Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: recommend external 56k modem?

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    9

    recommend external 56k modem?

    Can someone recommend a good linux compatible, external 56k serial modem? I just ordered knoppix 3.3 and mandrake 9.2. I'm looking for something that will work straight from the box.

    I bought a "Creative modem Blaster" this past spring, from "Worst Buy" and the stupid thing wigged out on me within two months. Now I'm out $89 and I doubt it's possible to fix it.

    I found this link and I was looking at the "CenDyne 56K V.92 External Serial Modem ." I can't buy anything more expensive, not that it would really be any better, at the moment.

    Any thoughts?

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    107
    Any external serial modem is Linux compatible. Buy the cheapest oem clone you can find; you will have a one-year warranty from your supplier. They are all mass-produced; some are branded and sell for three times more. If they are going to fail, they usually fail within a few weeks/months. Be sure to protect against surges and lightning strikes.
    OB.

  3. #3
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    47
    US Robotics Sportster. Infallible.

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Rio Claro - SP - BRASIL
    Posts
    6
    hi,
    I buyed this:
    http://www.linuxmall.com.br/cart/?pa...084ff05c53cd6a

    the modem is a very good
    but the price is a very high

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    9
    Guess I never put the link in! Oh, well.
    Here it is if anyone was interested: http://www.compgeeks.com/products.asp?cat=MDM"

    Thanks for the info.

    Not that it's related but.....
    I just got my iomega zip drive to work under knop 3.1, woohooo!

Similar Threads

  1. usb external modem not found - help
    By Cuddles in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 01-02-2004, 02:19 AM
  2. ELSA External Modem
    By DavidTempler in forum Networking
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 07-04-2003, 07:15 PM
  3. ELSA External Modem
    By DavidTempler in forum Networking
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 06-18-2003, 10:27 AM
  4. ambient external modem
    By sopo in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-29-2003, 11:40 AM
  5. external 56k modem
    By in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12-26-2002, 07:20 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


🔀 Juniper Networks EX2300-C-12P 12× Gigabit PoE+ • 2× 10G SFP+ Compact Switch ⚡ picture

🔀 Juniper Networks EX2300-C-12P 12× Gigabit PoE+ • 2× 10G SFP+ Compact Switch ⚡

$109.99



Juniper EX2300 12-Port Gigabit PoE+ Managed Network Switch P/N: EX2300-C-12P picture

Juniper EX2300 12-Port Gigabit PoE+ Managed Network Switch P/N: EX2300-C-12P

$149.99



Juniper EX4400-EM-4S expansion modules picture

Juniper EX4400-EM-4S expansion modules

$599.00



Juniper Networks EX3400-24T 24-Port Ethernet Switch w/Power Cord picture

Juniper Networks EX3400-24T 24-Port Ethernet Switch w/Power Cord

$174.99



Juniper Networks AP33-US Indoor Wifi6 (US Version) 5GHz: 4x4:4; 2.99 picture

Juniper Networks AP33-US Indoor Wifi6 (US Version) 5GHz: 4x4:4; 2.99

$24.99



Juniper MX204 +JUNOS and Dual Power Supply picture

Juniper MX204 +JUNOS and Dual Power Supply

$7299.99



Juniper EX-4PST-RMK Adjustable 4-Post Rack Mount Kit NEW Factory Sealed picture

Juniper EX-4PST-RMK Adjustable 4-Post Rack Mount Kit NEW Factory Sealed

$150.00



Juniper EX2300-C 12 Port Compact Gigabit Switch EX2300-C-12p Discounted Cosmetic picture

Juniper EX2300-C 12 Port Compact Gigabit Switch EX2300-C-12p Discounted Cosmetic

$79.86



Juniper EX3400-24P 24-Port PoE+ GbE + 4-Port 1/10Gb SFP Switch picture

Juniper EX3400-24P 24-Port PoE+ GbE + 4-Port 1/10Gb SFP Switch

$245.00



Juniper Networks Mist Wireless Access Points, Model AP45 picture

Juniper Networks Mist Wireless Access Points, Model AP45

$59.99