Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: Newbie (sorry lol)

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Mississauga, Ontario Canada
    Posts
    7

    Newbie (sorry lol)

    I'm rather new to linux yatta yatta yatta...

    I tried Knoppix, seemed pretty cool, smaller than RedHat and just as easy if not easier to use.

    Anywho, here's my problem (I've gone and made things complicated I think).

    1) I installed RedHat 8 earlier and installed GRUB with it, but RedHat didn't recognize my nForce2 onboard Video and so I wasn't happy. I tried Knoppix, it loaded well so I decided to do a harddrive install of it. However the partition GRUB was installed onto (I'm assuming there's only a 'link' to GRUBs location in the MBR and not the whole program) was reformatted. So now when I boot up I just see "GRUB" appear on the screen and nothing else. So I guess my question is, how do I fix this? how can I install GRUB and have it show both Windows and Knoppix?

    2) This is more of a hardware based question, but instead of starting two threads I figured it'd be safe to just add on. As stated above I have an nForce2 chipset, and I've read/heard that it's not widely supported in Linux. Anyway I can't get my Network card to work. I've glanced at a few threads about it but most didn't seem to help, and I think most were refering to Rev 3.2, and I think I'm on 3.3. I'm not sure how big a difference there is, or what extra is included, but I thought it worth mentioning.

    So in short, I would like to know how to install and configure GRUB, and how to get drivers that work for my NIC.

    Thanks ^_^

  2. #2
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Mississauga, Ontario Canada
    Posts
    7
    I used install-mbr to make a MBR on a floppy, it allowed me to get back into Windows XP. Is there a way to customize that and load GRUB into the MBR of my harddrive, instead of a floppy?

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Mississauga, Ontario Canada
    Posts
    7
    well I compiled the RPM that I think I need for my NIC, but I can't install it unless I have Alien, or use Alien or something. I couldn't find it in the installation, any idea where I could find it?

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Mississauga, Ontario Canada
    Posts
    7
    Well that didn't work either. Network card still doesn't work, or is unrecognized.

    Anyway, thanks for all your help :P

    I'm still screwed.

  5. #5
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts
    2,479
    Quote Originally Posted by Animekiksazz
    Well that didn't work either. Network card still doesn't work, or is unrecognized.

    Anyway, thanks for all your help :P

    I'm still screwed.
    Have you checked Overclockix it has support for those boards in the distribution.

  6. #6
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Mississauga, Ontario Canada
    Posts
    7
    I have heard of it, I was just hoping I didn't have to download a whole new 'distro'.

    But I suppose it's worth a shot.

    Thanks ^_^

  7. #7
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Mississauga, Ontario Canada
    Posts
    7
    Well I've got Overclockix, and it's installed, and the internet works, and I have a bootloader (LILO, though it only lists Knoppix), but certain programs and options don't seem to load. It seems to be the same problem I had with RedHat once before, with Knoqbrowser, Karamba, Desktop settings etc...

    Any clues?

  8. #8
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Mississauga, Ontario Canada
    Posts
    7
    Installed an old 3Com NIC, Knoppix works fine now. Overclockix was just screwy.

    Anywho still got a problem though.

    I can't access my windows network. In konqbrowser it says I need to load lisa daemon, when I load it it says the port is already in use, so I figure it's running. But I load it and tell it to use a different port anyway and it still doesn't work. I try LinNeighborhood, I get some what further in that I can see the other machines, but I can't see their shares.

    Could anyone shine some light on this for me?

    2 of the Windows machines are XP pro, and one is Win2k.

Similar Threads

  1. Help to a newbie:)
    By ceviz in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-04-2004, 02:24 AM
  2. newbie here, please help ^_^
    By hitokiri007 in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-25-2004, 07:56 AM
  3. An easy newbie question - very newbie
    By Drago in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 10-21-2003, 10:10 PM
  4. What's it like being a newbie?
    By KH in forum The Lounge
    Replies: 31
    Last Post: 05-25-2003, 08:26 AM
  5. newbie needs some help
    By dichiam120 in forum General Support
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 05-12-2003, 10:40 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


TP-Link TL-SG105 5-Port Gigabit Ethernet Unmanaged Metal Desktop Network Switch picture

TP-Link TL-SG105 5-Port Gigabit Ethernet Unmanaged Metal Desktop Network Switch

$19.99



NETGEAR GS308EP Essential Series 8-Port Gigabit PoE+ Unmanaged Switch picture

NETGEAR GS308EP Essential Series 8-Port Gigabit PoE+ Unmanaged Switch

$49.99



TP-Link 5-Port Gigabit Unmanaged Ethernet Switch Network Expansion TL-SG105 picture

TP-Link 5-Port Gigabit Unmanaged Ethernet Switch Network Expansion TL-SG105

$19.95



5Ports Gigabit Network Switch w/ 4 PoE+ Ports Total 52W each port 30W Plug&Play picture

5Ports Gigabit Network Switch w/ 4 PoE+ Ports Total 52W each port 30W Plug&Play

$31.99



10-Port Gigabit PoE Network Switch with 8 PoE+ Ports with 2 Combo SFP Slots 125W picture

10-Port Gigabit PoE Network Switch with 8 PoE+ Ports with 2 Combo SFP Slots 125W

$39.99



5 Port Gigabit Unmanaged Ethernet Switch, Home Network Hub, Office Ethernet S... picture

5 Port Gigabit Unmanaged Ethernet Switch, Home Network Hub, Office Ethernet S...

$9.64



TP-Link TL-SG2210P 10-Port Gigabit Smart Switch w/ 8-Port PoE+ NO AC SKU 25597 picture

TP-Link TL-SG2210P 10-Port Gigabit Smart Switch w/ 8-Port PoE+ NO AC SKU 25597

$36.98



Arista DCS-7050SX-64-R 48P 10GbE SFP+ 4P 40GbE QSFP+ RA Switch picture

Arista DCS-7050SX-64-R 48P 10GbE SFP+ 4P 40GbE QSFP+ RA Switch

$115.00



Linksys LGS328MPC 24-Port Managed Gigabit PoE+ Switch with 4 10G SFP+ Uplinks picture

Linksys LGS328MPC 24-Port Managed Gigabit PoE+ Switch with 4 10G SFP+ Uplinks

$224.95



Cisco Catalyst 2960-48TT-L 48-Port Fast Ethernet Managed Rackmount Switch picture

Cisco Catalyst 2960-48TT-L 48-Port Fast Ethernet Managed Rackmount Switch

$46.99