Results 1 to 2 of 2

Thread: start scripts automatically

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    1

    start scripts automatically

    I'm using knoppix 3.3 from CD as a firwall for a small network. It works great for this. I'd like to be able to automatically mount the USB flash drive (that contains the firewall script) and run the firewall script at boot w/o any user intervention. I can't figure out how to do this and as of now, I'm manually doing these two tasks. Like I said, the firewall works *great* ... I'd just like to be able to run it automatically. Any ideas? I do not want to do a hdd install.

    Thanks!!!

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    106
    I auto run a setup script for my modem this way:
    I put a shortcut in my autostart folder to run a script that activates my modem at startup. Then when I want to get on the internet, I click on a desktop KPPP icon that connects and launches Mozilla. Here's the script:

    #!/bin/bash
    # Save this file as modem.sh in /home/knoppix
    # Set up a persistent home with Knoppix so files will stay put
    # Make a shortcut called Modem on the desktop or in your autostart folder.
    # In the shortcut under Execute put: sudo -s /modem.sh
    # Check Run in terminal and it will do that as root
    # Run this Modem shortcut to dial-up if your modem has not been activated.
    # These lines, will be run as root, and activate the Lucent winmodem:
    cd /home/knoppix/tmp
    mknod /dev/ttyLT0 c 62 64
    chmod a+rw /dev/ttyLT0
    ln -sf /dev/ttyLT0 /dev/modem
    insmod -f lt_modem.o
    insmod -f lt_serial.o
    # This line changes the user to knoppix, starts KPPP, and connects to MyISP.
    # Uncomment the line if you want to use it:
    # su knoppix -c 'kppp -c MyISP'
    # --------------------------
    # Make a desktop shortcut called KPPP. In the shortcut
    # Under Execute put: kppp -c MyISP
    # Where "MyISP" is the name of your dial-up account
    # Run this KPPP shortcut to dial-up if your modem has already been activated.
    # Set KPPP to redial on disconnect if pppd always dies on the first try.
    # In KPPP, under your account, execute, on connect, put: mozilla
    # If you want Mozilla to launch automatically on connect.


    I use a custom autostart folder so that Konqueror doesn't launch every time I start Knoppix:
    Right click on the desktop, click configure desktop, then paths, to make the change. I use: /home/knoppix/autostart. Then move showindex.desktop out and put the modem shortcut in.

Similar Threads

  1. Running commands & shell scripts automatically at boot
    By sunburnt in forum Tips and Tricks
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 05-28-2005, 05:39 PM
  2. Crontab won't start automatically in the startup
    By ghetto_blaster in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-16-2005, 09:09 AM
  3. x-server does not start automatically
    By Mr.45er in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 10-06-2004, 01:21 AM
  4. How to make apache 1.3 automatically start at boot?
    By Zero_1984 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 09-28-2004, 04:57 AM
  5. start sshd automatically
    By paradox87 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 06-16-2004, 11:38 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


GIGABYTE A520M DS3H AC AMD AM4 Motherboard mATX picture

GIGABYTE A520M DS3H AC AMD AM4 Motherboard mATX

$59.99



GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS ELITE AX LGA 1700 Intel Z790 ATX Motherboard with DDR5 picture

GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS ELITE AX LGA 1700 Intel Z790 ATX Motherboard with DDR5

$189.99



Intel H310 LGA1151 8-9th Gen DDR4 M.2 NVMe mATX Motherboard IO Shield Battery picture

Intel H310 LGA1151 8-9th Gen DDR4 M.2 NVMe mATX Motherboard IO Shield Battery

$54.99



ASUS PRIME Z490-V Motherboard Intel Z490 10th gen DDR4 LGA 1200 ATX w/ IO Shield picture

ASUS PRIME Z490-V Motherboard Intel Z490 10th gen DDR4 LGA 1200 ATX w/ IO Shield

$84.99



GIGABYTE B365 HD3 LGA1151 Intel 9th Gen motherboard picture

GIGABYTE B365 HD3 LGA1151 Intel 9th Gen motherboard

$59.99



MSI B550M PRO-VDH Micro-ATX Motherboard - AMD AM4, Ryzen 5000/4000/3000 Ready, P picture

MSI B550M PRO-VDH Micro-ATX Motherboard - AMD AM4, Ryzen 5000/4000/3000 Ready, P

$71.49



ASUS PRIME B360M-C MicroATX Intel LGA1151 DDR4 HDMI VGA USB RJ-45 Audio picture

ASUS PRIME B360M-C MicroATX Intel LGA1151 DDR4 HDMI VGA USB RJ-45 Audio

$34.99



⁠Intel H81 Motherboard M.2 NVMe LGA 1150 mATX w/ IO Shield (Random Slot Color)⁠ picture

⁠Intel H81 Motherboard M.2 NVMe LGA 1150 mATX w/ IO Shield (Random Slot Color)⁠

$29.90



ASUS B85M-G / B85M-G PLUS LGA1150 DDR3 Micro ATX Motherboard HDMI Support 4thCPU picture

ASUS B85M-G / B85M-G PLUS LGA1150 DDR3 Micro ATX Motherboard HDMI Support 4thCPU

$45.00



MSI B460M PRO-VDH WIFI LGA1200 Micro ATX Motherboard picture

MSI B460M PRO-VDH WIFI LGA1200 Micro ATX Motherboard

$94.99