Quote Originally Posted by drbfunk
Thanks Bartman. It's been awhile since I've checked back because the site seemed to be down for a couple days.

Anyway. I did the commands and they worked; I got the contents of the usb drive to display in the shell konsole. But I stilll cannot access the contents from my desktop. And, in the gvim /etc/fstab the word usbdevfs still appears as red. Am I correct in assuming that this word is foriegn to the OS?

thanks,
Dr. B
The colours would be the syntax highlighting in gvim. To get access to the device from the desktop you would edit the /etc/fstab and put a line in it for the /dev/sda1 to be able to make a shortcut on the desktop.
Code:
/dev/sda1       /pendrive     auto      rw,noauto,user     0     0
Now I am not sure of this line I do not have any device to test it with so someone may have a better solution. For this to even have a chance to work you have to use mkdir /pendrive as root to make a directory for the mount point /pendrive you can call this whatever you want too you would just put your choice in the /etc/fstab line in the pendrive's place. Now you should be able to create a shortcut on the desktop by right clicking and choosing create new then Hard Disc and in the device tab choose the /dev/sda1 and make sure the read only is unchecked name the shortcut as you want it to appear on the desktop and save the shortcut. Now plug in the drive and see if you can access it through the shortcut.