-
Senior Member
registered user
Apt-Get - noobie - help
First, I know of the Apt-get FAQ, and have read it, all through it, and still, as a fledgling in the Linux World, have a question...
Being new to this apt-get and KNOWING that thousands of programs exist out their, how do you find them?
e.g. I want to find Screen Savers? All that comes with Knoppix, even after a HD Install, is RANDOM, and BLANK SCREEN - Now Random would be nice, if only it had more to choose from than itself and a Blank Screen. Blank Screen is nice, but, I come from the world of Windoze, and your personality is strongly based on the kind of SCREEN SAVER you have running...
How does one FIND something to apt-get? I usually post here, and someone says: "just apt-get xxxxxxx" -=- Which is all well and good, but, not at all self sufficient. Rickenbachurus [sp] not making bad blood here, but, when you have millions of "packages", software, programs, utilities, games, etc... to choose from, how does one find something. I've tried google, and i've tried FreshMeat, but, I easily got overwhelmed with screens and screens of programs that seemed to not have anything to do with the querry I asked for. "screen savers" "linux" "download" - and I got windows, unix, PC, laptop, servers, etc... and games, arcade, gameboy, etc... Of the more than 1900 entries, I found only one "screen saver", and it was lame. Even if I did find a screen saver, how does that translate to apt-get ????
A simple GUI to view what IS out their to apt-get ??? That would be nice, even a text file to view, so you can SEE and decide what you want, then apt-get it....
Thanks for any input...
Cuddles
Similar Threads
-
By whablow in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 3
Last Post: 06-06-2004, 12:22 PM
-
By binarybum in forum The Lounge
Replies: 21
Last Post: 06-07-2003, 05:17 AM
-
By binarybum in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 7
Last Post: 05-15-2003, 05:54 AM
-
By neo in forum General Support
Replies: 0
Last Post: 05-07-2003, 07:35 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

TP-Link TL-SG105 5-Port Gigabit Ethernet Unmanaged Metal Desktop Network Switch
$19.99

NETGEAR GS308EP Essential Series 8-Port Gigabit PoE+ Unmanaged Switch
$49.99

D-Link DGS-1210-28P 28-Port PoE Gigabit Web Smart Switch With Cord
$49.99

TP-Link TL-SG1048 48-Port Gigabit Rackmount Switch New Factory Sealed
$199.99

5 Port Gigabit Unmanaged Ethernet Switch, Home Network Hub, Office Ethernet S...
$9.64

TP-Link TL-SG105, 5 Port Gigabit Unmanaged Ethernet Switch, Network Hub, Ethern
$15.25

NETGEAR 5-Port Gigabit Ethernet Unmanaged Switch (Gs305) - Desktop Quiet Fanless
$16.41

10-Port Gigabit PoE Network Switch with 8 PoE+ Ports with 2 Combo SFP Slots 125W
$39.99

Cisco WS-C3650-12X48UR-L 48-Port Stackable Layer 3 8x10G SFP+ Port Switch
$129.99

5Ports Gigabit Network Switch w/ 4 PoE+ Ports Total 52W each port 30W Plug&Play
$31.99