-
newbie kernel comiling questions
I've reently been muching around with the new 2.6 test kernels with sucess for the most part, but there are some questions I do have pertaining to compiling and installing new kernels.
#1 If my video card is listed in the Framebuffer mode, do I as well need to include support for generic VGA?
#2 modules vs. direct kernel support. this is the biggie for me. I notice when I did the knoppix HD install it loads most of my hardware via modules. When I recompile the 2.6 kernels I try to stay away from modules and just check things I know my machine has. Is this a good or a bad practice? What are the advantages/disadvantages of modules vs hardcoded support? The only snafu I have run into with compiling built in support has been with my old school Micrsoft Intellimouse. The default knoppix install loads it as a module and the wheel button works fine, however when compiling it directly into the kernel the mouse works fine except for the wheel button (even after tinkering with Xfree86 config). I'm guessing that the module may be more configurable but as I've said I haven't had much experience with modules.
And on the subject of modules and compiling them.... does make-kpkg take into account modules configured for the kernel, or does one as well have to do a make modules for debian installs as well?
I used this site as a guide for helping me install and compile the kernel
http://www.osnews.com/story.php?news_id=2949&page=1
but it says little about modules.
any help would be appreciated
Similar Threads
-
By EricCartman in forum General Support
Replies: 3
Last Post: 06-08-2005, 07:47 PM
-
By cabobrett in forum General Support
Replies: 3
Last Post: 11-30-2004, 03:20 AM
-
By Hermes02 in forum General Support
Replies: 2
Last Post: 04-14-2004, 02:50 PM
-
By pez_king in forum General Support
Replies: 1
Last Post: 11-01-2003, 05:38 PM
-
By Xeogears13 in forum General Support
Replies: 5
Last Post: 10-29-2003, 05:57 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

RAM-HOL-SAM60CPU RAM USB-C Powered Dock for Samsung Tab Active5 - 3 - 2
$81.99

Lot of 5 Samsung PM9B1 256GB M.2 2280 PCIe Gen4 x4 NVMe SSD MZVL4256HBJD SSD
$200.00

Samsung 2.5" 870 EVO SSD SATA III 250GB 500GB 1TB Internet Solid State Drive Lot
$60.00

Samsung 16GB DDR4 SO-DIMM 260-Pin PC4-2666 / 8gb ddr4 so-dimm 3200 - 24gb total
$75.00

RAM-GDS-SKIN-SAM54-NG-1 RAM Mounts IntelliSkin® Next Gen for Samsung Tab Active4
$93.99

RAM-HOL-SAM52CPU RAM USB-C Powered Dock Samsung Tab Active4 Pro & Tab Active Pro
$81.99

Cell Phone Smartphone Computer repair banner poster sign iphone Samsung
$89.99

RAM-GDS-DOCK-SAM88CPU RAM GDS® Tough-Dock™ for Samsung Tab A9+
$174.99

NEW Samsung NoteBook NT930QCG touch LCD Full Screen Assembly Blue
$225.77

Samsung One Connect Docking Station SOC8002B Black w/ Cable & Power Cord
$400.00