Hi,
Try modifying your /etc/fstab and add uid & gid on your windows disk.
My windows ntfs line looks like:
/dev/hda1 /mnt/hda1 ntfs noauto,users,exec,ro,uid=myuserlogin,gid=myuserlog in 0 0
I recently installed Knoppix to my hard drive and was wanting to access one of my Windows disks. Everything mounts properly but I cannot read any information from it using my default user (squeegy). I thought I might need to add squeegy to the disk group, but that did not work either. I have tried to chown squeegy:squeegy /mnt/hdb1 but it still remains root:root
I am sure this is something fairly simple, I just can't find anything when I search for it.
Thanks
Michael
Hi,
Try modifying your /etc/fstab and add uid & gid on your windows disk.
My windows ntfs line looks like:
/dev/hda1 /mnt/hda1 ntfs noauto,users,exec,ro,uid=myuserlogin,gid=myuserlog in 0 0
Nope that didn't do anything different. If it makes any difference I also just noticed that prior to mounting /dev/hdb1 under /mnt/hdb1, that /mnt/hdb1 initially has the ability for group read, etc. then it is as soon as I mount the drive only the user can access the file, the group permissions disappear.
Do you mount the drives using the icons on the desktop? Well, if you do it that way, it gets mounted as read only.
If you do it from the terminal though (or the run command box), you'd be fine. You won't see the desktop icons light up though. If you want to browse it through Konqueror, just open up Konqueror and browse to /mnt/hdx.
Or you can type konqueror /mnt/hdx on the terminal.
No I'm not mounting from the desktop I no longer even have those icons. I am only mounting from console. I understand that it will mount readonly. I can't even get permission to read it unless I am root.
Hmmm.... wierd to me as I've never had this problem.
I suggest you post your fstab so our gurus here can have a stab at it.
# /etc/fstab: filesystem table.
#
# filesystem mountpoint type options dump pass
/dev/hda2 / ext3 defaults,errors=remount-ro 0 1
/dev/hda3 none swap sw 0 0
proc /proc proc defaults 0 0
/dev/fd0 /floppy vfat defaults,user,noauto,showexec,umask=022 0 0
/dev/cdrom /cdrom iso9660 defaults,ro,user,noexec,noauto 0 0
/dev/dvd /dvd iso9660 defaults,ro,user,noexec,noauto 0 0
/dev/cdaudio /cdaudio iso9660 defaults,ro,user,noexec,noauto 0 0
# Added by KNOPPIX
/dev/hdc5 /mnt/hdc5 ntfs noauto,users,exec,ro,umask=000 0 0
# Added by KNOPPIX
/dev/hda1 /mnt/hda1 ntfs noauto,users,exec,ro,umask=000 0 0
# Added by KNOPPIX
/dev/hdb1 /mnt/hdb1 ntfs noauto,users,exec,ro,umask=000 0 0
I'm no expert here but how about removing the 'ro' and changing it to 'rw'?
I wouldn't give write rights to ntfs disks, you could screw up the file system if you wrote.
Sorry if obvious, but you did substitute in my earlier post myuserlogin for squeegy?
Try doing as root:
cd /dev
chmod 555 hda1 (same for hdc5 and hdb1)
I am not trying to get write access first of all, so changing it to rw would do nothing. I can't read the drive when I am any other user than root. I tried adding uid=squeegy it still responded the same. Tried cd /dev then chmod 555 hdb1 still nothing.
squeegy@mars:~$ cd /mnt/hdb1
bash: cd: /mnt/hdb1: Permission denied

Dell 6P85J 4TB ST4000NM0063 7.2k 6Gb/s 3.5” SAS SED Hard Drive with Tray
$39.99
Western Digital HUS726T4TAL5204 4TB 7.2K SAS 12Gb/s 3.5" 512e HDD NetApp X375A
$64.00
Seagate BarraCuda 28TB 7.2K SATA 6Gb/s 3.5in Internal HDD ST28000DM000 - Tested
$670.00
Seagate ST12000NM0127 12TB 256MB 7200RPM 3.5" SATA 6.0Gb/s Enterprise Hard Drive
$318.99
Seagate ST4000NM0034 Enterprise 4TB 7200RPM SAS 12Gb/s HDD v4
$39.00
Seagate ST500DM009 BarraCuda 500 GB 3.5" SATA III Desktop Hard Drive
$14.99
HGST HUS724040ALA640 HDD 4TB SATA 6Gb/s 7.5K 3.5" 0F19459 512 b/s
$78.00
Toshiba 14TB MG07 MG07ACA14TEY 7.2K RPM SATA 6Gb/s 512e 3.5" Enterprise HDD
$329.00
Seagate ST8000NM0075 Enterprise Capacity 3.5 HDD 8TB SAS Hard Drive 8TB EXOS
$184.99
DELL 2TB Enterprise HDD (7200RPM, 3.5", SATA III, 128MB Cache) HUS722T2TALA600
$49.95