Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: newbie kernel comiling questions

  1. #1
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    41

    newbie kernel comiling questions

    I've reently been muching around with the new 2.6 test kernels with sucess for the most part, but there are some questions I do have pertaining to compiling and installing new kernels.

    #1 If my video card is listed in the Framebuffer mode, do I as well need to include support for generic VGA?

    #2 modules vs. direct kernel support. this is the biggie for me. I notice when I did the knoppix HD install it loads most of my hardware via modules. When I recompile the 2.6 kernels I try to stay away from modules and just check things I know my machine has. Is this a good or a bad practice? What are the advantages/disadvantages of modules vs hardcoded support? The only snafu I have run into with compiling built in support has been with my old school Micrsoft Intellimouse. The default knoppix install loads it as a module and the wheel button works fine, however when compiling it directly into the kernel the mouse works fine except for the wheel button (even after tinkering with Xfree86 config). I'm guessing that the module may be more configurable but as I've said I haven't had much experience with modules.

    And on the subject of modules and compiling them.... does make-kpkg take into account modules configured for the kernel, or does one as well have to do a make modules for debian installs as well?

    I used this site as a guide for helping me install and compile the kernel

    http://www.osnews.com/story.php?news_id=2949&page=1

    but it says little about modules.

    any help would be appreciated

  2. #2
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    9
    I've always heard that good practice is to compile as many things as you can as modules unless your sure you need to build it into the kernel. Realize that everything built into the kernel increases it's size and memory use. If there's some piece of hardware you very rarely use why not support it with a module rather than build it in the kernel?

  3. #3
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    41

    module building

    with building modules then, I know how to add module support into the kernel whel configuring it, that's the easy part (a dot as opposed to a check mark).

    My question now is after selecting all these modules will a make kpkg for the kernel include and "install" these modules, or is there some sort of make modules procedure I need to follow?

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts
    2,479

    Re: module building

    Quote Originally Posted by Hayabusa
    with building modules then, I know how to add module support into the kernel whel configuring it, that's the easy part (a dot as opposed to a check mark).

    My question now is after selecting all these modules will a make kpkg for the kernel include and "install" these modules, or is there some sort of make modules procedure I need to follow?
    Any of the modules that you are selecting in the make [menuconfig xconfig] screens will be made when you compile the kernel with make-kpkg you would only have to add the modules_image to the compile line when you have unpacked additional source code for something like alsa or lm-sensors to the /usr/src/modules directory tree. Then it would make the additional .deb(s) for you to install along with the kernel_image and if you build (and you should) kernel_headers .deb files.

Similar Threads

  1. Newbie with questions
    By EricCartman in forum General Support
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 06-08-2005, 07:47 PM
  2. Newbie with questions!
    By cabobrett in forum General Support
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 11-30-2004, 03:20 AM
  3. 2 Newbie Questions
    By Hermes02 in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 04-14-2004, 02:50 PM
  4. newbie questions
    By pez_king in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 11-01-2003, 05:38 PM
  5. newbie: 3 questions
    By Xeogears13 in forum General Support
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 10-29-2003, 05:57 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Kingston 32GB 64GB 128GB 256GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Thumb Memory Stick Pen lot picture

Kingston 32GB 64GB 128GB 256GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Thumb Memory Stick Pen lot

$285.90



TF/SD Card Adapter Camera Reader Android Type-c For iPhone17 Pro Max Plusm lot picture

TF/SD Card Adapter Camera Reader Android Type-c For iPhone17 Pro Max Plusm lot

$573.98



MICRON MTA36ASF4G72PZ-2G6D1 32GB PC4-21300R DDR4-2666V RDIMM 2RX4 MEMORY DIMM picture

MICRON MTA36ASF4G72PZ-2G6D1 32GB PC4-21300R DDR4-2666V RDIMM 2RX4 MEMORY DIMM

$139.99



Lot of 18 Mixed Brands PC4 32GB 2400T-R Server RAM picture

Lot of 18 Mixed Brands PC4 32GB 2400T-R Server RAM

$2879.99



SK Hynix 32GB PC4-2400T DDR4-2400 ECC RDIMM Server RAM HMA84GR7AFR4N-UH Tested picture

SK Hynix 32GB PC4-2400T DDR4-2400 ECC RDIMM Server RAM HMA84GR7AFR4N-UH Tested

$235.00



Samsung 32GB DDR4-2666V-2Rx4-RB2-12 RAM  M393A4K40CB2-CTD6Q picture

Samsung 32GB DDR4-2666V-2Rx4-RB2-12 RAM M393A4K40CB2-CTD6Q

$169.00



USB 3.0 Micro SD SDHC TF Card Reader Memory Adapter for PC Laptop Camera lot picture

USB 3.0 Micro SD SDHC TF Card Reader Memory Adapter for PC Laptop Camera lot

$3.75



USB 3.0 Flash Drive 32GB 64GB 128GB Memory Stick Thumb Stick Lot Pack picture

USB 3.0 Flash Drive 32GB 64GB 128GB Memory Stick Thumb Stick Lot Pack

$369.59



1/ 10/ 100pcs USB 2.0 2GB, 4GB ,8GB ,16GB ,32GB ,64GB 128GB USB Flash Drives Lot picture

1/ 10/ 100pcs USB 2.0 2GB, 4GB ,8GB ,16GB ,32GB ,64GB 128GB USB Flash Drives Lot

$202.50



Microsoft Office 2021 Pro Plus USB for 1PC Windows 10 & 11 picture

Microsoft Office 2021 Pro Plus USB for 1PC Windows 10 & 11

$62.55