-
Senior Member
registered user
Re: Moving directories to their own partitions
/tmp is really tiny on both my systems, 50MB should be fine. Everything else looks Ok, however I would go with journalled filesystems for *everything* except /boot. This is what my fstab entries look like:
Code:
/dev/hdb1 / reiserfs defaults,noatime,rw 0 1
/dev/hde11 /mnt/squid reiserfs defaults,noatime,noexec 0 0
/dev/hda2 /mnt/extra2 ext3 defaults,noatime,noexec,rw 0 0
/dev/hda12 /mnt/bkps reiserfs defaults,noatime,notail,rw 0 0
--The two numeric entries at the end are for dump and fsck, see ' man fstab '.
--I'd recommend two things with all that hard drive space: Dedicate a partition (20Gig?) for backups, and consider setting up a Squid proxy server. 
http://www.squid-cache.org/
--If you want more info on that, I'll be happy to send you a copy of my config and some basic instructions.

Originally Posted by
bxb32001
Greetings everyone,
After reading the Debian install and security howtos, I've decided that I should move /var, /usr and /tmp to their own partitions, using the Knoppix home directory howto as a guide. Thing is, I don't know how my fstab should look like and how big the partitions should be.
I would like to ask for input for the layout I plan (below).
Partition sizes:
/tmp – 50 mb (or 500?)
/var – 3 gb (or 2?)
/usr – 4 gb
/ – 500 mb
Am I on the right track? Are these partition sizes okay or are they excessive? This computer is the one I'll be using for home. In the future I do plan on setting it up to host web pages as well.
fstab additions:
/dev/hda9 /usr ext2 rw 0 2
/dev/hda6 /tmp ext2 rw 0 2
/dev/hda7 /var ext2 rw 0 2
Do these entries look okay? Or should it be:
/dev/hda9 /usr ext2 defaults 1 2
/dev/hda6 /tmp ext2 defaults 1 2
/dev/hda7 /var ext2 defaults 1 2
I don't know what the numbers at the end mean... I just took these from various sample I found in LQ and Google.
Any thoughts?
- Bryan
Similar Threads
-
By Ezor in forum General Support
Replies: 2
Last Post: 01-04-2005, 07:26 PM
-
By davidc in forum Customising & Remastering
Replies: 0
Last Post: 04-15-2004, 08:15 PM
-
By Alexxx in forum General Support
Replies: 0
Last Post: 03-03-2004, 11:37 AM
-
By mikji in forum General Support
Replies: 2
Last Post: 10-24-2003, 09:52 PM
-
By numbski in forum General Support
Replies: 4
Last Post: 04-04-2003, 08:40 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Kingston 32GB 64GB 128GB 256GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Thumb Memory Stick Pen lot
$285.90

2021 Full Version Office Professional Plus for 1 PC Flash USB Drive
$59.99

2024 Full Version Office Professional Plus for 1 PC Flash USB Drive
$89.99

1/ 10/ 100pcs USB 2.0 2GB, 4GB ,8GB ,16GB ,32GB ,64GB 128GB USB Flash Drives Lot
$269.10

USB 3.0 Flash Drive 32GB 64GB 128GB Memory Stick Thumb Stick Lot Pack
$826.09

USB Type-A Flash Drive Metal Memory Stick High Speed USB Drive 128GB 256GB 512GB
$8.47

LOT 10x SanDisk 32GB ULTRA USB 3.0 flash drive SDCZ48-032G 32 GB read 100 MB/s
$39.80

Microsoft Windows 11 Pro 64bit - New Sealed – Flash USB 1 PC
$49.99

128GB USB 14-in-1 MacOS bootable Installer repair recovery tech support service
$39.99

Windows 11 Pro Install/Recovery/Repair USB Flash Drive
$35.00