-
Senior Member
registered user
Paradocs wrote:
Welcome Cuddles,
2) On you new system I would go for 512 Meg RAM (total only $80us.)
3) I like running KNOPPIX from the live CD (actually live DVD)
and do serious stuff, I think . When I boot, I know
my operating system has not been messed up.
PASSWORDS I do not think passwords are saved since this would
be done in root directories. If you want privicy, use encryption.
A start up script could re-enter your passwords if you need then.
The commands cdrecord mkiosfs work well. Packet data
is very new for Linux and not supported in KNOPPIX.
So you have to erase a CDRW and the write the whole disk.
I have a project to save persistent home on CDRW. This
is not for a high level user but has some interesting uses.
http://www.knoppix.net/docs/index.php/BurnHome
Thank you Paradocs,
First, thanks for the welcome.
Second, I didn't think the passwords were being saved, just a hope.
Third, I can understand you wanting to use Knoppix as a second OS, but, I have seen many things that MS does, and the security of Windows is almost non-existent, as each new OS they develop has no security carried over from a previous OS they have learned the security leaks from. So, I can see Knoppix as a new OS that has learned from its previous mistakes. I want to convert to Knoppix and use it solely. [if possible]
Fourth, I take it that the commands you have spoke of; CDRecord and MkIosFs, do not show up in the menus in KDE, they must be run in a Root window or something, right?
Fiveth, I am very new to Unix, Linux, and Knoppix - many of the programs that are shown in the KDE Start Menu, I have no clue what they do, or when one would run them. Does anyone have a "Newbie" crash-course book on need-to-know commands, programs, and "How To" information to make Knoppix/Linux/Unix run as secure, Hacker blocking, etc... I have learned a lot of these need to know things from within the Windows OS for many years, so I am able to get around, and know when something needs to be run, or has to be run, and what that program is - I am not this way within this new OS, and want to know.
Sixth, I am not sure if anyone in the Knoppix world has done what I want to do - Complete conversion to Knoppix OS - from what I read in a lot of the posts here, I think I am the only one who wants to. Is Knoppix/Debian to be taken as a viable, taken seriously, OS? Or, is it simply a nice thing to show off, but have another OS, like Windows, running 95% of the time, and run Knoppix say 5% of the time to show off to friends?
I realize that someone claiming that they want to immerse themselves into a OS 100%, and also have almost 0% of the knowledge of that said OS, can be taken as a fool, actually, more appropriately, a fool without a clue. But, I started programming the same way. I had little to no knowledge of programming, but have beat the odds on that one. I see Knoppix not only as a way to get away from the MS security leak problems, but as a OS that is by-far more stable, less bug-ridden, less-back-doors, and far less problematic than its MS opposition. For this reason, I see Knoppix as the Saviour of the Devil -=- Micro$oft.
I hope I am not the only one.
Lastly, I have realized that this move, conversion, to Knoppix is like comparing someone who jumps into a pool without having a clue how deep the water is, and not knowing how to swim. In fact, I can easily say, I didn't have a clue how deep the water really is, and only now, am I seeing the deepness of this water. For this reason, I feel I am playing the fool. I also feel that when I do get Knoppix running "full-blown" and hit the Internet, I am probably going to be "wide open" to attacks. I want to learn before that time, and hope that this forum can help a Brave Soul to accomplish this.
Thanks to everyone here, for the assistance, and to the Creator, and constant Creator's, of Knoppix - for I see that this OS will be the OS to battle the Golliath that is MS, and I see that Knoppix, when it has its small details resolved, will be the OS of chioce. Because MS is not as "open" to seeing what is going on "behind the curtain" as Knoppix is. As the small group going in from of the great Wizzard in the Wizzard of Oz had seen behind the curtain, the great Wizzard was a simple man. Windows is nice, but it does not have this openness as this OS has, and has lost touch with a single users needs, not to mention the needs of security.
Cuddles
Similar Threads
-
By spammehere1234 in forum The Lounge
Replies: 0
Last Post: 08-26-2004, 05:08 AM
-
By PotatoHead in forum The Lounge
Replies: 7
Last Post: 03-14-2004, 07:24 PM
-
By johnsandidge in forum The Lounge
Replies: 4
Last Post: 12-03-2003, 09:09 PM
-
By tearinghairout in forum The Lounge
Replies: 0
Last Post: 11-20-2003, 06:39 PM
-
By in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 2
Last Post: 12-22-2002, 05:01 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Kingston 32GB 64GB 128GB 256GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Thumb Memory Stick Pen lot
$285.90

24x Micron MT40A512M16LY-062E IT:E 8Gb DDR4-3200 96-FBGA Memory IC
$349.99

24x Micron MT40A512M16LY-062E IT:E 8Gb DDR4-3200 96-FBGA Memory IC
$349.99

Dell 16GB PC4-21300 (DDR4-2666) Memory (SNPPWR5TC16G)
$89.99

USB 3.0 Flash Drive 32GB 64GB 128GB Memory Stick Thumb Stick Lot Pack
$826.09

Transcend 96GB (6x16GB) 2Rx8 PC4-2666V DDR4 ECC UDIMM Server RAM TS2GLH72V6B
$299.00

Samsung 32GB DDR4-2666V-2Rx4-RB2-12 RAM M393A4K40CB2-CTD6Q
$169.00

USB 3.0 Micro SD SDHC TF Card Reader Memory Adapter for PC Laptop Camera lot
$3.75

TF/SD Card Adapter Camera Reader Android Type-c For iPhone17 Pro Max Plusm lot
$573.98

Wholesale 5/10/100PCS 1GB 2GB 4GB 8GB 16GB 32GB USB 2.0 Flash Drive Memory Stick
$489.96