-
Senior Member
registered user
I Love IT ! But have some issues with Knoppix
I need some answers to some, probably, simple questions...
BACKGROUND:
1) I have older system, running Win98, 433 Mhz, 320 Meg RAM, with a Sony DVD ROM, and a Optiwrite CD-RW connected to the internal Hard Drive Interface - it is not SCSI, and for the life of me, can't remember the acronym at this time, MFM, RLL, shesh, too many acronyms in the world.
2) I am purchasing a new system at the start of the new year, which will have a 1.7 Ghz, 256 Meg RAM, same DVD and Rewrite CD-RW, same hard drive interface, and an external US Robotics USB modem - instead of the WinModem in my older system.
3) Currently I am running Knoppix from the Live CD on my older system, until I get the new system, and will probably install Knoppix to the new system as the Main OS on the hard drive. Until the new system arrives, and some of my hardware issues can be resolved, see below, Knoppix will be a "Toy" and "Play OS" till I am sure I can migrate without loss of what works at this time on the old system. Excluding the WinModem of course.
Inclusion of posting made within "The Lounge" newsgroup...
HELP !!!
First thing -=- I am running Knoppix on the Live CD.
If I use either a Floppy or HD to hold my configuration settings - i.e. Save Configuration under the KNOPPIX heading -=- Does this save also the PASSWORDS that I set, like the SU account? Or do I have to do a full HD install to retain passwords?
Second thing -=- as suggested by BaldYeti (from The Lounge Forum) -=- I ran Knoppix and placed a blank CD-RW in my CD-RW drive, connected to my internal controller, non-SCSI -=- I forget the interface - shesh -=- and tried something called KWIK"something" - it started and then shutdown. Does these programs that allow rewriting on a cdrom need SU rights? Anyone have experience with using the Live CD and working with CD-RW media? I would like to create a partioned Knoppix area on the rewrite so that I can retain more of my settings inbetween shutdowns and boots. The CD-RW drive has the ability to write packet data, so it should react like a hard drive, only a little slower during the write phase.
Thanks to everyone - amazing how much Unix I am learning - and how many forum discussions I have read here - the help has been fantastic - I tried to find the password setting commands in the HELP screens using a SU/Root window, and had no luck - thanks to the person who posted the FAQ on Unix Commands in the General Support Forum - had an idea what the command was - now I KNOW - PASSWD - saved my sanity
Again, thanks for any assistance on these issues,
Cuddles
Similar Threads
-
By spammehere1234 in forum The Lounge
Replies: 0
Last Post: 08-26-2004, 05:08 AM
-
By PotatoHead in forum The Lounge
Replies: 7
Last Post: 03-14-2004, 07:24 PM
-
By johnsandidge in forum The Lounge
Replies: 4
Last Post: 12-03-2003, 09:09 PM
-
By tearinghairout in forum The Lounge
Replies: 0
Last Post: 11-20-2003, 06:39 PM
-
By in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 2
Last Post: 12-22-2002, 05:01 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Windows XP, Vista, 8.1, Linux Knoppix, Office XP, (6 CDS)
$10.00

KNOPPIX 9.1 Linux Install & Live DVD 32bit & 64bit
$19.99

Knoppix Live GNU Linux System 9.1 on Bootable CD / DVD / USB Flash Drive
$5.99

KNOPPIX USB DVD OS , BEST OF ALL HIGHLY RECOMENDED
$11.99

Knoppix Linux Bootable OS v8.6 "Original Live Operating System" 16G USB Stick
$20.85

Knoppix Linux Bootable OS v8.6 "Original Live Operating System" 32G USB Stick
$21.42

VINTAGE SOFTWARE | KNOPPIX STD 0.1 (SECURITY TOOLS DISTRIBUTION)
$7.57

Knoppix NSM 1.2
$8.00

Hamshack Live DVD-ROM
$7.00

Knoppix 5.0.1 ULTRA RARE Linux DVD - Linux Pro Extra August 2006
$33.58