-
Senior Member
registered user

Originally Posted by
drbfunk
As always I'm extremely thankful for your help.
I went 0 for 3 on the last run however.
What/Where is the Debian LOL?
I meant the Debian repositry so you can install the program you want with apt-get and you were going through all this to install the same program from the usb LOL= laughing out loud. Another trick anytime you run across one of these acronyms (LOL) use dict in a console window eg. dict LOL will use the dictionary program to give you the meaning of most acronyms and if you do not misspell the words to bad will give you suggestions on the proper spelling as well as the meaning of the word.
I tried the cdrom code and now it gives the same Imput/output message but now it adds, "you must specify the filesystem type."
Boy that one is strange what kind of CD is it, can you put it in the drive and access it through the shortcut on the desktop?
I tried the /pendrive tricks with no positive outcome. As long as I can access it now, I think that I'll live with this problem until I can get better aquainted with Linux.
Fair enough I was winging it there anyway it must be something simple though that I can't figure out because you can assess it as root so there is some kind of permission problem for the normal user.
Again, thanks for all your help. How did you get to learn so much of this system? was it books or doing what I'm doing. Can you suggest a good windows to linux book? Thanks. B
Just by reading, searching the web on any errors things like that it's all self taught. Speaking of searching did you know you can type a shortcut in the address bar od Konqueror and a search term and hit enter and have it searched for eg. gg:some search item then enter key would search Google with the term. There is a thread on a book about using Knoppix to get from windows you may want to check it out. Another great place for information is the Debian User mailing list it is very high volume (250-400 mails a day sometimes) mailing list but there is all kinds of good stuff you can learn there you may want to use a news reader to view it you can subscribe to any of the Debian lists here I would suggest the Debian security announce this list gives you announcements of packages that have been upgrade for security reasons usually only 2or 3 emails a week at most sometimes none for weeks.
Some links:
http://www.debian.org/doc/user-manuals
http://newbiedoc.sourceforge.net/
http://burks.brighton.ac.uk/burks/linux/rute/rute.htm
http://linux-newbie.sunsite.dk/
http://www.linuxlinks.com/Beginners/
And if you every want to recompile the kernel.
http://www.osnews.com/story.php?news_id=2949
http://newbiedoc.sourceforge.net/sys...MAL-KERNEL-PKG
Similar Threads
-
By Phishman in forum Networking
Replies: 8
Last Post: 02-25-2005, 11:01 AM
-
By swishsticks in forum General Support
Replies: 3
Last Post: 10-17-2004, 06:08 PM
-
By liquid134 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 3
Last Post: 04-30-2004, 07:07 PM
-
By gizmo in forum General Support
Replies: 2
Last Post: 04-17-2004, 05:12 PM
-
By Preacher_mg in forum General Support
Replies: 1
Last Post: 06-13-2003, 09:41 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Dell EMC PowerEdge R740 8 Bay Server w/ 32GB RAM 2x GOLD 6132 2x 1600W PSU H730p
$499.88

Dell PowerEdge R740xd Dual Intel Silver 4116 @2.1GHz 32GB HBA330 24Bay Server
$525.00

Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD
$275.00

Dell Intel X710-DA2 5N7Y5 Dual-Port 10GbE SFP+ PCIe 3.0 x8 Network Adapter
$27.50

Dell PowerEdge R730 8 Bay Server 64Gb 1x80Gb SSD 3x900Gb SAS 2x12c v4CPU Proxmox
$620.00

Dell PowerEdge R640 1U 8SFF Server Barebones 2x Gold 5120 64GB H330 2x 750w
$238.88

Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Cores / 64gb / Raid / 2x 1Tb
$374.99

Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W
$484.99

DELL POWEREDGE R340 Server | Xeon E-2126G 64GB RAM PERC H330 (Onboard)
$399.95

Dell Poweredge C4130 2x LGA2011-3 1U 4x GPU Rackmount Server CTO (NO CPU/NO RAM)
$299.95