Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Problems with NVIDIA® GeForceFX5200 Go Graphics chipset with

  1. #1
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    27

    Problems with NVIDIA® GeForceFX5200 Go Graphics chipset with

    Hi in my toshiba laptop i have an NVIDIA® GeForceFX5200 Go Graphics chipset with 64MB DDR Video memory video card and knoppix doesn't automatically install it. I'm forced to use vesa which doesnt have a nice sharp display, doesnt look to nice.

    Does any one know what steps I should take to get my video card to work with knoppix, I'm afraid to trying this and then end up loosing my stuff and reinstalling knoppix again because I f***ed up my display.

    I configured and compiled the drivers from the nvidia website, but what do I do now, its not listed in xf86config. Specific steps would be appreciated as I am still new.

    Thank you all in advance for your help, knoppix rules !

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    1,353
    I believe that all you need to do is download and run Kano's install script. Then the drivers will be automatically downloaded and installed for you.

    You can get it here:
    http://debian.tu-bs.de/knoppix/Kano/...tall-nvidia.sh

    After downloading it, make it executable like this:
    chmod +x install-nvidia.sh

    Then run it as root like this:
    ./install-nvidia.sh

    I would run it with X closed however.

    I believe this script is a variation on Fabian's CD version, which you can find here:

    http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4016#18817

  3. #3
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    27
    Thanks alot aay for your help. I dowloaded the script and ran it. It connects but can't seem to download it, "connection timed out" and crap like that, it keeps on retrying but doesn't get it.

    I opened the script and its kind of clear what it does, can I just do those steps manually myself or is that too dangerous.

    Thank you all.

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    1,353
    That's kind of odd since the script downloads the drivers from Nvidia's site via wget. Perhaps Nvidia moved the drivers. You might want to check that out and either change the download location in the script or simply download them and execute the remaining commands in the script after that.

  5. #5
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    27
    I wasnt able to install it manually after trying for an hour. But using the generic nv drivers seems to work really well, sharp image etc..

    But the problem I'm having now is that the whole display is a box in the middle of the screen. How do I get it to fit the screen. settings res. in xfree didn't work.

    Thanks again for all your help aay.

  6. #6
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    1,353
    Hmm. Not sure about this one. I'll try and look for it, but maybe someone else will be able to chime in with help.

  7. #7
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    QLD, Australia
    Posts
    6
    Quote Originally Posted by abouzeis
    But the problem I'm having now is that the whole display is a box in the middle of the screen. How do I get it to fit the screen.
    On the face of it, it sounds like a misconfigured /etc/XF86Config-4 file... post a copy of this file here, let's see if there's any obvious probs...

    Bartman

  8. #8
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    27
    Hi, I'm not on my machine so I cant post the xf86config file now, I will later today. I reinstalled knoppix after booting with fb1024x768, that solved the problem but the screen is 640x480 though. every time I change it in xconfig and reboot, it returns back to 640x480.

  9. #9
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    14
    I have also been having a problem with my knoppix 3.3 using a Nvidia geforce 5200...

    When i boot from the cd the xserver tries to start and retries twice more and ultimately fails with an error it says that it cant find something for my graphics card (sorry i dont have the screen in front of me cause i cant get it to work right!).

    Any ideas on a fix?

    Perhaps there will be an update or a knoppix that will also have the Nvidea driver as part of the autodetect and install process?

    Oh yeah, I have tried starting using the fb cheat which will then tell me that it is a wrong value and i have to either hit return to choose a new one (all of which arent to great) or i can continue.....whats this all about?

    Thanks

  10. #10
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    colorado springs, colorado
    Posts
    1,933
    Based on Knoppix 3.2 Overclockix has the nvidia drivers already on the cd. Thanks Arkaine. It might be worth a shot. It saved my bacon on my Asus/nvidia board.

    I of course cannot speak for Klaus but I don't know if we'll ever see the nvidia video driver in Knoppix due to the licensing.

Similar Threads

  1. Nvidia graphics driver..
    By williamb in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-11-2005, 02:49 AM
  2. Problems booting from ISO (graphics?)
    By Hr.Viktor in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 05-04-2005, 11:25 AM
  3. "AMD64 + nvidia-chipset" causing knoppix64 not to
    By Bresso in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-21-2004, 01:26 PM
  4. Stuck (graphics problems as always)
    By Lengths in forum Laptops
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-29-2004, 08:22 PM
  5. Any problems with kt600 chipset?
    By arkaine23 in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-05-2004, 09:55 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


OPNsense pfSense 8-Core Atom C3758 2.2GHz 8GB DDR4 64GB SSD 8x NIC QAT AES VPN picture

OPNsense pfSense 8-Core Atom C3758 2.2GHz 8GB DDR4 64GB SSD 8x NIC QAT AES VPN

$125.00



pfSense Firewall 16-Core Atom C3958 8GB DDR4 RAM 64GB SSD 8x 1Gbe QAT AES-NI VPN picture

pfSense Firewall 16-Core Atom C3958 8GB DDR4 RAM 64GB SSD 8x 1Gbe QAT AES-NI VPN

$184.99



OPNsense pfSense 16-Core Atom C3958 16GB ECC RAM 512GB SSD 8-Port QAT AES-NI VPN picture

OPNsense pfSense 16-Core Atom C3958 16GB ECC RAM 512GB SSD 8-Port QAT AES-NI VPN

$298.00



SonicWall TZ280 Firewall 03-SSC-6933 Advanced Edition 3YR NEW SEALED picture

SonicWall TZ280 Firewall 03-SSC-6933 Advanced Edition 3YR NEW SEALED

$999.99



Fortinet FortiGate 60F FG-60F P24286-03-13 Network Firewall Security Appliance picture

Fortinet FortiGate 60F FG-60F P24286-03-13 Network Firewall Security Appliance

$155.75



Palo Alto PA-220 Next-Gen Firewall 520-000309-00J picture

Palo Alto PA-220 Next-Gen Firewall 520-000309-00J

$40.00



Fortinet FortiGate 60F FG-60F UTM UTP License Until 2027 Network Security FW VPN picture

Fortinet FortiGate 60F FG-60F UTM UTP License Until 2027 Network Security FW VPN

$219.99



📡 Fortinet FortiGate FG-40F Network Security Firewall Appliance No Pwr Adapter picture

📡 Fortinet FortiGate FG-40F Network Security Firewall Appliance No Pwr Adapter

$79.99



NETGEAR ProSafe 8-Port Gigabit VPN Firewall FVS318G NEW IN BOX picture

NETGEAR ProSafe 8-Port Gigabit VPN Firewall FVS318G NEW IN BOX

$69.99



Cisco Meraki MX67-HW Security Appliance Firewall NEW Unused Unclaimed picture

Cisco Meraki MX67-HW Security Appliance Firewall NEW Unused Unclaimed

$202.50