-
Which came first....
Hello this is a question that I am sure confuses even the elite!
This is what I know...
A linux (*nix) GUI consists of a desktop environment, and a windowing environment. There was X386 and Xfree86 was made as a "free" implementation (like linux is to unix) and included free instead of 3 for the pun/joke name. But I don't know anything else. Can someone explain what and how it all works together (with maybe some time lines and explain the functions of each) so that it makes sense to a compete tool like me?
Differences like:
X,
X11,
X-windows,
X386 -> Xfree86,
KDE, Gnome and others
How are they different, who made what, when. How is it that there is no (basic) rundown of how it all works, and why hasn't anyone asked it before. I know you have all wondered about it! COME ON FACE IT!!!
-
See this has been read 76 times, yet not one person has replied!
I knew it wasn't only me that couldn't figure this out.
If anyone can draw a picture like this it would help:
+-------------------+
+ . KDE/GNOME . + Desktop Environment
+-------------------+
+ . . . . X . . . . . . + Windowing Environment
+-------------------+
+ . . . . OS . . . . . + Operating System
+-------------------+
Desktop Environment- The Desktop Environment's job is...
Windowing Environment- The Windowing Environment's job is...
X11 is...
X is...
Xfree86 is...
I don't know if any of this is correct but it feels right, so don't quote me on it.
-
Never mind, I finally found a site that makes it clear!
http://www.linux-mag.com/2001-12/xfree86_01.html
-
Senior Member
registered user
Sorry Hunkah, I am just learning to get around, let alone figure anything out... [giggle]
First, considering I haven't looked at the site you posted, I am strictly going from my own history, and background. Which, sorry to admit, is Strictly M$ based.
This is what I know,
BIOS - simple Basic Input/Output System - only deals with the Very-Low, bare-root, processor communication, used to get to OS up, at least.
OS - Operating System - basically gets you to working with the CPU, memory, and peripheral devices - which in the early days - was simply a command prompt.
GUI - Graphical User Interface - again - in the early days - was simply a FRONT-END to the command prompt. It allowed a "user" to click something, and the something translated to commands to the command prompt.
Now-a-days, shesh... I think the "X" is a GUI, your Root Shell is a command prompt, KDE is a GUI, GNOME is a GUI, Knoppix/Debian/Linux/Unix/Red Hat/Mandrake are all GUI's with sub-sets to the command prompt, and thus are OS's???????
Ok, I admit it, I need to look at that web-link site you posted HUH? [giggle]
Oh well, I thought your post was a valid question, in fact, I ADMIT that I was watching the thread to get any answers as well. Being new to the World of Linux, I am amazed that something this good - I hadn't seen it sooner, but then again, I blame M$ for that -=- I was blinded by the OL' MIGHTY POWER OF M$ -=- yeah, thats it ! [LOL] Sorry to say M$, I was blinded by the [fake] Sceince that you tout.
And with that -=- as every "evangelical TV preacher would say:"
I HAVE SEEN THE LIGHT!!!!!!
LOL
Thanks Hunkah, for getting the answer... I'm off to see the "Wizard", and not the one that M$ shows me 
Cuddles
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Mini Computer Vacuum USB Keyboard Cleaner PC Laptop Brush Dust Cleaning Kit NEW
$13.89

LEVOIT Cordless Vacuum Cleaner, Stick Vac with Tangle-Resistant Design, Up to...
$162.04

2-in-1 Compressed Air Duster & Vacuum, Brushless Motor, 320000RPM
$37.99

Cordless Air Duster & Vacuum Cleaner for Keyboard & PC Cleaning - 110000RPM Powe
$53.99

US Mini Computer Vacuum USB Keyboard Cleaner PC Laptop Brush Dust Cleaning Kits
$13.89

2 in 1 Compressed Air Duster Air Blower & Vacuum Cleaner Cordless Duster Blower
$16.99

Compressed Air Duster&Vacuum Cleaner, 2-In-1 130000RPM Cordless Air Blower
$69.64

Car Vacuum Portable Cordless, 50000Pa High Power Brushless Motor, Rechargeable H
$104.98

Electric Air Duster Blower High Power Cordless Cleaner for PC Laptop Keyboard
$17.99

Cordless Handheld Vacuum Cleaner Compatible with DeWalt 20V Battery
$107.67