
    cd /mnt/hda5
    ls
    there is nothing !!!
    cd /mnt/hda6
    ls
    I can see all the files and folders

    I don't think there is any difference between the two partitions, why don't i see the files of hda5 from terminal? but i can do that from GNU?

  9. #9
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    4
    Knoppix is largely read-only by default. This means that settings, home directory contents and any installed applicatiosn will get lost at reboot. To persist your settings you need to use the "save settings" option to save them to a read/write volume (floppy, Flash stick, FAT[32] volume etc.). To persist your home directory you need to create, er, a persistent home directory. There are KDE menu options for both of these. To install applications you may need to convert your Knoppix installation into a regular Debian installation. The FAQs and docs contain lots of tips on all of these tasks. Read those first and then post back if you still have queries. Hope this helps.

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 11-29-2004, 02:29 AM
  2. cann't start kde as user
    By jackren in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 03-05-2004, 10:49 PM
  3. cann't read cloop device error
    By arashb in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09-14-2003, 10:29 AM
  4. i cann't access my fat32 and ntfs partitions from knoppix
    By Pex_boa in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 04-10-2003, 08:20 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


SK Hynix 64B PC4-2933Y Server Memory DDR4 RAM HMAA8GR7MJR4N-WM picture

SK Hynix 64B PC4-2933Y Server Memory DDR4 RAM HMAA8GR7MJR4N-WM

$499.99



Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram  2x 550W PSU No HDD picture

Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD

$275.00



VMware vCenter Server 8 STANDARD Perpetual License Key VC-STD-C (Legacy Pack) picture

VMware vCenter Server 8 STANDARD Perpetual License Key VC-STD-C (Legacy Pack)

$1599.95



Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Core | HBA330 | No RAM or HDD picture

Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Core | HBA330 | No RAM or HDD

$169.99



SK Hynix Server Memory 32GB (1x32GB) RAM DDR4 2400MHz HMA84GR7MFR4N Lot of 12 picture

SK Hynix Server Memory 32GB (1x32GB) RAM DDR4 2400MHz HMA84GR7MFR4N Lot of 12

$1599.99



Dell Poweredge R730xd 12LFF 2*2660v4 4*1Gbe h730 2x 750W Server CTO picture

Dell Poweredge R730xd 12LFF 2*2660v4 4*1Gbe h730 2x 750W Server CTO

$308.00



Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W picture

Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W

$409.99



Dell EMC PowerEdge R740 8 Bay Server w/ 32GB RAM 2x GOLD 6132 2x 1600W PSU H730p picture

Dell EMC PowerEdge R740 8 Bay Server w/ 32GB RAM 2x GOLD 6132 2x 1600W PSU H730p

$499.88



MICROSOFT WINDOWS SERVER 2025 RDS 50 CAL NEW Factory Sealed picture

MICROSOFT WINDOWS SERVER 2025 RDS 50 CAL NEW Factory Sealed

$136.87



Microsoft Windows Server 2025 Standard 64bit 32 Core-50 CALs DVD With Key Sealed picture

Microsoft Windows Server 2025 Standard 64bit 32 Core-50 CALs DVD With Key Sealed

$95.99