Hardware or software (winmodem) modem? If it's a winmodem, you will need to look for a driver for it. Start at: linmodems.org
In kde, you can set up with kppp and run the modem test to see if the modem is working.
I have just recieved my Knoppix 3.3 disk. I started it up, and started to set everything up.
When I got to setting up my internet connection/modem I began to experience problems.
After setting up my internet connection, and what I could with the modem, I clicked "Connect" to connect to the internet.
I would get the following messages when clicking "Connect"
"Modem Ready"
"Initializing Modem"
This is where is just sits there. I have waited as long as aprox. 3 minutes and still having that same message. Please help. Thanks.
Hardware or software (winmodem) modem? If it's a winmodem, you will need to look for a driver for it. Start at: linmodems.org
In kde, you can set up with kppp and run the modem test to see if the modem is working.
First of all, what kind of modem is it? Internal, external, what chipset does it use, etc. Have you used the modem with Linux before? If not, are you sure it's not a winmodem? (See www.linmodems.org for info.)
Assuming (for the moment) that you have a modem that works with Linux, first thing to do is go into kppp settings, find the "Query Modem" button, and see if this communicates OK with the modem. If it does, things are looking up. If not, ensure the port the modem is using (eg. /dev/ttyS1 or whatever) is set correctly in kppp.
Post back with your results. If the modem is internal, do an 'lspci' at a terminal and post that too.
Bartman

IBM System X3850-X5 Server w/4x Intel Xeon E7-4870 CPU , 512 GB DDR3 RAM,NO HDD
$1599.99
Unused IBM 09P0037 MAINBOARD For RS/6000 7044-170 P-Series
$375.00
IBM 7915 AC1 M4 E27R704 Server Intel 2650V2 32GB RAM NO HDD w/ 2x 750w PSU
$225.00
IBM QRadar xx29 2x Xeon E5-2650v4 2x 900W PSU M5120 12x 3.5" Bay Server No RAM
$179.99
IBM Power 8 S822L Server 8247-22L POWER8 Enterprise 256GB RAM 2x 00KV626 CPU
$999.99
IBM System x3550 M3 1U Server 2x Xeon E5645, 192GB RAM, 2x 300GB HDD (7944-AC1)
$150.00
IBM SYSTEM X3500 M3 SERVER 7380AC1 TOWER Server XEON E5620 8GB RAID SEE NOTES
$110.30
1 X IBM 720 POWER SERVER WITH 32 GB RAM
$344.97
Lot of 4 IBM 52Y4089 POWER7 CPU Processor Modules Server CPUs
$49.99
Rare Vintage IBM 93ZZ PowerPC Server Board - MCM Ceramic CPU - 40N1844 - 1.1 lbs
$54.99