Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: Knoppix 3.3 will not shutdown from KDE menu

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Posts
    27

    Knoppix 3.3 will not shutdown from KDE menu

    Hi,

    I am a little new both to Linux and Knoppix, so if there is a simple answer...

    I have installed Knoppix 3.3 on my HD and it runs really nicely. However, from KDE, if I try to return to finish the session, shutdown the machine (a Sony Vaio) or reboot, the screen just goes blank and nothing more happens (the computer is not turned off). Eventually I have to switch it off and then the next time I switch it on I get an error about the file system not being powered down correctly.

    For now, to prevent errors I have found that I can press CTRL-ALT F1, and then log in as root and shutdown manually from there.

    Any suggestions as to how to solve this problem.

    Thanks,

    Tim

  2. #2
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    1
    I can confirm the same problem. My laptop will not shutdown from KDE, I have to run "shutdown now -h" manualy.

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    amsterdam
    Posts
    1
    yep, same here.
    the odd thing is that it works fine if im just using the cdrom.

  4. #4
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Posts
    11
    I also have the same problem. I don't have this problem with SuSE 9.0, which is what I use everyday. I only use knoppix for emergencies.

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Posts
    27

    Bug confirmation

    Well now that I can see that others have the same problem it makes me thjnk that it is more of a "bug" in Knoppix 3.3 and not some local installation problem. Just like the other person here, I have had both Suse 9.0 and Fedora 1.0 installed in this laptop and they shutdown just fine.

    I have searched the bug list again (I did it before posting the first message) to see if it had been reported and could find nothing. Hence, I will wait until the end of the week, just incase some it is known to the "Knoppix community", and a fix is available, and if not, I will submit it as a bug so that hopefully it can be fixed for Knoppix 3.4.

    Thanks everyone.

    Tim

  6. #6
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Ottawa, Canada
    Posts
    25
    I think it is a bug with KDM.

    Mine won't shut down either, but I installed GDM in its place, and now mine shuts down fine.

  7. #7
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    17
    3.4 also does not shut down properly. How does one replace KDM with GDM?

Similar Threads

  1. Knoppix hangs on Eht0 when shutdown or reboot?
    By ThE_R_o_B in forum General Support
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 04-22-2005, 04:20 AM
  2. touchpad+sound+shutdown not working in knoppix 3.8.1
    By paulo_andre in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-19-2005, 12:46 PM
  3. Knoppix v3.3 Auto-Shutdown
    By djinn in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-02-2004, 03:01 PM
  4. K-menu 'KNOPPIX'
    By jex in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 06-05-2003, 07:34 PM
  5. Problems with x - Boot-shutdown... Boot-shutdown...Boot-shut
    By _CaLeB_ in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 03-31-2003, 06:20 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Windows XP, Vista, 8.1, Linux Knoppix, Office XP,  (6 CDS) picture

Windows XP, Vista, 8.1, Linux Knoppix, Office XP, (6 CDS)

$10.00



KNOPPIX 9.1 Linux Install & Live DVD 32bit & 64bit picture

KNOPPIX 9.1 Linux Install & Live DVD 32bit & 64bit

$19.99



Knoppix Live GNU Linux System 9.1 on Bootable CD / DVD / USB Flash Drive picture

Knoppix Live GNU Linux System 9.1 on Bootable CD / DVD / USB Flash Drive

$5.99



KNOPPIX USB DVD OS , BEST OF ALL HIGHLY RECOMENDED picture

KNOPPIX USB DVD OS , BEST OF ALL HIGHLY RECOMENDED

$11.99



Knoppix Linux Bootable OS v8.6

Knoppix Linux Bootable OS v8.6 "Original Live Operating System" 16G USB Stick

$20.85



VINTAGE SOFTWARE | KNOPPIX STD 0.1 (SECURITY TOOLS DISTRIBUTION) picture

VINTAGE SOFTWARE | KNOPPIX STD 0.1 (SECURITY TOOLS DISTRIBUTION)

$7.57



Knoppix NSM 1.2 picture

Knoppix NSM 1.2

$8.00



Knoppix Linux Bootable OS v8.6

Knoppix Linux Bootable OS v8.6 "Original Live Operating System" 32G USB Stick

$21.42



Hamshack Live DVD-ROM picture

Hamshack Live DVD-ROM

$7.00



Knoppix 5.0.1 ULTRA RARE Linux DVD - Linux Pro Extra August 2006 picture

Knoppix 5.0.1 ULTRA RARE Linux DVD - Linux Pro Extra August 2006

$33.75