-
Moving directories to their own partitions
Greetings everyone,
After reading the Debian install and security howtos, I've decided that I should move /var, /usr and /tmp to their own partitions, using the Knoppix home directory howto as a guide. Thing is, I don't know how my fstab should look like and how big the partitions should be.
I would like to ask for input for the layout I plan (below).
Partition sizes:
/tmp – 50 mb (or 500?)
/var – 3 gb (or 2?)
/usr – 4 gb
/ – 500 mb
Am I on the right track? Are these partition sizes okay or are they excessive? This computer is the one I'll be using for home. In the future I do plan on setting it up to host web pages as well.
fstab additions:
/dev/hda9 /usr ext2 rw 0 2
/dev/hda6 /tmp ext2 rw 0 2
/dev/hda7 /var ext2 rw 0 2
Do these entries look okay? Or should it be:
/dev/hda9 /usr ext2 defaults 1 2
/dev/hda6 /tmp ext2 defaults 1 2
/dev/hda7 /var ext2 defaults 1 2
I don't know what the numbers at the end mean... I just took these from various sample I found in LQ and Google.
Any thoughts?
- Bryan
Similar Threads
-
By Ezor in forum General Support
Replies: 2
Last Post: 01-04-2005, 07:26 PM
-
By davidc in forum Customising & Remastering
Replies: 0
Last Post: 04-15-2004, 08:15 PM
-
By Alexxx in forum General Support
Replies: 0
Last Post: 03-03-2004, 11:37 AM
-
By mikji in forum General Support
Replies: 2
Last Post: 10-24-2003, 09:52 PM
-
By numbski in forum General Support
Replies: 4
Last Post: 04-04-2003, 08:40 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

OEM Genuine 42Wh WDX0R For DELL Inspiron WDXOR Battery 15 5567 5568 13 5368 7368
$22.99

OEM 68Wh 3HWPP Battery For Dell Latitude 5401 5501 5410 5510 E5411 E5511
$28.99

Lot of 10OEM Dell Latitude 5420 5520 63WH Battery RJ40G M033W - Excellent
$175.00

New Genuine OEM Dell Latitude 5420 5520 3560 4 Cell Laptop Battery RJ40G M033W
$49.95

OEM Genuine 86WH 69KF2 Battery For Dell XPS 15 9500 Precision 5550 M59JH M15 M17
$45.49

OEM 68Wh 3HWPP Battery For Dell Latitude 5401 5411 15 5501 5511 Precision 3541
$35.78

Lot of 5 Dell OEM 65W 7.4mm 19.5V 3.34A AC Adapters Mixed Models B Grade
$36.99

OEM 74WH 357F9 Battery For Dell Inspiron 15 7559 i7559 7557 i7557 5577 7567 5576
$26.99

New Dell OEM Inspiron 15 3511 15.6" Battery 11.25V 41Wh 3467mAh G91J0 MGCM5
$44.95

OEM Genuine 62WH 6MT4T Battery For Dell Latitude E5470 E5570 6MT4T 07V69Y 7V69Y
$36.66