Umm, why would you want to use telnet in the first place ?
ssh is safer and it is handy also in places where you don't need security.
Hi Gurus,
I just installed Knoppix 3.3 on my HDD. It works incredibly well, but I have a problem with the security level. I do use Knoppix to connect on other unix servers (Sun, HP, ...) and develop on those machines. The trouble is that a telnet works ok but I can't run any graphical interface because of DISPLAY not reachable. However, I have defined and exported the DISPLAY as found in 'ifconfig'. I have also enabled external display through 'xhost +'. Finally, I've found in /etc/hosts.allow and /etc/hosts.deny that the config was set up as 'PARANOID'. I've renamed both files (according to the man page, lack of file opens the connection). As long as I do not run a server but a workstation, security is not a major constraint for me. I'm missing a config file somewhere to enable DISPLAY to pass through but where. While testing, I realized that even assigning the IP address to the user knoppix (rather than the hos name) causes the same problem.
Could anyone help on this ?
TIA,
Pierre
Umm, why would you want to use telnet in the first place ?
ssh is safer and it is handy also in places where you don't need security.
Good question I didn't ask myself, but I assume it would make no difference in the current situation: graphical apps can't open the display and do abort. You could test it youself:Originally Posted by windos_no_thanks
1) 'ifconfig' to determine your IP address
2) export DISPLAY=IP address:0.0 (192.168.1.10:0.0 for example)
3) 'xclock' returns Error: Can't open display: ...
Any idea?
TIA,
Pierre
You are looking for the setting nolisten tcp in the file /etc/kde3/kdm/Xservers if you are doing this in KDE.Originally Posted by pierrevn
[edit]
You would have to restart kdm for the changes to take effect with /etc/init.d/kdm restart as root this best done from a console login unless you want to lose any unsaved work when KDE re-starts.
[/edit]
Thanks to you, Stephen: I removed this 'nolisten tcp' from the file and it works now as I expect. Great!
Cheers,
Pierre
I see you already got it working but using ssh should have made a difference. Using the -X switch (by default on in knoppix so you usually don't need to specify it) ssh forwards theOriginally Posted by pierrevn
X connections through the encrypted pipe. The application on the remote machine thinks
it is using a display on the same machine, your X-server also thinks the application is on the
same machine as itself and everyone is happy.

RAM-HOL-SAM52CPU RAM USB-C Powered Dock Samsung Tab Active4 Pro & Tab Active Pro
$81.99
Samsung 2.5" 870 EVO SSD SATA III 250GB 500GB 1TB Internet Solid State Drive Lot
$60.00
Samsung 870 EVO 4TB 2.5" SATA III Internal SSD (MZ-77E4T0B/AM)
$310.00
New Samsung 512GB FIT Plus USB 3.2 Gen 1 Type-A Flash Drive MUF-512AB/AM NEW
$120.00
RAM-HOL-SAM60CPU RAM USB-C Powered Dock for Samsung Tab Active5 - 3 - 2
$81.99
Samsung PM961 512GB PCIe Gen 3x4 NVMe 2280 M.2 SSD MZVLW512HMJP-000D1
$60.00
RAM-GDS-SKIN-SAM54-NG-1 RAM Mounts IntelliSkin® Next Gen for Samsung Tab Active4
$93.99
Samsung 8GB DDR5 5600MHz SODIMM Laptop RAM PC5-44800 CL46 M425R1GB4BB0-CWM
$99.99
Samsung 990 Pro Solid State Drive 1TB PCle 4.0 NVMe M.2 SSD
$204.99
NEW Samsung NoteBook NT930QCG touch LCD Full Screen Assembly Blue
$225.77