Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: Cannnot copy files...

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    3

    Cannnot copy files...

    Sorry guys, probably the dumbest possible question, but I need to copy some files from my old system before I install Linux on it (Suse). Anyway, I booted from the Knoppix CD and tried to just copy the files to my USB drive. Just to make sure I made 2 partitions on the USB drive, one NTFS and one Ext3, but I can't copy to either of them. I gave user, group and others read and write rights to the drive, unchecked the 'read only' attribute and both partitions indeed show up as 'writable=YES'. However, when I try to drag the file to either of them, I still get a message 'Could not write to /mnt/sda5/outlook.pst'.
    What am I missing here? Any ideas would be more than welcome. Thanks!

    Take care, Albert.

  2. #2
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Austria, Europe
    Posts
    14

    try other settings

    Hi!
    Firstly, I'm not sure if you can write on a NTFS volume at all. My recommendation is making one FAT partition on your USB device.
    Secondly, your USB device should be /dev/sda1, so try using /mnt/sda1 as destination.

    I hope this works

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1

    same problem

    I was able to write to floppy, and to burn a data CD...but I've got the same problem, trying to write to a 128MbUSB flash drive, and it's not NTFS, but FAT file system. I was using /mnt/sda1 as destination but it still doesn't work. I must say I'm a novice with Linux, so is it possible at all?

  4. #4
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441

    Re: same problem

    Quote Originally Posted by harms
    I was able to write to floppy, and to burn a data CD...but I've got the same problem, trying to write to a 128MbUSB flash drive, and it's not NTFS, but FAT file system. I was using /mnt/sda1 as destination but it still doesn't work. I must say I'm a novice with Linux, so is it possible at all?
    Yes, Knoppix can write to a flash USB drive, I've done it. You may have to remount the drive as read/write, I don't remember. I do know Knoppix will mount your hard drive partitions as read only by default and you have to remount them as read/write to write to them as a safety issue, I expect it's the same for your flash drive. And the advice others gave still goes; write to a FAT partition, don't even think about writing to an NTFS partition. Good luck.

  5. #5
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts
    2,479

    Re: try other settings

    Quote Originally Posted by cybersmurf
    Hi!
    Firstly, I'm not sure if you can write on a NTFS volume at all. My recommendation is making one FAT partition on your USB device.
    Secondly, your USB device should be /dev/sda1, so try using /mnt/sda1 as destination.

    I hope this works
    You are assuming that it is only a primary partition on the device if it is an extended partition with a logical drive(s) in the partition then it(they) would start at /dev/sda5.

Similar Threads

  1. copy files from usb drive to hdd?
    By omega in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-30-2005, 07:46 PM
  2. copy files to floppy
    By Beini in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-24-2004, 12:30 PM
  3. Copy files to floppy
    By CasaBlanca in forum General Support
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 07-23-2004, 02:35 PM
  4. i can`t copy files from hd to hd
    By bmarian21 in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12-06-2003, 03:17 AM
  5. Can't copy files to Server
    By Monty99 in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-07-2003, 01:17 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


(New) AMD Ryzen 7 5700X 8 Core 16 Thread AM4 Unlocked 3.4 GHz CPU OEM Tray picture

(New) AMD Ryzen 7 5700X 8 Core 16 Thread AM4 Unlocked 3.4 GHz CPU OEM Tray

$174.99



SGIN 17.3

SGIN 17.3" Laptop Intel Quad-Core Up to 2.4 GHZ 8GB RAM 256GB SSD HD

$229.99



AMD Ryzen 7 PRO 8700GE 8-Core/16-Thread Up to 5.1GHz AM5 (FL1) picture

AMD Ryzen 7 PRO 8700GE 8-Core/16-Thread Up to 5.1GHz AM5 (FL1)

$189.00



Lenovo ThinkStation P520 Intel Xeon W-2245 8-Core 3.90GHz - NO RAM/ GPU/ HDD/ OS picture

Lenovo ThinkStation P520 Intel Xeon W-2245 8-Core 3.90GHz - NO RAM/ GPU/ HDD/ OS

$359.98



Apple Macbook Pro 13

Apple Macbook Pro 13" M1 8-Core 16GB 512GB - Good

$464.99



Intel Xeon E5 - 2667V2  / SR19W   3.30GHz 25MB  8-Core CPU Socket LGA2011 picture

Intel Xeon E5 - 2667V2 / SR19W 3.30GHz 25MB 8-Core CPU Socket LGA2011

$30.00



AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D 4.20GHz Quad Core 100-000000510 8 Thread AM4 picture

AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D 4.20GHz Quad Core 100-000000510 8 Thread AM4

$279.99



AMD Ryzen 7 9700X 8-Core 16-Thread 40MB Cache Socket AM5 9000 Series Processor picture

AMD Ryzen 7 9700X 8-Core 16-Thread 40MB Cache Socket AM5 9000 Series Processor

$245.99



DELL Optiplex 780 SFF CORE2DUO 3.0GHz 8GB RAM 250GB HDDDVDRW NO OS picture

DELL Optiplex 780 SFF CORE2DUO 3.0GHz 8GB RAM 250GB HDDDVDRW NO OS

$99.99



Intel Core i7-6900K SR2PB 8-Core 3.20GHz CPU LGA 2011 (Socket R) picture

Intel Core i7-6900K SR2PB 8-Core 3.20GHz CPU LGA 2011 (Socket R)

$60.00