-
Security
Hi Gurus,
I just installed Knoppix 3.3 on my HDD. It works incredibly well, but I have a problem with the security level. I do use Knoppix to connect on other unix servers (Sun, HP, ...) and develop on those machines. The trouble is that a telnet works ok but I can't run any graphical interface because of DISPLAY not reachable. However, I have defined and exported the DISPLAY as found in 'ifconfig'. I have also enabled external display through 'xhost +'. Finally, I've found in /etc/hosts.allow and /etc/hosts.deny that the config was set up as 'PARANOID'. I've renamed both files (according to the man page, lack of file opens the connection). As long as I do not run a server but a workstation, security is not a major constraint for me. I'm missing a config file somewhere to enable DISPLAY to pass through but where. While testing, I realized that even assigning the IP address to the user knoppix (rather than the hos name) causes the same problem.
Could anyone help on this ?
TIA,
Pierre
-
Senior Member
registered user
Umm, why would you want to use telnet in the first place ?
ssh is safer and it is handy also in places where you don't need security.
-

Originally Posted by
windos_no_thanks
Umm, why would you want to use telnet in the first place ?
ssh is safer and it is handy also in places where you don't need security.
Good question I didn't ask myself, but I assume it would make no difference in the current situation: graphical apps can't open the display and do abort. You could test it youself:
1) 'ifconfig' to determine your IP address
2) export DISPLAY=IP address:0.0 (192.168.1.10:0.0 for example)
3) 'xclock' returns Error: Can't open display: ...
Any idea?
TIA,
Pierre
-
Senior Member
registered user

Originally Posted by
pierrevn

Originally Posted by
windos_no_thanks
Umm, why would you want to use telnet in the first place ?
ssh is safer and it is handy also in places where you don't need security.
Good question I didn't ask myself, but I assume it would make no difference in the current situation: graphical apps can't open the display and do abort. You could test it youself:
1) 'ifconfig' to determine your IP address
2) export DISPLAY=IP address:0.0 (192.168.1.10:0.0 for example)
3) 'xclock' returns Error: Can't open display: ...
Any idea?
TIA,
Pierre
You are looking for the setting nolisten tcp in the file /etc/kde3/kdm/Xservers if you are doing this in KDE.
[edit]
You would have to restart kdm for the changes to take effect with /etc/init.d/kdm restart as root this best done from a console login unless you want to lose any unsaved work when KDE re-starts.
[/edit]
-
Thanks to you, Stephen: I removed this 'nolisten tcp' from the file and it works now as I expect. Great!
Cheers,
Pierre
-
Senior Member
registered user

Originally Posted by
pierrevn

Originally Posted by
windos_no_thanks
Umm, why would you want to use telnet in the first place ?
ssh is safer and it is handy also in places where you don't need security.
Good question I didn't ask myself, but I assume it would make no difference in the current situation: graphical apps can't open the display and do abort. You could test it youself:
1) 'ifconfig' to determine your IP address
2) export DISPLAY=IP address:0.0 (192.168.1.10:0.0 for example)
3) 'xclock' returns Error: Can't open display: ...
Any idea?
TIA,
Pierre
I see you already got it working but using ssh should have made a difference. Using the -X switch (by default on in knoppix so you usually don't need to specify it) ssh forwards the
X connections through the encrypted pipe. The application on the remote machine thinks
it is using a display on the same machine, your X-server also thinks the application is on the
same machine as itself and everyone is happy.
Similar Threads
-
By eadz in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 11
Last Post: 11-04-2010, 09:02 PM
-
By NetKatz in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 2
Last Post: 05-02-2004, 02:38 PM
-
By RNK in forum Customising & Remastering
Replies: 13
Last Post: 04-29-2004, 12:37 PM
-
By Edix in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 1
Last Post: 11-10-2003, 08:20 PM
-
By kipizit in forum General Support
Replies: 1
Last Post: 11-07-2003, 03:08 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Gigabyte 4U AI Server 10x Nvidia GPU 2x Xeon Gold 6150 36 Core 2.7GHz DDR4 RAM
$1499.00

Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD
$275.00

867959-B21 HPE ProLiant DL360 G10 CTO Server W/ 2x 865414-B21 1x 840140-001
$245.00

Dell PowerEdge R530 2x E5-2630v4 H330 iDRAC8 Port Card Riser No PSU/RAM/HDD
$99.99

Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2690 v3 | 64gb Ram | 2x 1600W
$524.99

Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W
$409.99

Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E6-2699 v3 | 128gb RAM | 2x 1600W
$899.99

Dell Poweredge R730xd 12LFF 2*2660v4 4*1Gbe h730 2x 750W Server CTO
$308.00

Dell PowerEdge FX2s + 8x FC430 Blades 16x E5-2630v4 160 Cores Rails No PSU/RAM
$699.00

Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Core | HBA330 | No RAM or HDD
$149.99