Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: Help writing a new boot sector

  1. #1
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    11

    Help writing a new boot sector

    Hi, Im new in using Linux and knoppix. I have knoppix 3.2 installed on a 4 gig hd and have a 30 gig partioned to 2 15 gig hd's. One partion has windows 2000 pro and the other has xp pro. I had knoppix showing up when I would start my computer and i had to reload windows xp due to a problem that I had and it wipped out the scree that would let me start knoppix. Is there a way to set up that screen again so I can boot from all of the os's without reinstalling any of them. If so can someone give me step by step instructions because like i said earlyier I am new with linux so I don't know much about it. Thanks

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts
    2,479

    Re: Help writing a new boot sector

    Quote Originally Posted by ssnow
    Hi, Im new in using Linux and knoppix. I have knoppix 3.2 installed on a 4 gig hd and have a 30 gig partioned to 2 15 gig hd's. One partion has windows 2000 pro and the other has xp pro. I had knoppix showing up when I would start my computer and i had to reload windows xp due to a problem that I had and it wipped out the scree that would let me start knoppix. Is there a way to set up that screen again so I can boot from all of the os's without reinstalling any of them. If so can someone give me step by step instructions because like i said earlyier I am new with linux so I don't know much about it. Thanks
    If you can still boot the HD install of knoppix with the boot floppy you should have made when you installed then boot to knoppix and become root by opening a console window (clam shell icon on the taskbar) type su then enter type in your root password enter again, you are now root and type /sbin/lilo -v and enter key once more to have lilo write itself to the MBR with the configuration that you were already using and things should now be back to the way they were. If you did not make the boot floppy then boot the Knoppix cd and open a console window and use these steps:
    Code:
    sudo mount /dev/hd?? /mnt/hd??
    sudo chroot /mnt/hd?? /sbin/lilo -v
    Replace the ?? with the drive letter and partition number of the / partition of the knoppix install. note: If the chroot line fails you may need /mnt/hd??/ in the line, it's been a while since I have done this so I'm not sure.

  3. #3
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    11
    Thanks for the help that worked great.
    I tried to use my boot floppy but that didn't work so I used the cd but is there a way to create a new boot disk. Remeber i need it to be step by step i am new with linux. Thankx

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts
    2,479
    Quote Originally Posted by ssnow
    Thanks for the help that worked great.
    I tried to use my boot floppy but that didn't work so I used the cd but is there a way to create a new boot disk. Remeber i need it to be step by step i am new with linux. Thankx
    1. Open console window (clam shell icon on taskbar)
    2. Type su then enter key
    3. Type in root password and enter key again you are now root
    4. mkboot enter key once more
    5. Follow instructions and choose the V for vanillia it is the safest choice.
    6. Reboot and test the floppy.

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-16-2005, 11:39 AM
  2. Hard disk boot sector invalid
    By NEOMinds in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 11-23-2004, 02:52 AM
  3. Boot sector
    By djordie in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 10-25-2003, 10:52 PM
  4. Writing to a (ext3) hard disk from cd boot
    By conor in forum General Support
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 10-22-2003, 07:41 PM
  5. Crashed HDD - Bad sector 64 - Please help!
    By Andy© in forum General Support
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 08-06-2003, 09:05 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


TP-Link TL-SG105 5-Port Gigabit Ethernet Unmanaged Metal Desktop Network Switch picture

TP-Link TL-SG105 5-Port Gigabit Ethernet Unmanaged Metal Desktop Network Switch

$19.99



Cisco Catalyst 2960-48TT-L 48-Port Fast Ethernet Managed Rackmount Switch picture

Cisco Catalyst 2960-48TT-L 48-Port Fast Ethernet Managed Rackmount Switch

$46.99



TP-Link TL-SG1048 48-Port Gigabit Rackmount Switch New Factory Sealed picture

TP-Link TL-SG1048 48-Port Gigabit Rackmount Switch New Factory Sealed

$199.99



NETGEAR GS308EP Essential Series 8-Port Gigabit PoE+ Unmanaged Switch picture

NETGEAR GS308EP Essential Series 8-Port Gigabit PoE+ Unmanaged Switch

$49.99



5 Port Gigabit Unmanaged Ethernet Switch, Home Network Hub, Office Ethernet S... picture

5 Port Gigabit Unmanaged Ethernet Switch, Home Network Hub, Office Ethernet S...

$9.64



10-Port Gigabit PoE Network Switch with 8 PoE+ Ports with 2 Combo SFP Slots 125W picture

10-Port Gigabit PoE Network Switch with 8 PoE+ Ports with 2 Combo SFP Slots 125W

$39.99



TP-Link TL-SG2210P 10-Port Gigabit Smart Switch w/ 8-Port PoE+ NO AC SKU 25597 picture

TP-Link TL-SG2210P 10-Port Gigabit Smart Switch w/ 8-Port PoE+ NO AC SKU 25597

$36.98



Arista DCS-7010T-48-R 48P 1GbE 4P 10GbE SFP+ RA Switch with rack mounts picture

Arista DCS-7010T-48-R 48P 1GbE 4P 10GbE SFP+ RA Switch with rack mounts

$69.00



Linksys LGS328MPC 24-Port Managed Gigabit PoE+ Switch with 4 10G SFP+ Uplinks picture

Linksys LGS328MPC 24-Port Managed Gigabit PoE+ Switch with 4 10G SFP+ Uplinks

$224.95



Cisco WS-C3650-12X48UR-L 48-Port Stackable Layer 3 8x10G SFP+ Port Switch picture

Cisco WS-C3650-12X48UR-L 48-Port Stackable Layer 3 8x10G SFP+ Port Switch

$129.99