Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: minor flaws, but disappointing

  1. #1

    minor flaws, but disappointing

    hi all,
    my knoppix hd-install sports some minor flaws which I find nevertheless disappointing:

    1) I already have some OS's installed and am using my "traditional" boot manager (chos BTW)
    for knoppix also. I set the kernel parameter vga=extended to all linux flavours I'm booting (one suse, one redhat, one mandrake BTW, all for various testing purposes)
    for knoppix this works fine at the beginning, but immediately after the message about "configuring the network devices etc", the vga mode suddenly falls back to "normal". I did find one single (!) posting somewhere (after extensive googling) on that topic, but it wasn't solved there...

    2) when giving a "halt" command (or triggering system halt in kdm) my machine goes into reboot after the last message ("flushing ide devices" or something the like) appeared.
    works fine for all other linux-flavours I'm running.

    3) in kde, I added an "external taskbar" (similar to the top-of-screen-taskbar in kde1) to the top of the screen (panel context manu->add->extensions->external taskbar) which works fine at first - but it is lost on every new login. a "KasBar" or "child panel" with a kde2-style taskbar (2 lines), on the other hand, works just fine... but I'm quite used to a "one line taskbar" which I find more usable.

    any ideas? none of these is critical, the rest of the system works fine.
    thanks in advance & greetings 2 all

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Washington State
    Posts
    120
    1. Try vga=791

    2. Never had thet happen. Go to google.com/linux and search it out

    3. Try typing "rm ~/.kde/Autostart/*"(without the qoutes) in a terminal to get rid of those dreaded scripts.

  3. #3
    ad 1) you misunderstood... I *do* use vga=791 (on all my linux installations, where it works!), it *does* work from the point the kernel takes over control from the bootloader, but then it switches *back* to vga=normal (785 I think) after configuring the network devs... so where does the kernel loose the information or get another setting respectively?

    ad 2) yeah, me neither

    ad 3) well, unfortunately I already checked that out before, the Autostart folder was (and still is) empty...

    thanks anyway!

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    USA, IL
    Posts
    1,041
    --What I did, as root:
    2003.0328 - Had to fix /etc/init.d/console-screen.sh again, keeps resetting font to 80x25.

    --If this is your problem, edit the above file and comment out the following lines:

    Code:
    # xxx removed 2003.0328
        # Global default font+sfm
    #    if [ "${SCREEN_FONT}" ] 
    #    then
    #       echo -n "Setting up general console font..."
    #       SCREEN_FONT="-f ${SCREEN_FONT}"
    
    #       # maybe use an external SFM
    #       [ "${SCREEN_FONT_MAP}" ] && SCREEN_FONT_MAP="-u ${SCREEN_FONT_MAP}"
    #
    #       ${SETFONT} ${SETFONT_OPT} ${SCREEN_FONT} ${SCREEN_FONT_MAP} && echo don
    #    fi
    --If anyone else has a more elegant solution I'd be glad to hear it.

    Quote Originally Posted by wolfgang_a_h
    ad 1) you misunderstood... I *do* use vga=791 (on all my linux installations, where it works!), it *does* work from the point the kernel takes over control from the bootloader, but then it switches *back* to vga=normal (785 I think) after configuring the network devs... so where does the kernel loose the information or get another setting respectively?

    ad 2) yeah, me neither

    ad 3) well, unfortunately I already checked that out before, the Autostart folder was (and still is) empty...

    thanks anyway!

Similar Threads

  1. a number of minor issues from a n00b
    By xSauronx in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 06-16-2004, 12:20 PM
  2. Minor problems with HDD install
    By ndrake in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 09-29-2003, 02:26 AM
  3. Minor patch to compressloop utilities
    By Entropy42 in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-13-2003, 06:38 AM
  4. hd install with 2 minor problems
    By rattler in forum General Support
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 01-22-2003, 03:28 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Dell Poweredge R730xd 12LFF 2*2660v4 4*1Gbe h730 2x 750W Server CTO picture

Dell Poweredge R730xd 12LFF 2*2660v4 4*1Gbe h730 2x 750W Server CTO

$308.00



Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram  2x 550W PSU No HDD picture

Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD

$275.00



Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Core | HBA330 | No RAM or HDD picture

Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Core | HBA330 | No RAM or HDD

$169.99



RDS CAL - Remote Desktop Services Windows Server 2019 50 User/Device Connections picture

RDS CAL - Remote Desktop Services Windows Server 2019 50 User/Device Connections

$63.00



Gigabyte 4U AI Server 10x Nvidia GPU 2x Xeon Gold 6150 36 Core 2.7GHz DDR4 RAM picture

Gigabyte 4U AI Server 10x Nvidia GPU 2x Xeon Gold 6150 36 Core 2.7GHz DDR4 RAM

$1625.00



Dell EMC PowerEdge R740 8 Bay Server w/ 32GB RAM 2x GOLD 6132 2x 1600W PSU H730p picture

Dell EMC PowerEdge R740 8 Bay Server w/ 32GB RAM 2x GOLD 6132 2x 1600W PSU H730p

$499.88



Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W picture

Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W

$409.99



Supermicro 1027GR-TSF 1U Rackmount Server 2x Xeon 2.3GHz 128GB DDR3 picture

Supermicro 1027GR-TSF 1U Rackmount Server 2x Xeon 2.3GHz 128GB DDR3

$219.99



867959-B21 HPE ProLiant DL360 G10 CTO Server W/ 2x 865414-B21 1x 840140-001 picture

867959-B21 HPE ProLiant DL360 G10 CTO Server W/ 2x 865414-B21 1x 840140-001

$225.00



Dell Intel X710-DA2 5N7Y5 Dual-Port 10GbE SFP+ PCIe 3.0 x8 Network Adapter picture

Dell Intel X710-DA2 5N7Y5 Dual-Port 10GbE SFP+ PCIe 3.0 x8 Network Adapter

$27.50