-
Wanted desperately: ACPI !!!
Having seen the long list of laptops running Linux with all but ACPI working properly, I cannot help wondering why an ACPI enabled kernel is still not there in Knoppix
I am aware of all these sites with ACPI howto, but they are not clear enough to me (because I have been using Linux for 2 weeks only!), I cannot risk recompiling with patches as suggested in these documentations. Can't someone actualy come up with a hot patch to enable ACPI, and post it in the web so that we all enjoy it? Or am I asking for too much...
Does anyone know if developers of Knoppix are actually working on a means to enable ACPI?
-
-
Senior Member
registered user
Re: Wanted desperately: ACPI !!!

Originally Posted by
fcc
Having seen the long list of laptops running Linux with all but ACPI working properly, I cannot help wondering why an ACPI enabled kernel is still not there in Knoppix

I am aware of all these sites with ACPI howto, but they are not clear enough to me (because I have been using Linux for 2 weeks only!), I cannot risk recompiling with patches as suggested in these documentations. Can't someone actualy come up with a hot patch to enable ACPI, and post it in the web so that we all enjoy it? Or am I asking for too much...
Does anyone know if developers of Knoppix are actually working on a means to enable ACPI?
I think the main reason for leaving ACPI off is that you can't have both ACPI and APM
at the same time, and ACPI support in linux is still not quite finished (altough most things
already work) whereas APM is stable.
If you want a simple solution don't mind doing a looong download from a slow server you
might want to read this:
http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6154
-
Senior Member
registered user
I was reading an article by Doc Searls of the Linux Journal where he was recounting some of Linus' comments on the recent Linux Lunacy cruise. On of Linus' comments that I found pretty humorous is when the discussion of ACPI came up. He said, "Modern PCs are horrible. ACPI is a complete design disaster in every way. But we're kind of stuck with it. If any Intel people are listening to this and you had anything to do with ACPI, shoot yourself now, before you reproduce." That should give you an idea as to why ACPI is such a pain in Linux. The 2.6 kernel is supposed to have improvements, but I'm wondering if things will be much improved even there.
-
Senior Member
registered user
Acpi is co-developed by Intel,Micro$oft, and Toshiba.
One of them (not Intel) has a history of never producing anything useful so I'm not
sure that it's all Intel's fault.
-
Thanks a lot for pointing out that site, and thanks to Kano who has taken time to put that site up! I followed the instructions, and I got my ACPI on my Dell Inspiron 8600. Unfortunately I went offline immediately, because the patch destroyed the object file for my ethernet driver. Still, I swithched to WinXP and downloaded the driver from Broadcom's site and installed it, and I was back online, and this time with ACPI!!! Very cool!!!
So I strongly suggest people with a laptop: Brake the MS slavery and partition your disk, to put Debian Linux in the new partition, with very little pain, using Knoppix version 3.3, and immediately apply the patch in Kano's page for ACPI. You will love your laptop more!!!
Thanks again and best wishes,
FCC

Originally Posted by
apoplex
http://kano.mipooh.net/
mfg apoplex
Similar Threads
-
By OP4Latino in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 0
Last Post: 05-27-2005, 06:27 AM
-
By Longfield in forum Laptops
Replies: 0
Last Post: 05-12-2005, 11:54 AM
-
By xaviers2002 in forum General Support
Replies: 2
Last Post: 07-13-2004, 09:23 PM
-
By completenewbie in forum The Lounge
Replies: 1
Last Post: 06-01-2003, 06:06 PM
-
By senorian in forum The Lounge
Replies: 6
Last Post: 01-22-2003, 04:05 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

🔀 Juniper Networks EX2300-C-12P 12× Gigabit PoE+ • 2× 10G SFP+ Compact Switch ⚡
$109.99

Juniper EX2300 12-Port Gigabit PoE+ Managed Network Switch P/N: EX2300-C-12P
$149.99

Juniper Networks EX3400-24T 24-Port Ethernet Switch w/Power Cord
$174.99

Juniper EX3400-24P 24-Port PoE+ GbE + 4-Port 1/10Gb SFP Switch
$245.00

Juniper EX2300-C 12 Port Compact Gigabit Switch EX2300-C-12p Discounted Cosmetic
$79.86

Juniper Networks AP33-US Indoor Wifi6 (US Version) 5GHz: 4x4:4; 2.99
$24.99

Juniper MX204 +JUNOS and Dual Power Supply
$7299.99

Juniper EX2300 48-Port Managed L4 Ethernet Switch, 10GbE/GbE, Modular 1U
$758.09

Juniper Networks EX2300-48P 48-Port Gigabit PoE Managed Ethernet Switch
$79.99

Juniper Networks AP33 Wireless Access Point Bluetooth WiFi 6 Cloud Managed NIB
$54.99