Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: Graphical system state

  1. #1

    Graphical system state

    I am regulary comparing knoppix with windows XP. There is one thing that I found more user friendly in Windows that in Knoppix : System resource management.

    In windows, you have nice manager that display graph of memory and cpu use. There is nothing as graphical in Knoppix, at least that I know about. The best tool for the job seem to be top. But it's a lot less graphical, and it cannot be include in the task bar. Anybody know anything better that is or could be include in Knoppix.

    Also, when I have a low memory condition. I just have some application kill. I have the reflex to cat come file in /proc/ and add some swap space. But windows have a nice system running low in memory dialog. Do you think we could have something similar in Knoppix?

  2. #2
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    California
    Posts
    18
    I use XFCE version 4 as my window manager (http://www.xfce.org) and you can add all sorts of graphical resource information to the task bar.

    It does take a little work to get version 4 installed and running from kdm. The other thing I've seen but haven't had the inclination to follow up on is

    GKrellm

    http://web.wt.net/~billw/gkrellm/gkrellm.html

    Which looks really cool. But I've only used it on Damnsmalllinux.

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    colorado springs, colorado
    Posts
    1,933

    Re: Graphical system state

    Quote Originally Posted by guillaumecote
    I am regulary comparing knoppix with windows XP. There is one thing that I found more user friendly in Windows that in Knoppix : System resource management.

    In windows, you have nice manager that display graph of memory and cpu use. There is nothing as graphical in Knoppix, at least that I know about. The best tool for the job seem to be top. But it's a lot less graphical, and it cannot be include in the task bar. Anybody know anything better that is or could be include in Knoppix.
    I don't have a KDE desktop ATM but there is a monitor for cpu & ram that sits in the system tray. Personally I just put top up on one of my many desktops (oh yeah win has only 1 desktop) and leave it there if I need to monitor system resources.

    Also, when I have a low memory condition. I just have some application kill. I have the reflex to cat come file in /proc/ and add some swap space. But windows have a nice system running low in memory dialog. Do you think we could have something similar in Knoppix?
    Hmmm- I have a machine w/ only 256M RAM and I have yet to experience and out of memory condition. Of course I'm not trying to edit video or anything like that. Why not just make yourself a swap partition to accomodate for the lack of RAM? You'll always have plenty of RAM that way.

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Irvine, Ca, USA
    Posts
    4
    Quote Originally Posted by bsaunders
    I use XFCE version 4 as my window manager (http://www.xfce.org) and you can add all sorts of graphical resource information to the task bar.

    It does take a little work to get version 4 installed and running from kdm. The other thing I've seen but haven't had the inclination to follow up on is

    GKrellm

    http://web.wt.net/~billw/gkrellm/gkrellm.html

    Which looks really cool. But I've only used it on Damnsmalllinux.
    Yes, gkrellm is my favorite. I used to use
    xLoad & xOsview, etc. but now I prefer all the stuff availabel with it.

  5. #5

    Re: Graphical system state

    Quote Originally Posted by rickenbacherus
    Also, when I have a low memory condition. I just have some application kill. I have the reflex to cat come file in /proc/ and add some swap space. But windows have a nice system running low in memory dialog. Do you think we could have something similar in Knoppix?
    Hmmm- I have a machine w/ only 256M RAM and I have yet to experience and out of memory condition. Of course I'm not trying to edit video or anything like that. Why not just make yourself a swap partition to accomodate for the lack of RAM? You'll always have plenty of RAM that way.
    Of course, I made myself a swap partition, but to figure out that I have to made one, I had to look in /proc/. I think it could be a good improvement to knoppix if computer newbe are tool that their is computer is low on memory and they need to add swap by a popup like on windows.

Similar Threads

  1. no graphical login..
    By koma in forum General Support
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 03-15-2004, 08:04 AM
  2. cant get into graphical
    By mystical_kakarot in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 02-10-2004, 01:50 PM
  3. graphical frontend to ppp
    By todsr1 in forum Networking
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-08-2004, 02:05 PM
  4. KDE is in a frozen state
    By ramu_i in forum General Support
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 07-21-2003, 01:43 AM
  5. solid state problem
    By monkeyman in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-08-2003, 07:39 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Yealink T48S VoIP/SIP Phone, 2 x Gigabit Ports PoE 7

Yealink T48S VoIP/SIP Phone, 2 x Gigabit Ports PoE 7" Color SIP-T48S | TESTED

$34.95



Poly CCX 400 Desktop Business Media Phone VoIP 2200-49700-019 picture

Poly CCX 400 Desktop Business Media Phone VoIP 2200-49700-019

$49.99



Grandstream WP810 Portable Cordless Wi-Fi IP Phone picture

Grandstream WP810 Portable Cordless Wi-Fi IP Phone

$49.28



Grandstream VoIP Phone Adapter ATA 1-Line Black Ethernet (RJ-45) Micro USB picture

Grandstream VoIP Phone Adapter ATA 1-Line Black Ethernet (RJ-45) Micro USB

$27.07



Yealink SIP-T33G IP Phone 4-LineSpeakerphone VoIP Desk Phone Black w/ Power Sply picture

Yealink SIP-T33G IP Phone 4-LineSpeakerphone VoIP Desk Phone Black w/ Power Sply

$25.00



Cisco CP-8851-3PW-NA-K9 IP Phone MPP Multiplatform VoIP  4 New Open Box picture

Cisco CP-8851-3PW-NA-K9 IP Phone MPP Multiplatform VoIP 4 New Open Box

$74.99



Cisco / Linksys SPA2102 VoIP 2FXS Phone Adapter with Router (unlocked) picture

Cisco / Linksys SPA2102 VoIP 2FXS Phone Adapter with Router (unlocked)

$18.99



Grandstream HT701 1-Port FXS Analog Telephone Adapter ATA VoIP Gateway -Free S/H picture

Grandstream HT701 1-Port FXS Analog Telephone Adapter ATA VoIP Gateway -Free S/H

$18.95



Cisco CP-8841 IP Phone Charcoal Handset And Stand Included picture

Cisco CP-8841 IP Phone Charcoal Handset And Stand Included

$27.99



YEALINK T34W PHONE & 2 MONTHS OF PHONE SERVICE picture

YEALINK T34W PHONE & 2 MONTHS OF PHONE SERVICE

$65.00